1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Plugging frame hole in body mount

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JohnnyRed, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Aug 8, 2017 at 7:13 PM
    JohnnyRed

JohnnyRed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB TRD Sport
    I've seen a old threads of a few people asking how to plug the hole in the frame in the front body mounts. I found a solution, and best of all, you can do it for free.

Here's the hole I'm talking about. (sorry it's not in focus, the hole in the back)

After some careful measuring I found that it's diameter is 2.25", the same size as 90950-01234, which is also the same body plug found that covers the rear cab body mounting bolt (inside the cabin)...I think it's the same plug for Access cabs, can someone confirm? So, you can either order 2 new ones of these, or steal the plugs from the inside of your truck. Here's a link that shows the caps I'm talking about (see 4th photo): https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/body-mount-bushing-install-now-with-pictures.432885/

If you have long skinny fingers you can do this without removing your cab mount bolt....but it's tough.

Apply a little grease around the rim of the plug to help it slide into place.

Place 1 end in and work your way around until it sets in place. It helps if you push from the middle too. Don't bend or push too hard from 1 side or it may pop through the hole and land in the frame. (it happened to me once but I fished it out from the back).

Done. (I took this photo while doing cab mount bushings)

Who knows if it helps, but hey, it only cost a few $ or free if you borrow your plug from the interior.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    SR-71A, TireFire, whatstcp and 7 others like this.
  2. Aug 8, 2017 at 9:01 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Oh wow! Well done! This was on my list and I never got around to it. Thanks!

3. Aug 8, 2017 at 9:05 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    What is the purpose of plugging up this hole?

I would think that sealing it off would allow moisture to collect and rot the frame.

whatstcp likes this.
  4. Aug 8, 2017 at 9:13 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Plug the hole so road spray doesn't enter from the cab mount hole and rot frame. The frame can still drain moisture as it has holes on the bottom. Hard to explain with words, but I can assure you the op did good for all of us!

buzzkill911, Jimmyh and TRDSport10 like this.
  5. Aug 8, 2017 at 10:56 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Thanks. I haven't looked at the frame much as I live in SC and there is no road salt and no frame issues.

327 and Crom like this.
  6. Aug 9, 2017 at 4:46 AM
    JohnnyRed

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB TRD Sport
    I recently bought the truck and the frame is in decent shape, so I've been a little ocd about trying to keep my frame in good shape. Lol

You'll notice the yellow paint, that's all Eastwood internal frame coating, then I used POR 15 on all the parts I could reach. I also plugged most of the holes I could find with various body plus. It's been an ongoing battle.

Crom likes this.
  7. Oct 25, 2017 at 5:31 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I ordered 2x of these to finally do this. So far I’ve lost one to the frame, unable to fish the fucker out, and the other one is not wanting to seat in place. I can’t tell if it’s just not wanting to pop into place or if it genuinely doesn’t fit for some reason. I pressed it into the hole as much as I could and it just fell right back off like it didn’t want to seat or was too small. Then I tried to push against it with a screwdriver while I mashed on the edges and the screwdriver poked a hole through it lol. It’s been a cluster fuck. But OP used same part # right so it can’t be that it doesn’t fit. I’ll have to try the grease thing I guess.

Crom likes this.
  8. Oct 26, 2017 at 3:08 PM
    JohnnyRed

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB TRD Sport
    Yes, Grease is your friend. I don't think I could have done it without it.

I lost one in the frame but was able to fish it out of the back opening about where your transmission cross member is. I think I have small hands and skinny arms though.

It's significantly easier to reach if you can get the body mount bolt out of the way. They aren't hard to remove and will give you tons of room without having that bolt stab you in the back of the hand.

9. Oct 27, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I’m a skinny ass dude so I’ll have to give it another go at retrieval. Tried using a coat hanger but there is a lip or something in the way and some wiring I ran up the frame so it’s giving me issues. And my frame is coated with undercoat sludge so it’s a mess.

The body mount bolt itself just comes right out doesn’t it? Cause I see what your saying, that would give significant clearance to get my hand up in there to apply even pressure.

10. Oct 27, 2017 at 1:15 PM
    JohnnyRed

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB TRD Sport
    Yep, the cab mount is pretty easy to disconnect & remove that bolt for more clearance. All it takes is a 17mm deep socket. You can see how to access the front bolts in the first few photos of this thread:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/body-mount-bushing-install-now-with-pictures.432885/

It's also possible that that front bolt plug you remove is the same plug you're using for the frame. If so, you could borrow one from there to replace the one you lost in your frame (if you can't fish it out). I know the rear plugs on the double cab are the same so you could grab one from there too.

SR-71A likes this.
  11. Oct 27, 2017 at 1:56 PM
    Fitz235

Fitz235 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Black '22 DCSB TRD Offroad 4WD
    - TRD T4R Pro Wheels - TRD Lift Kit - TRD Skid Plate - 265/70/17 Toyo Open Country 3's - OEM Bed Lights - OEM Bed mat - Alpharex Tail Lights - TacomaBeast LED Interior Lights - Green Lane Offroad Aluminum Sliders - Place Holder for More Bad Financial Decisions...
    Yeah, way to contribute.

I've heard this hole mentioned before myself, and it is in direct path of salty spray from the front wheels. With all the other plugs that come in the kit I ordered, they don't give you one for that. That's probably where most of the water that enters the frame comes from. Right by the spot that always rots from the inside (by the cats).

12. Aug 2, 2018 at 4:54 AM
    deanosaurus

deanosaurus Caveman

Member:
    Northeast Region
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR AC
    Don't want to start a new thread and I figure someone will find this thread just like I did (thanks, OP).

I just got my frame coated at the dealer and bought a pair of these in advance, since the work order didn't show them (but it did show two other frame plug kits). Got the truck home and found to my delight that the dealer installs them gratis and didn't bother to mention it.

(edit: gone!) So, if you need two cab mount frame plugs, (xxxxx-01234), I have to unused ones here for the asking. Just post up here you're taking them and PM me with a mailing address. (edit: gone!)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  13. Aug 2, 2018 at 5:57 AM
    JohnnyRed

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB TRD Sport
    @deanosaurus Did you ask the dealer to install the plugs? Or say what you were doing with them? I'm wondering how they knew where to install them...

14. Aug 2, 2018 at 6:49 AM
    nickonfire700

nickonfire700 Reg. Cab Nation Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab SR5 4x4
    Satoshi grill, 3rd Gen TRDOR Bucket Seats, TRD front skid plate, TRD Beadlock Wheels, TRD Exhaust, OEM bed mat, LCE Header, LCE Balance Shaft Delete, ECGS front diff bushing, TRD Sport LSD rear diff, Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport fog lights, Stainless Steel Brake-lines, No A/C with Defrost mod, 2014 OEM Radio, Illuminating 4x4 switch, Various LEDs, UWS Toolbox, Proven Design Products Mudflaps, Bilstein 8112 front Coilovers w/ rear Bilstein 5125's/IronMan lift leaf springs, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, JBAs HD UCAs, SOS Bolt-On rock sliders, TRD bedside decals, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Relocated rear diff breather, 2019 Steering wheel, color matched door handles
    If no one has asked for the plugs, I would like to use them on my truck! Thanks!

15. Aug 2, 2018 at 7:49 AM
    srspicer

srspicer Paint it black

Member:
    Lower Bucks PA.
    Vehicle:
    05' Black DBLC short bed
    Painting things black
    I would love a set as I am getting ready to clean & paint my frame!!

16. Aug 2, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    Nomad_Pilot

Nomad_Pilot I need to pewp

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Ft Collins
    If my undercarriage looked like that I would rip someones head clean off and spit in their neck hole. That looks awful.

17. Aug 2, 2018 at 9:20 AM
    deanosaurus

deanosaurus Caveman

Member:
    Northeast Region
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR AC
    I don't think the cab mount plugs are part of the specification for the CRC recall work, but the dealer I went to Toyota Direct in Columbus, OH - edit: I no longer recommend them - they botched the job horrifically.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    TRDSport10 likes this.
  18. Aug 2, 2018 at 11:26 AM
    JohnnyRed

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCLB TRD Sport
    @deanosaurus No, those plugs are were part of the CRC work....at least the older docs I've seen have not included them. I wonder if Toyota has mined this form looking for complaints, then found this solution themselves....or stumbled upon this thread.....or what. Either way, sounds like you have a great dealer!

19. Mar 11, 2019 at 10:50 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I’m going to bump this because I finally got around to reattempting this and getting it done. Definitely better to just remove the cab mount bolt and lower bushing.

I’ve since ordered 2 more to do the same on my 4Runner to prevent further rust development from road debris/water/salt.

Good mod and is literally free if you utilize the interior cab mount covers near the storage bins.

TRDSport10 and JohnnyRed[OP] like this.
  20. Dec 20, 2021 at 3:42 PM
    TOMB

TOMB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Newington Ct. 06111
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access cab Sport -super white
    Changed all drain plugs to Dimple Magnetic plugs UNI filter on air pump
    @JohnnyRed
    I have 2013 Access Cab TRD Sport, I checked my cab mount today and the inner hole was plugged /capped .

I don't know if it came from the factory that way probally did but it was sealed with what they are using on the frame campaigns .

There isn't any rust/corrosion anywhere as I have my truck Fluid Filmed every year .

O issues .

TOMB
    Central Connecticut

Products Discussed in

To Top