1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pop and Lock for 2016+ Tacoma

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by jpham, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Apr 2, 2017 at 9:34 AM
    northerntaco92

northerntaco92 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    taylor
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport Double Cab long box; Super White II
    Aux Beam LED headlights Aux Beam LED Foglights Roll-X Tonneau Cover LED Interior lighting
    i do the basic stuff first.. the connector being plugged in isn't the problem.

2. Apr 2, 2017 at 9:52 AM
    Pikestaco

Pikestaco Newbie

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    need to learn more about this stuff
    So even though the website says 05-15 does it work for 3rd gen 16 and 17's??

Also. What is the big difference between the kits? Does the basic allow me to still use my key to open? I couldnt understand the difference between the 3 options from their website descriptions

3. Apr 2, 2017 at 11:04 AM
    OdiN1701

OdiN1701 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR DC SB
    You want the Pop & Lock PL8535. It says for Tundra but works just fine. Never been to their website so don't know what options you're talking about. Got mine on Amazon.

4. Apr 2, 2017 at 1:21 PM
    JaTe

JaTe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    Label has been updated to say tacoma 2016-2017

IMG_20170401_170542.jpg

5. Apr 12, 2017 at 11:56 PM
    1bad2k

1bad2k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lone Star State
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD PRO
    How long are these actuators lasting for people? I bought a dynolock automatic tailgate lock for a 2006 Silverado SS I had and even upgraded to their HD actuator. After about a year it got tired of working lol. I took it out and trashed it. I wouldn't mind getting one of these for my '17 taco if they're holding up. I'll probably wire it up to a switch in the cab only and not run it off the door lock pin, so I can just use it when actually needed. A little less convenient, but might actually last.

6. Apr 13, 2017 at 12:06 AM
    bacon_st

bacon_st Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    16' Taco TRD sport
    I bought and installed this the very first week of my Tacoma purchase. And it's coming up to one year in May, and mine appears to have no problems so far, and has worked as expected. Besides, they are cheap.. if a $29 dollar actuator like this one lasted me a year, then it has paid for itself in my opinion.

7. May 8, 2017 at 11:21 AM
    trdacevedo43

trdacevedo43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edgar
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport
    Ordered mine today. Sub'd to this tread. Very helpful info

8. May 8, 2017 at 1:05 PM
    Squanto

Squanto Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB 4x4 Tacoma SR5
    Anyone know of a power lock that can be used with the aux button on a security system?

9. Jul 6, 2017 at 5:07 PM
    JKDer

JKDer Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road DCSB
    @northerntaco92 , did you ever figure out your fuse blowing issue? I was just curious since I'm about to install my Pop N Lock for the first time. Thanks!

10. Jul 6, 2017 at 9:27 PM
    Bastek

Bastek Average Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seb
    SI NY
    Vehicle:
    '17 OR dcsb
    KDMaxP10, plastidip
    I finally finished my installation. I kinda followed @mesojdm B pillar pink wires route (PINK: green to green, red to blue), but I've managed to CUT one of the fu**ing wires with the wire tap. Not too happy about it... Also that is when I found out that soldering iron gave up... I spliced the wires, so if anything ever stops working, I know where to start looking, but this time with a soldering iron.
    Anyways, it works. It's great just to lock it up with the keyfob. I just wish that Pop And Lock would provide proper instructions for a 3rd Gen Taco.

MESO likes this.
  11. Jul 16, 2017 at 8:33 PM
    urbncby

urbncby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD Off-Road
    Ironman 4X4 Foam Cell Pro stage 2, 33” MT’s, Victory 4x4 winch bumper.
    I installed this tonight, it went smooth and works great.

12. Aug 17, 2017 at 10:35 PM
    Elliebarley1978

Elliebarley1978 Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    weathertech floor liners, wet okole fronts, leer 100xq cap, trd exhaust
    Where is the best place to purchase from?

13. Aug 18, 2017 at 5:25 AM
    Bastek

Bastek Average Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seb
    SI NY
    Vehicle:
    '17 OR dcsb
    KDMaxP10, plastidip
    I don't know about the best place, but I bought mine on Amazon.

Pop & Lock PL8535 Power Tailgate Lock for Toyota Tundra https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LST3022/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_ahaiqDowbNyow

It is PL 8535, even though it says it doesn't fit Tacoma, it does.

su.b.rat and Lt. Dangle like this.
  14. Sep 16, 2017 at 7:11 PM
    FN-2187

FN-2187 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Irvine
    Vehicle:
    2017 Stormtrooper White Tacoma TRD Pro
    Snugtop Rebel with windoors
    Installed mine today. Like others have said, the instructions are crap. Thank god I found this thread and watched the video earlier in it otherwise I would have never figured out the correct wires to splice in to. After finishing up, it didn't work. I trouble shot all the connections, still no dice. Lastly, I really cranked down on the connectors with a set of pliers and that did the trick. So happy. Thank you for starting this thread and blazing the way.

15. Sep 16, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    68injunhed

68injunhed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    SE Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2018 SCrew F150
    A couple things
    Yup, youtube made it easy. Mine works great!

16. Sep 18, 2017 at 11:27 AM
    TexTako

TexTako Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma MGM 4x4 TRD OR DCSB AT
    Installed mine this past weekend and no issues at all. It worked fine. The only thing that I will add for the installation instructions is that if you go by the passenger's side route (as I did) -following the the original harness installed above the chassis-, just note there is a section of the existing harness that is thermally insulated (running alongside and near the Muffler) so I recommend to buy a thermal wrapping foil (I bough one from Autozone), and wrap the pop&lock harness cable running alongside the existing thermal insulated cable; so it will be protected from the heat produced by the muffler. (If you see the undercarriage, all the surrounded area near the muffler has thermal insulation and thermal shield. I watched several videos and none of them indicate that is necessary to protect the new harness from heat. I think that doing so, will keep the new wiring from get damaged -sooner than later- due the excessive heat exposure of the muffler.
    After all, if Toyota's factory used a thermal insulation foil to wrap and protect the original harness (for the section running near the muffler) then equally, a protection is also needed for the new cable. I wrapped the new cable individually, and then attached to the existing one insulated with strips of the same foil.
    An additional tip: For this part of the route, don't use plastic cable ties to secure the new cable to the existing one, as it will get also damaged due the heat. Instead I used strips of the same thermal foil to secure both harnesses together (Thermal strip comes with glue). Then after you leave the area of muffler you can use again cable ties until you reach the rubber grommet and get into the cabin. I connected to the Kick board connector and cables as indicated by others, so it works with the passange doors (open with second click of "unlock" in the remote control, and close with one click of the "lock" button). I don't see the requirement to route the cable all the way down to the fuse box in the engine bay (as some videos show). This route is shorter, cleaner and easier than going thru the engine bay.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  17. Sep 18, 2017 at 11:37 AM
    TexTako

TexTako Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma MGM 4x4 TRD OR DCSB AT
    Here is the insulation that I used:

upload_2017-9-18_13-39-33.jpgThermo-Shield protects hoses and wires from radiant heat. The adhesive-backed composite construction tape can easily be wrapped around the hose or wire to make a clean, professional appearance and protect parts from over 90% of radiant heat up to 2000 deg F.

619HiluxLover likes this.
  18. Sep 21, 2017 at 5:29 PM
    Imagesetc

Imagesetc Shock Stormtrooper

Member:
    Monterey Park, 2nd Best City to live in USA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sup White 4x4 TRD Sport LB
    Runner, Rola Rack,Front/Rear bed cam,Pop N Lock
    Yup installed mines today and went along the passenger side.
    I also found a rubber plug (grommet) between the bed and cab near the corner. That was easy to remove and allowed me to drill a hole though the plug and pull the wire through. Then re-inserted the plug. Its water tight. The photo below is looking up from underneath.
    image.jpg

Then pulled the wire to the front passenger and removed the kick panel by the front passenger side
    Pulled the lower black connector.
    image.jpg

Added T-taps to the smaller red and green wires (the last 2 wires on the right side)
    image.jpg

Then inserted the wires connector. Like everyone said, green to green, blue to red.
    image.jpg

Done, now it locks with one push of the fob, and unlocks with two. I set my truck to open just my driver side door with one and all the doors with two clicks. The Bestgle T-Taps are easier to work with like the posi-tap, but cost much less.

Scrappy401 and Tibetan Nomad like this.
  19. Sep 22, 2017 at 11:39 AM
    invidious

invidious Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    @Imagesetc these pictures are super helpful. Thank you!

20. Sep 26, 2017 at 10:38 AM
    brettcp

brettcp Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Installed this (part number PL8535) yesterday on my 2017 TRD Sport Tacoma, took about 90 minutes start to finish - wired to the passenger side door harness.. zip tied every 8-10" or so. Install was straight forward - only minor issue I had was that it was wired backwards (and I followed the directions to a T) - so when I'd lock the doors, the tailgate would unlock.. just swapped the wires at the spade terminals (closest to the solenoid) and all is well. I've read that a lot of people say this is loud.. Yes, you can hear it, but its not annoyingly loud or anything. If you have a tonneau cover, this is a must-have in my opinion. Note that you probably will want more zip ties than they include in the box. The wire taps they provided were perfect and seemed to be high-quality as well.

619HiluxLover, Tuh-coh-mah and RZRob like this.
To Top