1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poor radio reception fix

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kiteman78, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Apr 26, 2016 at 7:28 AM
    cmghoughton

cmghoughton Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    BenWa power rear slider RollBak G2 Retractable Tonneau Bed Cover
    Has anyone tried removing the original antenna and using a windshield antenna instead. The only thing I like the antenna for is when I am in a parking garage and it will hit the ceiling before I do so I know to stop. Regardless of this I would rather have a decorative cap covering the antenna mast hole and just have the antenna attached to the windshield by the passenger seat or up by the mirror. I found something like this on crutchfield but what are your guys thoughts? I'm thinking just cheaper and easier than replacing the whole mast, just need to find a filler for the original hole.

2. Aug 12, 2016 at 12:50 PM
    Yotabooner88

Yotabooner88 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marvin
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma
    I've never contributed to a forum before, but I had to chime in because this was so helpful! Thank you kiteman. I did the troubleshoot, and the wire worked so well that I taped it together and put the trim back on. Just think of all the fuel I'll save without an antenna sticking out of the truck! Also, I didn't have to buy 75 dollars of parts and spend the day grinding on my truck.

mcl77, DJ IslandBoy and Coolerman like this.
  3. Mar 7, 2021 at 3:37 PM
    wickedmainer

wickedmainer Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma
    aftermarket back up cam ,led light bar , upgrade wheels
    I’ve had poor reception on my 2013 Tacoma for six months now I would try the temporary test wire as shown above in the next few days thanks for the idea

4. Mar 9, 2021 at 4:31 PM
    wickedmainer

wickedmainer Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma
    aftermarket back up cam ,led light bar , upgrade wheels
    Tried the test wire today . Got good reception I guess I’ll be ordering some parts thanks

5. Oct 5, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    pfeels

pfeels New Member

Member:
    I've had this issue for years and thought about replacing that antenna but when i looked at it I didn't see any corrosion. Who knew it was hidden inside the mount.

6. Jun 12, 2022 at 5:47 AM
    mcl77

mcl77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i was wondering if this woukd work. its what i will be doing if it does. What size wire do you need? assuming something to fit snuggly inside the other connection??
    yeah this didnt work.
    looksike at some point ill be replacing mine. my daughter limes the radio. ive just been using bluetooth. hopefully i wont have to drill everything out.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top