1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Polaris Bogs down under WOT

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by WhiskeyDeltaTango, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

WhiskeyDeltaTango [OP] Resident Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1
    I think I used it just about everytime, except when it's already warm of course. Why?

2. Feb 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    brett1586

brett1586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Athens, Ohio
    X2

If you get in to the carb check around the float to make sure nothing is impeding its movement, and also make sure there are no holes in the float itslef. Give everything a good thorough cleaning. Air filter and intake are also a great bit of advice.

3. Feb 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Many times sluggish acceleration can be attributed to running rich. These conditions also make it so that you almost never need the choke to start the bike, even from cold. I didn't think it was the case, but I wanted to find out.

4. Feb 21, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1
    ok so this update is a little belated, but I took the carb off, took it apart and (drum roll please) ...... nothing. clean as a whistle with the exception of a little dirt in the drain plug underneath the main jet.

however, there were some issues with the vacuum and vent hoses. My genious "father in law" plug the vent tubes with nails! it's ok.. you can call him an idiot. also, the vacuum hose was torn but is now replaced.

fixing the hoses did help a little. seems to be able to get to 80-85% throttle, but still not WOT. We also tried adjusting the air screw in the case it was running lean, but that didn't help either.

Sooo what's going on now? running rich somehow? when I cranked it up today, the polaris fired right up with no choke. it had been sitting for 6 hours in 60degree weather.

5. Feb 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Shit... I thought we would have pegged the problem for sure.

Have you tried checking the fuel tank and fuel shutoff valve filter for gunk/debris? Also, the intake and air filter boots to make sure there's no cracks in them?

When you apply the throttle, the fuel bowl has to fill up at a faster rate and send it to the engine to keep it running. If gunk/debris interrupts the flow of fuel, it will lean the mixture causing the engine to try and shut down. The gunk/debris may or may not affect the engine at idle.

Improper jetting, improper carburetor adjustments, improper ignition timing, improper valve clearance... All of these things could be your problem. We're gonna have to take it one step at a time.

6. Feb 21, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    air filter and intake are GTG I think. i gave them a look over, no cracks. got the air filter cleaned out too. As far as the fuel lines, when I drained the fuel tank to put in fresh gas, I pulled the fuel line off the carburetor and turned the fuel valve on (drained in a couple minutes). So lines and valve should be good?

is there any way to reduce the fuel deliver by adjusting the carb or does that require new jets?

7. Feb 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
To Top