1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Police Academy Application Submitted!!

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by KodiakToyTRD, Mar 31, 2011.

1. May 17, 2011 at 11:03 PM
    kingtaco

kingtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley
    Good luck. Try not to get too jaded and leave the shit in the streets in the street. Don't take it home. Never hesitate to jump in the mix. If you do, the other guys wont want to work with you and you'll be labeled as a....let's just say you'll be labeled. Latch on to the "old timers" they'll teach you more about the job than the academy ever will. I see guys come out of the acadummy all "PC" and shit. Have you ever seen a politicly correct ex con or gang member? I haven't. For the first year keep your eyes open, ears open. Try not to ask dumb questions, don't have diarea of the mouth while driving with your TO. Try not to say " in the academy...blah blah blah " Other than that have fun and NEVER hesitate.

2. May 17, 2011 at 11:10 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Great advice thank you!

I've done a few ride along's with agencies where I wanna work, I enjoy listening and learning! I've been through the federal academy at FLETC in GA and I had to deal with the guys that had prior experience and always spoke up with "Well we did/do it this way" or "I was never taught that that way". Those guys irritate me. I am an FTO here at my unit, and I hate it when I train new people and they are like yea, I was never taught that way before, we did it different at my old unit. That shit gets old. I love the job, getting in the shit, doing the stuff. Military is one way, I can't wait to get out there and do the real work. :cool::cool:

And I'll accept all the advice anyone wants to give!

3. May 17, 2011 at 11:37 PM
    kingtaco

kingtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley
    With your background you shouldn't have any problems then. Damn...the first five years were fun. There weren't any camera phones out there and someone who needed some stick time or boot time got it. Now they want to put mini cams on the patrol guys. I think it's bullshit but what can you do. In my unit we have a video camera but it's operated by one of our guys, sometimes the battery goes out. Wink

Well I'm going to finish this beer and hit the sack. The 'ol lady is asking for some stick time. I mean that in a good way. Ha

4. May 17, 2011 at 11:43 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    :bananadance:

Our patrol car camera's are always breaking... ;) I think the only time an officer should wear a camera is if he's gonna be on a TV show, otherwise, let him work! He doesn't the added equipment to have to deal with. I don't mind camera's in cars, those are fine, as long as they do the job and its not gonna interfere with officer safety to operate it.

5. May 17, 2011 at 11:46 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    haha. yeah i hear you. i'm all ways nice to cops! i respect what they do!! (un like most people and know allot of stuff that goes no that most the public does not) and if i ever get pulled over agin. (been driving on my own for going on 3 years been pulled over once. no ticket:D just a verbal warning. but if i got pulled over agin or confuted and i don't like wear it going. i'm calling a cop i personally know. and or telling the officer i know so and so. but i won't do it to get out of ticket. like some just name drop like it's nothing.

6. May 17, 2011 at 11:48 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Lol name dropping should never get you outta trouble. You'll prolly get the ticket and then get some shit later from the guy you name dropped! I personally would just sit quietly and go with it, usually the best option.

7. May 18, 2011 at 3:36 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup

^^This. Don't go Rodney King on anyone, but never hesitate to mix it up- if you go to a call and one of your coworkers is gettin their ass beat, jump in there without hesitation, even if it means gettin ur ass kicked too. You get beat up as well, you'll gain the respect of your peers for not leaving your buddy to take it alone, and they'll know you're not a punk.

I remember doing a ride-along when I first applied, and call came out for a violent domestic in progress. The primary on the call was a female officer that was about 5' tall and 100lbs. She advised that she was 5 blocks away and enroute. The guy I was riding with hauled ass to the house, lights and sirens, along with 6 or 7 others, ready to back her up. As we got close to the house, we passed her, as she was driving down the street, doing about 10mph. She was last to arrive on scene. She was afraid of getting to the house and being the only there.

Ill never forget the senior officer on scene telling her in front of everyone that they all knew what she had done, and that she had no business being a cop. IIRC she didnt pass probation and is no longer a cop...

One of the biggest things that new guys get negative evaluations for around here is for not responding to combative subjects/aggressive subjects with the appropriate level of assertiveness. You have to be able to handle confrontation appropriately. But youve been on the job, so I'd venture to say this won't be a problem for you...

8. May 18, 2011 at 3:39 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    yeah i know. but the person im related to told me to call him if something is wrong.

9. May 18, 2011 at 5:36 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Good to know, yea I like getting in the shit, and doing my job. Most of the time I know there will be an officer on hand or close by but that doesn't change the fact I need to be prepared to take it on alone. Not talking tombstone courage here either, just if something happens while I'm there I can't stand by and wait for someone else, gotta get in there and do it until someone shows up!

10. May 23, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Well the letter came today.....

I'm accepted! :woot::yay::woot::yay:

11. May 23, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    congrats!!!

are you going to be using your post 9/11???

12. May 23, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    devilstonic

devilstonic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leah
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4 Offroad
    Congrats!

13. May 23, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Congrats!

14. May 24, 2011 at 1:14 AM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup
    Congrats!

You should be able to apply to places that require certified applicants once you start the academy- so as soon as you start, start dropping applications and get the process going, hopefully by the time you finish the academy you'll have a job waiting for you.

15. May 24, 2011 at 1:27 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Yes the post 9/11 will pay for 100% of everything. :cool:

16. May 24, 2011 at 1:35 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    If they will accept that, then hell yea I'll apply! Some require a grad date but, whoever says yes to me actively going to an academy, gets my application!

17. May 24, 2011 at 1:40 AM
    Tarheelz2350

Tarheelz2350 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Dallas, NC
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM 4x4 TRD O/R DC
    Bilstein 5100's F/R, Tin Snip mud flap mod, Partial Debadge, Rear Diff Breather Mod, Rear Spring TSB, 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3's, Devil Horn's courtesy of Andres
    Congrats. Eight years later and I still love it. Though I do have considerably less hair. Don't know if it's stress or genetics. Oh well, get in there have fun and stay safe brother. Welcome to the thin blue line. Civilian version that is.

18. May 24, 2011 at 2:09 AM
    yotamikez

yotamikez Street glide or die

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    04 civic & 08 Street glide
    Congrats!

19. May 24, 2011 at 2:21 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    Good luck.:popcorn:Best job in the world.

To Top