1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pop and Lock PL8521 Power Tailgate Install (2012 Tacoma)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JTyfz450, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Jul 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    I assume it should be the same. Word of advice that I think the OP stated is to go to the passenger side. I originally went to the drivers side and could only find 1 of the wires that worked. There were maybe 3 of each color in there. However there was only one set on the passenger side and it works like a charm!

2. Jul 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    Haskett039

Haskett039 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Alpine White
    I am very interested in installing one of these on my 2012...

Have any of you Canadian boys or girls done this yet, if so where did you buy it ? ( Amazon won't deliver to Canada )

My big question is: while researching about it there are a few members that brought up concerns about what do you do if the battery goes dead or the solenoid fails? Liek many i have a tonneau cover that relies on opening the tail gate to open the cover. Has anyone figured out a way around this ?

3. Jul 12, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

ROGU3 PR3DATOR Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    Lifted, Supercharged, Armored, and lots more
    Just did this install today, Looks like I will be opening the tailgate again soon to add a sponge. Great write up OP.

4. Jul 12, 2012 at 11:50 PM
    R3markabl3

R3markabl3 Member

Member:
    San Diego, mission valley
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD SPORT extra pkg, DOUBLE CAB SB
    so far just anti-theft tail gait, USA TRUCK COVER,
    just finished this today after having a problem getting to work the first couple of go arounds..after all the trouble shooting, turns out i had a bad end connection on the wires that were provided, i cut it off and spliced the wire connections together and worked like a charm.

***WORD OF ADVICE, STEP 1- START WITH THE CONNECTING OF THE WIRES and move backwards from the steps given. making sure you have the right connection and making sure your lock works as well as testing the wires (MULTIMETER saved me). once you've made sure all your stuff works and wires are right, proceed to taking apart everything and installing.

5. Jul 13, 2012 at 5:18 AM
    BayRanger

BayRanger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC PreRunner SR5 2.7L I4
    Will be installing mine this week with a factory installed hard tri-fold tonneau cover.
    FYI Amazon has best price BUT voids Pop n Lock warranty for the lock because they consider Amazon an auction site the same as ebay. Kinda sucks but hopefully no problems arise because Amazon has best price by far.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    CDNTACO

CDNTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB-SR5
    Fog Lights, Pop&Lock Electric, G4 Elite Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Bug Shield and Window Deflectors, Smitty Built Nerf Bars and Bull Bar, WeatherTech MudFlaps, ProEFX Tow Mirrors
    I actually had mine ordered by Butch at M.A.T Services in Alexandria Bay along with my G4 Cover. Then booked a camping trip and got it all installed while there. :D

He helped me to install the Pop&Lock at no charge so he would know how to do it for future customers... Check him out. Worth the extra effort.
    http://mat-services.net/

So far as the failure is concerned, My best guess is you will need to get into the bed somehow and remove the inside liner of the tailgate to manually access the actuator and remove it somehow. Can't think of another way to do it.

7. Jul 13, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    I recently had my cap broken into and all my tools and toys stolen because they were able to force the tailgate open from under the back of the cap. So I purchased and installed the mechanical portion of the lock. I found that with enough force the whole unit would rotate and allow the tailgate to open anyway. So I made a piece of bar to go from one of the bolts that holds the cellenoid to the plate to the handle bolt opposite the one that it mounts to stock, to triangulate the entire unite from rotation. I thought that I took pics, but can't find them. I will take some when I do the wiring.
    But wanted to encourage you all to try to force it open as if you were trying to break into your won truck. As this is the force it took to get the tailgate out from under that back window.

8. Jul 13, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    R3markabl3

R3markabl3 Member

Member:
    San Diego, mission valley
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD SPORT extra pkg, DOUBLE CAB SB
    so far just anti-theft tail gait, USA TRUCK COVER,
    if all else fails, get a 9 volt battery find the wires and you can open it.

9. Jul 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    That works if the connection with the lock wire in the cab fails, but what happens when the solenoid itself fails? Like for example, the lock bar thing wont retract back up for the handle to open freely. At that point you're pretty screwed.

10. Jul 14, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    Haskett039

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Alpine White
    Thats the issue i'm having Chad, if the solenoid valve itself fails you could be stuck. I work with SV's alot and the failure rate can be pretty high depending on the quality.

I have to unlock the passanger door for the wife probably 2 or 3 times a day, over the span of a couple of years thats alot of action for a little 12v SV. On the flip side if you are not using it alot there is the possibility of the SV sticking...either way you are in the same boat.

11. Jul 14, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    pdrunk

pdrunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 2.7L
    I just looked at my closed tailgate, with no tonneau cover. You can access every single torx screw with the tailgate closed.

Any type of failure, and you can, with some work, remove all the torx screws and remove the composite panel to the tailgate. Probably not that easy with the tailgate closed, but at that point you're really out of options.

Also, from an above post, it sounds like you can force the tailgate handle and get the tailgate open, even with the solenoid in the locked position.

12. Jul 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    Haskett039

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Alpine White
    I have a tonneau cover so it would make it that much harder if it failed...
    As much as i like the Power Lock, for the 3 or 4 times a month where i actually need to open the tailgate i think i will just go with the keyed lock.

13. Jul 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah most of the time it is just myself that is driving so I don't need to open the passenger door very often. The main reason I got the powered lock was I had read where the whole new apparatus of the mechanical lock did not fit in as flush as the OEM lock, but that is to be expected with most aftermarket products.

14. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    BayRanger

Member:
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    EPIC FAIL!!! HELP!
    Good Lord, I just got 10 minutes into my install and it started getting dark so I was going to move my Taco under better light in the garage. Instinctively, I shut the tailgate... WITHOUT ANY POWER TO THE FREAKIN POP N LOCK!!!
    My tailgate is now officially locked with no power. Yeah. I got a tri-fold tonneau cover that's locked. WTF do I do now? I guess I'll have an official thread when iit's alll said and done on how to open your tailgate if your power fails...
    This blows. I can't believe I just did that. I knew I was screwed the second that tailgate clicked shut but it was too late.
    Any help will be appreciated as I try not to panic.
    BTW... my other laptop is on inside my locked bed with this thread open as an install reference. Nice.

15. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    Deathcure

Deathcure Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Wheeling WV
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma Off Road
    :popcorn: subed for future use

16. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    pdrunk

pdrunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 2.7L
    Did you connect the bullet connectors from the lock to the long length of wire inside the tailgate? If so then you can send power to the lock with a 9volt battery. If all you've done so far was bolt inthe lock in a locked position, I'm not sure what to do. Sorry.

Need more info on how far into the install and what you have done so far...

17. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:39 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    I just instaled mine the other day, and almost locked the keys in the bed under the cover. Anyway ^ That guy mentioned you might be able to force the handle, causing the lock mechanism to rotate enough that the tailgate opens. But I would be worried about the tailgate handle breaking. If you can get to the wires, and they are hooked up, I would try the 9v battery option. Short of that, I dont know what to suggest.

18. Jul 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    pdrunk

pdrunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 2.7L
    I tried forcing the handle, but the lock held firm and I didnt want to go any further and break the handle.

19. Jul 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    ROGU3 PR3DATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Alamogordo, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    MGM 2011 TRD Off-Road
    I would make a new thread asking for help. More people may see it and might be able to help.

20. Jul 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM
    BayRanger

Member:
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    OK guys... Well first off, I had literally only gotten to the first step where I bolted in the solenoid. It arrived in package in thee "locked" position and I didn't change it manually before bolting it onto the tailgate.
    So... I have the "Rugged Cover" tri-fold tonneau installed from Toyota. It has a rubber "draft tube" (for lack of a better term) that sits flush with the tailgate when closed.
    I got my brother to come over and I pryed the tonneau up off the closed tailgate top and created about 3" of space, then wedged a piece of wood in. Repeated with a 2nd piece of wood wedged in there and made enough space between the tonneau and the tailgate to where my brother could slip his hand and wrist into the bed area. He reached down just enough to manually disengage the bar on the solenoid by literally pushing it til it slid "open", therby releasing the tailgate latch to operate the handle.
    Now... if I would've had the plastic tailgate liner installed covering the mechanism inside the tailgate, I'd have been thoroughly screwed.
    Thank God I still had it exposed inside the bed and that my tonneau didn't have a lip wrapped around the end of the tailgate.
    That was close. I've had my truck for a few weeks only and I thought I was gonna have to start breaking shit on it. Not cool.
    Thanks a million to all who responded so quickly to my yelp for help! This forum is the shiz.
    Todd
    P.S. I'm going to wait til morning to get back into the install. I need a good nights sleep after all that nonsense. Geez...

To Top