1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pop and Lock PL8521 Power Tailgate Install (2012 Tacoma)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JTyfz450, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Oct 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    skiomax

skiomax Pro skier

Member:
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TDR Sport DC
    Extang cover Thule roof rack pop & Lock Short antena Weathertech floor liner TRD skid plate Leather Seat package
    it was the kit PL8521, that's taxe in, I already have the camera, not sure what it will have in the package I didn't opened it yet. but its everything I need... little expensive but I don't have to drive to the US to get one.

2. Oct 26, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    skiomax

skiomax Pro skier

Member:
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TDR Sport DC
    Extang cover Thule roof rack pop & Lock Short antena Weathertech floor liner TRD skid plate Leather Seat package
    Nice, little cheaper for sure. oh too late for me now already got mine at home, just need to the Truck to install it.

3. Oct 26, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    batchelor22

batchelor22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jameel
    BC, Canada
    Four months? Good grief. Okay, time for a pep talk. It's an easy Saturday or Sunday afternoon install, so get at it, Mark. Just follow the instructions. If you need more, look at the images here. I didn't have those images when I installed mine. Today I'd print them off to have handy. Nearly impossible to mess up with all that available.

Okay, you have convinced me to give this a shot myself. Was going to have the accessory dealer install it for $100 but I will tackle it. Still uncertain about pulling panels to find the wiring to hook into but I am sure it is not the ultimate challenge. ;)

4. Oct 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    Epic write up. Installed this on my buddies Tacoma and it took literally a half hour. Thanks a lot!

5. Nov 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM
    jptheriot

jptheriot Meso Investor #5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jp
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 / previously owned 1st and 2nd Gen
    Step Bars / BakFlip FiberMax Tonneau Cover /5% Tint Rear 20% Front / Reverse Cam Anytime / Coin Holder / LED Interior and reverse lights / Katzkin Leather Interior / Hondo knobs / TRD Pro Wheels / Black badges / Pro grille / @mesojdm designed Ultimate LED side mirror turn signals, BTLM, BD 3rd Brake Light, GASSHOLE, Ultimate Dome Light, Ultimate Map Lights, Custom Fuse Cover, Custom OEMeso Headlights / In-dash Universal Mount with iOmount
    Great write up. Planning on using it pretty soon, so thanks. But I did have one question.

My bed cover locks from the inside when I close it. To unlock I have to pull the tailgate down and then unlock the cover latches underneath. Which leads to my question with this product.

What happens if the lock gets stuck in the locked position? Malfunction, or maybe a wire comes loose, etc. Has anyone given thought to how to get it open?

Thanks,
    Jp

6. Nov 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    It (lock stuck with a bed cover) has been discussed. Don't remember if it was in this thread or another. Also don't remember whether a solution was firmly established. At this point, many thousands have beed sold (the company makes them from several pickup trucks), with no reports of a lock failure that I'm aware of.

7. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    Trd2013taco

Trd2013taco Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    trd off road
    kinda reminds me of the fj rear hatch lock but it has key lock aswell, too bad tacomas dont have this option using manual/remote locks or do they? other then aftermarket

8. Nov 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    SteelCityPickle

SteelCityPickle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    The Burgh
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD Sport V6-6spd
    Extang Tri-Fecta Tonneau Cover
    The same thing that happens when something else malfunctions, or another wire comes loose... You fix it, or pay someone else to fix it, right? If you ask me, it's all about the install. Install it right the first time and you have little to no problems.

9. Nov 15, 2012 at 4:45 AM
    jky999

jky999 Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 Offroad Double Cab
    ARE Zseries cap, Thule rack, Icon 2.5" Coilovers, Icon 2" rears, 1.5" Wheelers Progressive AAL, FJ rims in silver, BAMF sliders.
    Many thanks to the OP. The factory supplied directions are rubbish and finding the two necessary wires could have been an ordeal.

10. Nov 15, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    CDNTACO

CDNTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    Ottawa Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB-SR5
    Fog Lights, Pop&Lock Electric, G4 Elite Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Bug Shield and Window Deflectors, Smitty Built Nerf Bars and Bull Bar, WeatherTech MudFlaps, ProEFX Tow Mirrors
    You did well for sure. There must have been a price drop on the Electric Version since I bought mine earlier this year. Oh well, either way it's dam worth it and am very happy to be able to lock up the tailgate and use the locks on my G4 Elite cover to secure everything in the bed.

11. Nov 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    yawhatever

yawhatever Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport 4X4
    Bakflip F1 tonneau cover Auto Sliding Rear Window Anytime rearview camera Redline Hood Struts Weather Tech Floor Mats Pop n lock remote Storage locks Nfab bars LED interior lights
    Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this post. Just finished installing the lock. Thanks to all of your detailed descriptions my install was easy and tidy.

12. Nov 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I just helped a family member install a manual pop n lock on his 2013 Tacoma. The key difference between the manual and the power lock kits is that the manual one disconnects the handle from the operating linkage. The power lock only blocks it. Enough muscle, and I believe the power locked handle could be forced. The manual handle can't, you could pull on it all day and nothing will happen when locked.

From the looks of it, the manual pop and lock could be modified to be power OR key operated. The design is very similar to a normal, factory door lock. It also looks like there is enough room to add a power actuator. Maybe someday I will try it. It appears it would be more secure, and would solve the problem of opening the tailgate after the power actuator takes a dump.

13. Nov 18, 2012 at 3:33 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Okay, lets get past this misconception. To do that with the power lock (force it), you'd have to bend either the metal mounting bracket or the metal bar blocking the tailgate handle movement. Since the metal on both are quite substantial (not thin stuff), you'd likely break the plastic tailgate handle clean off long before bending either of those parts. Certainly nothing wrong with the manual lock you selected, but the power lock is quite robust as well.

14. Nov 24, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    Sant919

Sant919 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Santo
    New haven ct
    Vehicle:
    12 trd sport lb
    are the wires under the passenger seat or under glove box?(the wires I splice into)

15. Nov 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    The wires are behind the side panel - next to where passengers place their feet, Santo. Pull straight up on the plastic door sill (scuff guard) to pop it off, unscrew the knob holding the side panel on (the knob is located at the front of the panel), and then pull the panel directly towards the rear of the vehicle (it pops off as well, so expect some resistance).

The tailgate lock wires are normally brought into the cab through the large rubber grommet under the seat (already has a large bundle of wires), ran to and along the channel normally under the door sill, and then to the side panel area. The wires you want to splice into are located towards the front of the side panel area.

Leave the plastic sleeve on the tailgate lock wires until you reach the side panel area. This usually requires using a screwdriver or similar to spread the large rubber grommet under the seat and someone above to help pull the wiring (complete with plastic sleeve) into the vehicle as your feed it from below.

16. Nov 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    paid4c4

paid4c4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern KY
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 TDR Sport, Auto Extended Cab
  17. Nov 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    The issue is the single mounting bolt. Two bolts, and you would have to bend something. One bolt, the whole thing can pivot.

Ultimate setup, IMHO, is manual keylock with power actuator custom mounted to it. No more worries about the power actuator failing and getting locked out.

18. Nov 25, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    No, it can't pivot. The mounting bracket for the electric lock mounts flush against the bracket securing the tailgate handle - two large flat surfaces fitted flush against each other. Again, you'd have to physically bend one of those brackets (the flat surfaces or something else) before the lock itself could possibly pivot. And, again, you'd certainly break the plastic tailgate handle long before that. Any suggestion that the lock could pivot is simply incorrect.

19. Nov 25, 2012 at 11:28 PM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    if you're afraid of it pivoting why not just use red loctite adhesive. I'm pretty sure they'll be zero budge there.

20. Dec 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    skiomax

skiomax Pro skier

Member:
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TDR Sport DC
    Just got mine installed today, the only thing I found it very loud when it unlock or lock... not sure if someone figure a way to reduce that noise... its not a big deal really but more and OCD thing for me.

To Top