1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pongo, my 2016 TRDOR, it's life stages, and travels

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by dorton, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Aug 5, 2017 at 8:16 PM
    Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    285/75/17 on SCS 6's. ADS front & rear w/ adjusters. Relentless front bumper & roof rack. BAMF sliders
    Because while OME is an upgraded shock, it's looked at as simply that. It doesn't tend to have as much travel as King, fox, etc so you don't need to replace the UCA. It keeps the specs closer to factory than other setups so no trimming is needed. OP tell me if I'm wrong but I think most of that is correct.

opentang and jcott329 like this.
  2. Aug 6, 2017 at 7:23 AM
    dorton

dorton [OP] rockcreekoverland

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Old Man Emu Nitro Chargers, CS047R leafs w/ D29XL extra leaf, CBI front and rear bumpers, CBI armor, rock sliders,ditch light brackets, and bed rack, Free Spirit Recreation Extreme Series roof top tent, VTX Viper wheels, General X3 Grabber tires, 4.88 gears front and rear, Kenwood TM-710G UHF/VHF radio. Icom IC-706MKIIG UHF/VHF/HF radio,KC Hilites 20" Flex Bar and ditch lights, Safari snorkel, BedSlide Classic, SnoMaster USA expedition series fridge.
    Cool. Glad to help.

We just did another one for a customer using toytec spacer front with 285/70r17s STT PROs and no rub. YMMV.

3. Aug 7, 2017 at 2:35 AM
    The sharpie

The sharpie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    Whidbey island
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma dcsb.
    None as of yet.
    Was that also with the ome nitrocharger set up?

4. Aug 7, 2017 at 6:03 AM
    dorton

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Old Man Emu Nitro Chargers, CS047R leafs w/ D29XL extra leaf, CBI front and rear bumpers, CBI armor, rock sliders,ditch light brackets, and bed rack, Free Spirit Recreation Extreme Series roof top tent, VTX Viper wheels, General X3 Grabber tires, 4.88 gears front and rear, Kenwood TM-710G UHF/VHF radio. Icom IC-706MKIIG UHF/VHF/HF radio,KC Hilites 20" Flex Bar and ditch lights, Safari snorkel, BedSlide Classic, SnoMaster USA expedition series fridge.
  5. Aug 25, 2017 at 4:19 PM
    dorton

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Some pics from our trip SW Colorado. We were there for a little over a week, and I still don't think I could ever get my
    fill of the scenery. I absolutely love that I can leave the humid summers of the southeast, and there I can enjoy evening and night
    temps of 30-40 Deg when camping at 12k ft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Sep 7, 2017 at 1:18 PM
    Matty0317

Matty0317 @taco.hog

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD O/R DCSB 4x4
    Dirt King +3.5 LT, RCV Axles, Mobtown Sliders, BAMF skids, 4.88's, Relentless Fabrication Front/Rear, Archive Garage Rear, Baja Designs
    Awesome build. Had the pleasure of meeting James recently and we talked about your adventures out west. He has an awesome 4runner as well. He mentioned you guys are gonna be at overland expo east, hope to see you guys there.

If you guys ever do any trips in NC I'm down

7. Sep 18, 2017 at 10:00 AM
    The sharpie

The sharpie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendon
    Whidbey island
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma dcsb.
    None as of yet.

I plan on doing stt pros on my 17 offroad. Did you have to do any chopping to make 285s fit? Have you taken them in snow or ice it all. We do a lot of snowboarding and mtn trekking in the winter and want something pretty aggressive and grippy.

8. Sep 20, 2017 at 6:23 AM
    dorton

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Very cool. James is a good dude, and I agree on his 4runner, he's got a very nice ride. We're really looking forward to Expo, should be a great time! Defiantly come stop by if you're going to be there.

Throwback pic to Expo East 16'

[​IMG]

The 285/70r17s fit with no chopping. They only rubbed a few time at basically steering lock, and compressed suspension. The STT PROs did really well in the snow that I've had the
    chance to play in. Central NC doesn't get the kind of snow fall that other places do, but in 8-10" that I've had it in, it did great.

Throwback pic to STT PROs, ARB and a few inches of snow:

[​IMG]

I recently added a bike mount to mu Prinsu rack:

[​IMG]

markelhof and pixelsailor like this.
  9. Sep 22, 2017 at 6:19 AM
    dorton

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    More pics from our trip west:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prior to our trip, we built a cargo slide using heavy duty drawer slides rated at 500lbs.

[​IMG]

The slide was nice, and worked awesome, right up until one slide spit its bearings out while we were
    still on our way west.

I had been dealing with it, and getting by until I decided what route I wanted to go. I finally decided on
    the BedSlide brand, and recently ordered one of their Classic versions. It arrived, and I installed it after work
    on Tuesday night. Install was super easy. No pics yet, they're coming. I am impressed to say the least.
    I can't fathom the BedSlide suffering the same fate the "heavy duty 500lb rated" slide setup we built, ever
    happening to this stout piece.

arnette64, pixelsailor and ROCdermody like this.
  10. Oct 23, 2017 at 5:47 PM
    baileybrandon

baileybrandon 2016 DCSB OR - MGM -

Member:
    First Name:
    Bailey
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    @dorton - Comparisons between the CBI T3 and ARB Summit Bumpers? weight? pros? cons? materials? any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Greco and Justin like this.
  11. Oct 26, 2017 at 6:04 AM
    BillBraski

BillBraski Potato

Member:
    VA Tidewater Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD Off Road
    Tacoma Tailgate Lettering LED interior lights
    Were you at Uwharrie last weekend at some offroad shenanigans?

12. Oct 26, 2017 at 6:26 AM
    Justin

Justin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    285/75/17 on SCS 6's. ADS front & rear w/ adjusters. Relentless front bumper & roof rack. BAMF sliders
    Do you notice a difference in approach angles at all with the ARB vs. CBI bumpers up front? I know by the numbers CBI has a better angle, but I wonder if the type of overloading you guys do if you notice it really, or the weight for that matter.

13. Oct 26, 2017 at 8:50 AM
    dorton

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Install the CBI is the big winner hands down. Much easier install. The CBI is lighter, and has the option of aluminum. There are two completely different looks between the CBI and ARB, and that's not a bad thing, I like them both. The CBI does have a much improved approach angle, and they can cater to the purchaser
    whereas the ARB only comes in one configuration.

I was there with the truck on display during the day, and then went out on the trails for an evening/night run.

There is a difference. For most "overlanding" you're not going to experience any issues, as the ARB is an improvement over stock.
    The CBI is an improvement in approach angle over the ARB. Only places I ran into an issue, would have been more along the lines of
    "lets see if it can do this", rather than "that happens to be in the way of where I'm going". I think that is one of the differences between
    the "off roading/wheeling" and "overlanding" mindsets.

I'm kinda in both camps, sometimes at the same times, sometimes one specifically and not the other.

The CBI allows you to do both, the ARB is more biased towards the overland side.

14. Oct 26, 2017 at 10:04 AM
    BillBraski

BillBraski Potato

Member:
    VA Tidewater Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD Off Road
    Tacoma Tailgate Lettering LED interior lights
    I thought i saw your sexy rig pulling out when i was at the outpost. Pictures dont do it justice. :cheers:

15. Dec 21, 2017 at 6:21 AM
    arnette64

arnette64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amos, QC (Canada)
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno TRD Sport Double Cab 4X4
    '16 Inferno TRD sport DC
    Those pictures are just amazing!! Awesome details quality, awesome trucks!!

16. Jan 10, 2018 at 7:41 AM
    Usmcmp

Usmcmp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB
    Beautiful rig. My Tacoma is stock but looking for a bed rack I immediately fell in love with CBI and like you I will remain brand loyal for sliders. So I have two or 3 questions.

Looking at OME HD lift and 285/75-16s but what offset are your wheels knowing you rarely rub. I too don’t want to CMC or do UCA right away or ever. I’ve heard anywhere from 0 to -12

How is CBI finish holding up on all pieces? As powder coat gets dinged up I think aluminum is another benefit, not just the advantage of less weight.

Sliders been used and abused at all? I assume make a pretty good step to access stuff on rack and can take a beating from the bottom. How was install? Some I’ve seen say bolt on but for optimum strength drilling additional holes may be necessary.

17. Jan 10, 2018 at 10:48 AM
    dorton

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Both the VTX Vipers, and Terras I was running were -10. I actually have swapped wheels again.
    I had a set of 305/70r16 Cooper STT PROs that had probably 500 miles on them before I took my 1st gen 4runner apart just collecting dust, so I decided to
    put them to use. I am now running VTX Rogues in 16x8, and haven't rubbed yet with the 305s. I haven't been able to try them on anything really technical,
    but they haven't scrubbed YET.

[​IMG]

The powder coating from CBI is holding up great. Everything on mine is steel(heavy), but, I would consider aluminum if I were to start back from
    scratch.

The sliders have been beat up, and touched up a few times. They have supported the full weight of the loaded rig on multiple occasions(happens when you
    wheel with friends on 37s and try what they can do). The install was very simple, and they just bolt into place. I haven't drilled any
    additional mounting holes at this point.

[​IMG]

Some exploring, checking out the fall colors
    [​IMG]

Playing in the fresh snow a couple weeks back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rlx02, ARCOVT16, dskakie and 3 others like this.
  18. Jan 30, 2018 at 6:16 AM
    Taco Luvr

Taco Luvr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD 4X4 OR
    King Ext, TC UCA, 1.5 AAL, VTX Rogue SL, BFG KO2 285/75R16

How much weight do you estimate you are carrying when fully loaded? RTT, bumper and spare, load in the bed (Do I see a refrigerator?), full Rotopax, etc.

19. Jan 30, 2018 at 10:47 AM
    dorton

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    A lot! I need to run it through a truck scale, but I've only guessingly added it up previously.
    It does have a fridge, it's a Snomaster Expedition Series 75 liter.

20. Jan 30, 2018 at 11:31 AM
    Taco Luvr

Taco Luvr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD 4X4 OR
    King Ext, TC UCA, 1.5 AAL, VTX Rogue SL, BFG KO2 285/75R16
    And you are running the HD Dakars with an added leaf?

Products Discussed in

To Top