1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Polished my P238's barrel today...

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 0uTkAsT, Jun 25, 2012.

1. 0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT [OP] Gun Toting Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    So I got tired of looking at the beat-up finish on my EDC's barrel today so I decided to do a DIY polishing job on it. I know there's already a thread on this somewhere but I didn't feel like hunting for it. This job took less than 1 hour. Ideally, you're supposed to use ScotchBrite pads, Flitz metal polish, and white vinegar to do this. All I had around the apartment was vinegar and steel wool, I didn't have any of the synthetic scrubbing pads, nor did I have metal polish of any kind. Therefore, the "polishing" itself was done with Brownell's J-B Non-Embedding Bore Compound that I use to scrub out my precision rifles with. The results are pretty satisfying.

What I started with (there are only about 650 rounds through this pistol and this is how bad the finish wear was):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After degreasing it, in the vinegar it goes:

[​IMG]

After just 5 minutes you can see how thin and dulled the bluing has become:

[​IMG]

After 10 minutes, I removed it from the vinegar and scrubbed it some with the steel wool:

[​IMG]

At 20 minutes, you can hardly tell it was ever blued at all. I removed it again and scrubbed some more:

[​IMG]

I left it in for another 20 minutes while I ran an errand, however I didn't notice any difference between the 20 minute mark and the 40 minute mark. At that point I attacked it with the steel wool and J-B bore compound.

Like an idiot, I forgot to take pictures before putting it back together, but here's the final product (if you right click on the picture and click View Image you can see the larger version):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm extremely happy with the appearance now. It looks like it should've come like this from the factory, especially from the front, since the barrel now matches the end of the guide rod that sticks out.

Total cost: $0.99

2. Rnuovrcj5

Rnuovrcj5 Appalachian American

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    99 Dodge 2500
    Very nice. That was one of the first things I did to mine when I got it.

3. 0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT [OP] Gun Toting Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    Thanks, I'm so much happier with it now. I have guns that are beat to hell and look better with all the dings, scratches, holster wear, etc. but this wasn't one of them. I wanted to keep this one pristine which wasn't possible with that factory barrel finish. This did the trick wonderfully.

4. Xshark

Xshark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rogers, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco
    Icon progressive leaf, 3-leaf pack. Bilstein 5100's on all corners, front set at 2.5" Spidertrax wheel spacers Satoshi Grille Mod
    Nice.

5. Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen
    Looks good!

To Top