1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poll: Diesel like noise clutch determinative?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Terrier, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Sep 5, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    Fast1

Fast1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road Access Cab
    it is the clutch throw-out bearing and it is not uncommon for other manual transmission vehicles to do the same thing.

My car with a 5 speed and does it. Both my motorcycles do the exact same thing.. neutral at idle will produce a slight rattle unless you push/pull the clutch in.

2. Sep 5, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    CometKat

CometKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4 Regular Cab SR5
    I think the I4 five speed was primarily designed as a workhorse. So it’s not graceful but has proven durability. I’ve heard this noise and the a/c screech noise and the rear end leaf spring clunk. I don’t think any of this is a concern. It’s a truck not a Cadillac.

3. Sep 5, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    Terrier

Terrier [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 2.7
    Does your Tacoma do it? Also, are you saying it is just a sound and not a problem?

4. Sep 5, 2009 at 9:55 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    i took in in today when i asked them to add a few more bolts that were missing in my tranny mount, and told them about this. the service writer and tech looked and heard it and said ya umm. i was like people say a new throw out might help, they said ya but then it comes back after a few thousand miles most of the time and ya. i was like so ya fix it then ill come back then and get it done again...all im gonna say is when i left the dealership i still had the sound

5. Sep 5, 2009 at 9:56 PM
    Fast1

Fast1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:

yes my tacoma does it and yes it is NOT a problem.

Yes both my motorcycles do it and yes my 99 sport Miata with a 5 speed does it.

6. Sep 5, 2009 at 10:18 PM
    Terrier

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Fast1.

7. Sep 6, 2009 at 2:41 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    are all the 4cyl, 5 spd drivetrains built in Japan, (motor and tranny)?

8. Sep 6, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    Is anyone thinking loose or imbalanced flywheel here? My older motorcycle with a DRY clutch(like a car or truck) will rattle when in neutral with the clutch unengaged. When I squeeze the lever the noise goes away. My BMW cycle dealer say it is the flywheel rattling. Been doing it for 50K miles and 18 years that I have had it.

9. Sep 6, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    Fast1

Fast1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minneapolis, MN
    Vehicle:
    now that is downright funny!

10. Sep 6, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    Terrier

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Just looked at my window sticker that I saved and there is no mention as far as what parts are made in US vs. Japan. I know mine truck was built in US (Nummi) but that doesn't mean that they didn't use a Japan made engine and/or tranny.

11. Sep 6, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    Knot Guilty

Knot Guilty Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Access cab 4x4 4cyl Barcelona Red
    Black UWS tool box, Bed mat, Tinted all the way around, AFE Air Filter, Secondary air filter removed, Debadged, Seat belt mod, Cobra 29 w/lil wil antenna, EGR Rain Guards, Black Husky liners, Grey and Black factory Tacoma seat covers, AR Mojave Wheels, Flowmaster 40, Nitto Terra Grapplers
    I bought my 4th Toyota about 3 months ago. Its a brand new 2009 Tacoma 4x4 access cab with a 4cyl manual trans. I noticed the same noise the day I drove it off the lot and it progressively got louder the more miles I put on it. Also my radio started doing all kinds of crazy stuff. So I called about the radio and the dealership ordered me a new one. When I took the truck in to get the radio replaced I mentioned to them about the noise coming from the transmission. It is the same noise all of us are hearing and goes away if you push in the clutch and get louder if you turn on the a/c.

Well it only took like 30 minutes for the technician to replace the radio but he came out and told me that he put the stethescope on the trans and could definitely tell that it was coming from the front half of the transmission. He also said that it had a slight oil leak coming from the front seal of the trans. He called Toyota and they told him to go ahead and put in a new transmission. It took about a week for the trans to get to SC from California. After removing the transmission the final diagnosis was that the input shaft was bad and had alot of play. This caused the shaft to rattel around in the seal causing the seal to go bad which caused the oil leak.

They also put in a brand new clutch and flywheel with the transmission install because some oil had gotten on the clutch and flywheel from the oil leak causing hot spots on the flywheel. All of this was done at 5,000 miles and haven't had any trouble (or heard any noise from the transmission) since it was replaced. I now have around 10,000 on her. Only problem is the radio is going bad again but they already have me a new one on order.

My suggestion is that you take your truck to the dealer and get the trans replaced. They said that Toyota had heard of the noise but mine was the first to get replaced because of the oil leak and because my technician would not let my truck leave the shop without a new transmission. They sent the trans back to Toyota for them to look at the transmission. Hopefully you get a technician that knows what he is talking about and cares about his customers as much as mine did!

12. Sep 6, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    Terrier

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Knot Guilty, looks like your first post. Welcome to TW. Thanks. I wonder if yours is a little different than the rest of those that have posted here and on my other Thread (RattlingType Noise (diesel sound)) because of the leaky transmssion seal. In other words, since your input shaft was out of whack, it may have caused the seal to leak and if others were out of whack, there would be leaks. I just don't know and I wish Toyota would let us know what is going on.

13. Sep 6, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    Knot Guilty

Knot Guilty Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Black UWS tool box, Bed mat, Tinted all the way around, AFE Air Filter, Secondary air filter removed, Debadged, Seat belt mod, Cobra 29 w/lil wil antenna, EGR Rain Guards, Black Husky liners, Grey and Black factory Tacoma seat covers, AR Mojave Wheels, Flowmaster 40, Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Thanks for the welcome, I think it is the same thing as all the rest of them. Like I said this is my 4th toyota truck and all have been manuals. All have been manuals and I have had one from every body style. Yes it is normal to hear a little bit of rattleing from a manual transmission but if all the others are as loud as mine then I would get it looked at. Especially if it goes away when you push in the clutch and get worse when you turn on the a/c. I didn't notice my oil leak either and I am very meticulous about my truck. I park it on a patio and never noticed any oil on it. It was a very slight leak and you had to get under the truck and right up to the inspection hole to notice it. All I am saying is that I don't think it is normal and would get it taken care of before the warranty is up.

14. Sep 6, 2009 at 9:14 AM
    Knot Guilty

Knot Guilty Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Also the reason it doesn't do it when you push in the clutch is because when you push it in the transmission is no longer turning thus is not under a load. And it is not the throw-out bearing because it is only engaged when the clutch is pushed it. Thus the noise is coming from the transmission and it gets louder when you turn the a/c on because the motor is under slightly more of a load which in turn puts the trans under more load because the clutch is directly driven by the flywheel when not engaged (pushed in)

15. Sep 6, 2009 at 12:42 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    Thanks for posting up Daniel. Sounds like my guess was correct then. I see that you're in SC... what part? I'm in the Camden/Columbia area and I'd love to take mine to the same dealership that you did if it's reasonably close.

16. Sep 6, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    Knot Guilty

Knot Guilty Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    I live in the Charleston area but I work in Beaufort. I bought my truck at the Stokes Brown Toyota dealership on highway 21 in Beaufort. Hands down the best service department I have ever dealt with and would recommend them to anyone. If you want you can call down there the number is 843-522-3232 just ask them to transfer you to service and then ask for Brett he is the service manager. If you do decide to get it done down here tell Brett that you want Steve to do the swap. He is a stand up technician and an all around good guy and will treat you right.

The reason I recomend you at least call them is because they are familiar with the issue (because they just did my truck a few weeks ago) and have already fought it out with Toyota to get them to agree to replace the transmission with a new one.

17. Sep 6, 2009 at 2:03 PM
    CometKat

CometKat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City NV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4X4 Regular Cab SR5
    I read through this thread again and then went out to the garage to check out the noise. There is no noise on my truck. However, I have a particular situation where I’m in first gear with the clutch in and coasting a bit on a very rough parking lot where I hear a definite noise coming from the transmission. But this is different than what is being described in this thread (the first post on this thread that is)

18. Sep 6, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    Terrier

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    I'll see if I can get my service guy to call over there too for further information. Thanks again, Knot Guilty.

19. Sep 7, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    UA34

UA34 Texican

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Pre Runner
    Stock everything
    mine does that.... idk wtf that is...

20. Sep 7, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    Terrier

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    You are the first and only one so far to reply that they do not have the noise. Thanks for participating in this poll. Have you read my other related thread?

Products Discussed in

To Top