1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Police Question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NumNutz, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Apr 10, 2009 at 9:53 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    If the policeman or woman saw the front of your truck. Someone might get a surprise in the mail. An accurate description is all they need. SWB in color, had projector lights, etc.

2. Apr 10, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz [OP] One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    I hardly ever step on it. I have never gotten a ticket and I usually drive so that I don't. You can't tell me you have never been 30 over the speed limit. I'm not saying that it was right but it was a open, free of traffic stretch of road and I decided to say hey what the hell.

Yup.

3. Apr 10, 2009 at 10:00 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    You are 100% correct, but at 53 I have lost a number of very close friends to this, they, we, all felt we were under control, than somebody changes lanes or the light turns red, it happens so fast and then it's too late. I know you agree, I see it in your post.

4. Apr 10, 2009 at 10:01 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    FWIW, I had a Buddy out here that liked to speed rather excessivley. 2 DPS showed up at his door a few days later and were gonna arrest him. Somehow, he got out of it.

5. Apr 10, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    roughnready62

roughnready62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5
    K&N Intake SoftTopper
    I would tell you this:

-If the officer got your plate, and clocked you doing the speed you said you were; you might have a ticket showing up in the mail.

-If the officer saw your face, and you get a ticket, you are boned.

I would bet that the officer clocked you, turned around to get you, but since you were already out of his/her LOS he/she just continued on.

I wouldn't sweat it, the only way you can truly be guilty is if the officer saw your face, other than that, you can deny driving the truck at that time.

keep me posted man

6. Apr 11, 2009 at 5:12 AM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    I think it would be hard to read a plate and get a good picture when the closing speed is from 75 one way and 55 the other. Something going by at 130 would be hard to see at night.

And I was out of his line of sight for sure.

7. Apr 11, 2009 at 5:36 AM
    Captain

Captain Well-Known Member

Member:
    nys, Hudson Valley Area
    Vehicle:
    2017trd sport pkg d/cab LB
    If I were you I would never speed, spit out the window or even have a guilty look on your face everytime you drive in that area again.. I don't think that Police Officer will forget the fact that you intentionally eluded him or her. Slow down and learn from this. No one got hurt. Good Luck .. I reply with the knowledge gained from thirty two years as a Law Enforcement Officer (retired)..

8. Apr 11, 2009 at 5:41 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    He might try but he would have a VERY hard time making it stick. Any good lawyer would get a print out from the State Police on how many vehicles matching yours are in your state. It would be pretty tough for him to prove it was you. Especially if you have tinted windows to where he could not see your face. Of course, if you live in a small town where everyone knows you.......you are screwed.

9. Apr 11, 2009 at 5:44 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I think someone posted about RO tickets before- and if you get an RO ticket or you get a ticket that you contest by saying "I wasn't driving" you can be compelled to say who was. Something to think about because lying to the court is a really bad idea.

If all you have is halo lights and you are sure he/she didn't get your plates- I wouldn't worry too much. The cop would have to be very specific (like model year or at least Generation, color, body type, and then a feature like the lights) to get you on an RO ticket or to find you later for this violation.

Sounds like you got the point about your speed either way...Just keep it in mind and you'll be fine.

10. Apr 11, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i'd go with this advice personally

PERSONALLY

i wouldve had what info avail to me on the radio immediately...all units BOLO...if you still didnt get caught...id for damn sure have that image of your truck burned into my mind and the next time you so much as weave a little bit in your lane...bam...blue lights

11. Apr 11, 2009 at 8:36 AM
    TicTacOma

TicTacOma UnderWater Monopoly Champion

Member:
    First Name:
    Anastatia Beaverhausen
    Columbia,SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm Thinking...Oh Yeah...An FJ
    It's all in my head at the moment...
    Would a BOLO be followed up with an APB?

Abbreviations are our friends. Keep up the good work (seriously) Be safe.

and....How's the neighborhood behind the V.A. hospital? Looking at a house about 2 blocks behind there. Unsolicited info of course.

12. Apr 11, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    Mobil1

Mobil1 New Member

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 TRD
    K&N cold air intake, Corbeau bucket seats, remote oil filter, relocated battery,TRD trans oil cooler,blue gauge backlighting,installed air/fuel gauge where clock was
    If the cop pulls you over, explain that your best friend had borrowed your truck that day. Anyone willing to take his own life or someone else's with that kind of driving shouldn't have a problem framing a friend.

13. Apr 11, 2009 at 9:31 AM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    chances are they are not even worried about it. So just forget about it. Try not to lose any sleep over am I getting a ticket in the mail. He didnt get you, there are many other tacomas out. You should be good to go.

14. Apr 12, 2009 at 1:23 AM
    Robocop

Robocop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    In my State we have actually 12 months to issue a citation after the offense is observed however we must be certain of the driver as well as the vehicle.

Last summer I was driving to work in my personal vehicle and witnessed an idiot spinning his tires through several red lights. Not really a big deal however it was so blatant and dangerous (causing other cars to swerve into other traffic) I followed him in my personal vehicle.

I watched him park at a local business and made sure I saw his face when he exited his car. A few days later I was on duty in a marked car and drove past the business and there was the idiots car. I noticed the place closed at 5pm so I waited. The idiot worked there and right at closing he came to his car. Of course he saw the police car in the lot so he was on his best behavior.....needless to say when he hit the street I stopped him.

I had his tag number from days earlier, the date and time, and location so I wrote him for reckless driving.....he was suprised and very pissed however the charge stuck as he did later try to protest it. It seems this was his 3rd offense and his license was due to be revoked if convicted so he fought it.

His lawyer tried to say at first it was not him however I had seen him and had no reason to single him out anyway. The next line of defense was if I saw him do something why did I not stop him when it happened....my reply was simply that I was not in a marked car and without lights and sirens in would have been dangerous to stop a car.

Long story short yes many states can and will write a citation long after the offense date. The good part is that they are easier to beat if all the officer has is a tag number. The bad part is that even if you run and elude the police that day you will still have a very pissed off police in your area and they rarely forget....:D

15. Apr 12, 2009 at 1:27 AM
    Robocop

Robocop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Access Cab Gray Manual
    Almost forgot to add that I would not worry so much about knowing if they got your tag or not. Most likely reckless driving and eluding are an arrestable charge ,rather than a citation, so if they would have copied your tag they probably would have showed up at your home.

Slow down a little and relax.....you would probably know by now if you were wanted and I am glad you did not wreck your truck.

16. Jan 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    dog tired

dog tired Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    With dash camera's it is hard not to get plates today

17. Jan 27, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    madisonsfinest

madisonsfinest Addicted to my DSLR

Member:
    Madison, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC OffRoad 4x4 Debaged
    Factory Roof Rack Avid Offroad Light Bar 16" XD Hoss Truxedo LoPro QT Window Tint Autobot Emblem w/Autobot Shifter Color Matched Grille
    If they didn't see you driving then they cant ticket you for the operation. Depending on the laws in your state, you will have to check to see if they can hold the registered owner accountable. If your going 50 in the opposite direction at night I highly doubt that your plate was captured. I know that video on our cameras are not the best, and unless he had the camera zoomed in enough to pick up your plate, I highly doubt that it would be captured. I know I wouldn't spend any more time on it if you were already gone without a plate. I can't take the video from my squad and try to enhance it on my own, and we have plenty of other problems to deal with.

18. Jan 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    NumNutz

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    Lots.
    Damn this is an old thread lol.

Well nothing ever happened if anyone cares.

19. Jan 27, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Sorry if someone asked this already (don't have time to read everything), but did he put his lights on? If he didn't turn his lights on than you have nothing to worry about, and how would you know he was turning around to stop you? Maybe he was doing something else.

But if he did have his lights on, and you tried to hide from him. Than that is not a good thing to do, or even if his lights are off. But don't worry about it, I think you will be fine.

20. Jan 27, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    I have to agree with the CAPTAIN's response. Wear your seatbelt and stop driving like a dumbass before you kill someone and regret it for the rest of your life. We all did stupid things as kids, but the difference is that some learn from the their mistakes, and some don't. I assume you learned something from this experience.

Products Discussed in

To Top