1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

POLL: OVTune Reviews (3rd gen)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by bshammer0, Feb 25, 2018.

?

How would you rate OVTune? (1 lowest, 5 highest)

1. 1 (MT) - meh

9 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. 2 (MT)

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  3. 3 (MT)

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. 4 (MT)

13 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. 5 (MT) - best mod, hands down

35 vote(s)
    10.6%
  6. 1 (AT) - meh

15 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. 2 (AT)

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. 3 (AT)

18 vote(s)
    5.4%
  9. 4 (AT)

53 vote(s)
    16.0%
  10. 5 (AT) - best mod, hands down

177 vote(s)
    53.5%
  1. Feb 20, 2019 at 3:35 PM
    Crimson Flam3s

Crimson Flam3s Well-Known Member

Member:
    Is this performance increase going to be limited to 93/91 only?

My truck shifts fine with the TSB so my interest in the tune has always been regardings the acceleration improvements but so far all the vids I have seen posted don't show any.

2. Feb 20, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    Cptcloud

Cptcloud New Member

Member:
    Bedford TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    I don’t understand stand what you are talking about. I received files for 87,91,and 93 octane.

3. Feb 20, 2019 at 5:49 PM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2018 LC500
    OVTune
    The base version of the tune is setup for best MPG and highway, not for power. The performance version (soon to be released for that ECU version) is.

4. Feb 24, 2019 at 3:24 PM
    Taco16LB

Taco16LB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Update on newest tunes . Warning ! May be too long and boring !!!
    If so just buy it !! and skip !!!
    First off for the manual gear rowing bunch ,from what I have seen have gained the most from OVTune because they do not need to deal with this auto transmission . Some of the following may or may not apply .
    Observations since the Purple dongle era (first dongle). Mat has done incredible things with the Tacoma tunes for choices of mpg's, and or performance and then gearlock and full Otto for the Manuals etc. Some of these trucks are different in themselves alone and respond differently to each tune . Then with different degrees of gears /weight /tire size etc. it compounds .
    On top of that each truck varies in it's usage such as empty around town, highway , off road , and then again all of those while towing . Even with custom tunes , which Mat (OVTune)is offering via logging in the future, I do not see how anyone will be completely satisfied with 1 tune unless they use the truck for just one purpose such as highway driving with big tires and extra weight , or stock truck etc.. Check out the big three and see how many options they offer (tow,sport,eco whatnot modes )
    The stock truck has gotten much better with the latest TSB's but OVTune IMO has done better ! There never seems to be a lack of I want something more posts.
    Maybe to solve the "it's not perfect for me " options are to -
    1. Choose the best tune for the way "your specific truck" is most used for . and change OVTune tunes as you change uses .
    2 . …..………………………………………………………………………………………. and add the SSP for different shift patterns with the tune depending on what you are using the truck for on that day or time .
    The SSP 3 different shift patterns can be done before starting the truck in about 1 min. with no ECU flashing .
    3. ………………………………………………………………………………………………..and add the pedal commander to change tip in with the tune .
    I do not know how long it takes but there is no ecu flashing .
    4. ………………………………………………………………………………………….and add both the SSP and Pedal commander ? I do not know if this will even work but would seem to solve it all without having to flash tunes and avoid having to wait for the tunes to settle in or set all idle learning and such when changing tunes/usages . (Anyone try both ? )
    I do know the SSP works with all tunes except maybe what will happen with the new gearlocking feature if flashed .
    It seems the pedal commander changes the tip in , as some people seem to like or dislike the OVTune performance tunes for the tip in for the use of the day .(I have never tried the pedal commander )I have tried the Performance OVTunes and it seems the pedal commander does the same things from what I have read about it for changing tip in . We feel the tip in for both the 91 and the 87 OVTune performance tunes is to harsh on a stock empty nontowing truck , but the extra power is there going up hills with the OVTune 91 performance tune , no doubt about it , way better than the OVTune 87 base ! We have not tried the new 91 base tune and would love it if it had the power of the 91 performance tune , and the tip in of the base tune. Maybe it does and if so ? ANYONE comfirm ? @OVTune ?
    The following is pre new release 1.05 tunes called base tunes .
    What I do know is for us ,a stock truck , wanting the best mpg's and non feeling of lugging while everyday driving , the OVTune 87 tune is the best for mpg's . Not wanting to reflash , using the Smode SSP mode 2 ,with the OVTune 87 tune while towing 2000 lbs with on hilly roads and doing nothing seems to be the good for us. The BEST method for towing is Smode by shifting ourselves on hilly roads . We can gain speed on the way down and down shift as we see fit on the way up . IE- we can see what is happening before the transmission can and downshift earlier at the and up shift later at the hill crests and troughs .
    The OVTune is well worth it in my opinion , but it is not a do it all by itself . By itself , the stock Tacoma tune is lacking !
    Sorry for the long story but hope this may help Someone on the edge one way or the other .

dwillhere1 likes this.
  5. Feb 26, 2019 at 5:48 PM
    dwillhere1

dwillhere1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Surprise, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFFROAD
    I don’t know how old this post is? Looks like yesterday. I am new to this forum and coming from a 2011 F150 5.0 with the OZ tune and prior to that, the 5star tunes. I bought my 17 TRD off-road without even knowing what I was buying. Barely even test drove it. Needed to consolidate my car and truck for 1 vehicle, I knew I wanted a Tacoma with 4x4. Long story short, here I am. Ok. After having the OZ tune on my F150, going to this Tacoma was very difficult. I immediately started researching tunes. I see that really the only tune available is the OV tune. However it is Very expensive and a bit more complicated to install. Not extremely but not having it on a (handheld) tuner a bit disappointing. I can’t speak for how great or not the OV tune is because I don’t have it. However I know after having a tuned vehicle, the electronic approach is MUCH better than spending a ton of money on exhaust, intake etc.. Best bang for buck! What I can testify to for people that want to get rid of the sluggish pedal and some of the shifting especially with oversized tires is the Pedal Commander and Hypertech Speedo calibrator. With an all in price of $460 through Amazon, I am VERY Pleased! I see a ton of people talk about the pedal Commander being a joke or, same as pushing harder, I disagree. These 2 items fulfill about 90% of what I would expect out of a (tune) spending $300 less. I’m running 295/70-17’s averaging 18 mpgs on the highway with stock gears and very happy with the feeling of the pedal commander. You can’t drive the vehicle as smoothly and quickly without mashing the pedal without the pedal commander. I could ramble for hours. Lol but just wanted to let everyone know that yes I’m sure the OV tune is (awesome!), but if it’s just not in your budget or tech ability, the pedal commander by itself or paired with the Hypertech Speedo calibrator is another very good option. Don’t let some of these guys talk u out of it. Just some options that I have tried and experienced first hand. Maybe should of started my own topic, sorry if I’m out of line but wanted to put this somewhere. Take care everybody and Happy to be a new member of this group!!

Tig3r_Bit and Razor24 like this.
  6. Feb 28, 2019 at 7:48 AM
    hossler1788

hossler1788 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    jonestown pa
    Vehicle:
    2016 taco trd
    Waiting till the performance tune comes out then ill jump on this wagon. hurry!

7. Feb 28, 2019 at 9:43 AM
    Melmantaco

Melmantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma trd offroad m/t
    Is there going to be a tow mode? Or is it expected we use performance tune for towing (im ok with this)

8. Feb 28, 2019 at 9:50 AM
    St.Germain

St.Germain Sport truck!

Member:
    NTX
    there is indeed a heavy truck file coming soon for 04B13 MT trucks. Mat said this week. so, soon. DL via FM upon release if you have that ECU base.

9. Feb 28, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    Melmantaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sweet! Thats the ecu i have!

St.Germain likes this.
  10. Mar 16, 2019 at 4:09 PM
    navin r

navin r Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 double cab short bed trd off road 4wd w/ premium pkg.
    So far I'd say the tune is a waste of time and money. 17', I've always driven with ect on, 91 octane.
    Finally loaded 91 base tune; went for a 30 min drive; what a waste.
    I reset one of the trip meters, I'll drive for a couple days and report back if it gets any better, so far it only maybe has any affect at high rpms, which our trucks are rarely at anyway.
    Anyone thinking about it I'd save your money. Just leaving your ect button on has much more of an effect and doesn't cost anything.

11. Mar 16, 2019 at 4:20 PM
    Melmantaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You sir are exactly whats wrong with the world. Sounds like another spoilt 20y/o thats never had to work for anything.

TacoLoco17 and Shellshock like this.
  12. Mar 16, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2018 LC500
    OVTune
    Did you try performance or GearLock? FOB if manual? The base tune is for mpg not response or power..

Inferno__Taco likes this.
  13. Mar 16, 2019 at 4:31 PM
    navin r

navin r Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 double cab short bed trd off road 4wd w/ premium pkg.
    Shell, whatever my friend, you don't know me at all.
    Mat, no, I didn't try 91 performance because theres already too many bad reviews of 91 performance on the main thread.
    I'd like to see an independent agency test a 3rd gen 0-60 and 1/4 mile stock and tuned.
    If I see that I'll believe it worked on that truck, until then it's a waste of time and money.

14. Mar 16, 2019 at 4:34 PM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2018 LC500
    OVTune
    Ok.. You know that the people who post actively is less than 1 percent of the people who have the tune?

The only negative thing some people say is its too touchy, but many others say they like the tip in. But you didn't even try it.. Clearly if you drive in ECT mode all day you're looking for more performance and the base tune is not that.

We already had 2 different 3rd party companies review our dyno results, independently.

Inferno__Taco and Melmantaco like this.
  15. Mar 16, 2019 at 4:43 PM
    TRDOBSESSED

TRDOBSESSED Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Puyallup, Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD ORAC
    OvTuned
    some ones in a bad mood today ...the base tune is exactly that ...it's all about a mellow ride and mpg's. I'm on 91 performance and very happy .If you haven't tried it you really can't say much and are really missing out .

Melmantaco likes this.
  16. Mar 16, 2019 at 5:01 PM
    Melmantaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    What ever happened to this heavy truck tune?

17. Mar 16, 2019 at 5:04 PM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2018 LC500
    OVTune
    The code for the patch is still being worked on.

Melmantaco likes this.
  18. Mar 16, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    Melmantaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ok thanks @OVTune Btw, after a month of 87 fob on my m/t its settled very nicely. Good low end torque and mpg is pretty good! I can't go on about mpg as the temps here are all over the place but ive seen trip mpgs that are better than ive experienced in the past.

19. Mar 16, 2019 at 5:22 PM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mat
    Vehicle:
    2018 LC500
    OVTune
    Glad to hear it :). I hope to have the MT patch done soon, but when it comes to throttle control I try to be very delicate and do many bug tests before even testing. Has to be right the very first time.

Melmantaco likes this.
  20. Mar 16, 2019 at 5:24 PM
    Melmantaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I completely understand that. Give someone too much and they forget how yo drive.

Products Discussed in

To Top