1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Polish Devil Horns

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ecrepeau, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:09 AM
    ecrepeau

ecrepeau [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Can anyone break down the process for me on how to get the natural raw aluminum horns to have the chrome like finish. I know it needs to be polished, but what steps are involved to accomplish this?

2. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:24 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Errrmmm...You need a polishing wheel and the right compounds and then it just takes time.

Unless you plan on learning to polish to go into business or whatever...I would take it some where to get it done or get some paint to do it.

3. Jul 25, 2010 at 5:02 AM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    gray, shiny, dependable
    Glock 36, spare mag
    I finished my yesterday. I put the emblem in the bench vise, held by the bolt heads on the back. That was key in keeping the thing steady while I did the rest. I bought some sandpaper at the local auto supply store. Not just regular sandpaper. I bought sandpaper that is meant to be used wet. It took 4 grades of paper to get the emblem really smooth. I bought 600 grit, 1000g, 1500g and 2000g, the price for all was $7. The hardest part was the initial 600g sanding to get out the machine marks. The follow up grit papers got out the marks from the preceding paper. It took a couple hours. After the final 2000g paper I used my dremel tool with a felt polishing wheel and some polishing compound. Finally I used a couple coats of paste wax to help protect it. To keep the emblem in place I used a drop of blue locktite on the threads. Hope that helps.

4. Jul 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    I was disappointed when I opened this thread. I though it was gonna be a polock joke. Like, did you hear about the polish guy who swam halfway across a lake got tired and swam back?

5. Jul 25, 2010 at 10:59 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
    nope what the joke

To Top