1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pop & Lock for Tacoma now with Bolt Lock

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PaulK, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Jan 18, 2014 at 7:04 AM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    Hopefully that was just one of those rare defective ones. Keep us updated.

2. Jan 18, 2014 at 5:44 PM
    Bobcape

Bobcape Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Black Hills, SD
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB SR-5
    I installed my PL5400 today. The hardest part was finding a T35 Torx bit. Three places did not have one. Finally found a set at Champion Auto that included a T35. The installation took about 15 minutes. The only surprise was when I coded the lock with my key. You press it all the way in and turn it fully clockwise. In a video that I watched it looked like the key only turned about 20 degrees. For the initial coding it turns about 270 degrees. I almost didn't turn it far enough. After that the lock or unlock arc is only about 20 degrees. It was super simple to install.

Bob

3. Mar 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    Freezercat

Freezercat Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport 4x4 Magnetic Grey
    Just installed my pop and lock this afternoon. As advertised installation was only about 15 min with the bulk of that removing and installing the tailgate cover screws. One caution - I didn't see any mention of this anywhere - the exposed tailgate stampings are pretty sharp... learned that when loosening the camera bolt.

Other than that wasn't bad for a first mod..

4. May 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    JPA2002

JPA2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Roanoke, VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCSB TRD Pro
    Received mine today, and installed it in less than 15 minutes! Used my new Milwaukee M18 3/8 impact to remove and install screws, so it went quick. The bolt "keying" is slick!!!!! Love it!

Oh, I am new here, or maybe it has been years ago. I just recently purchased a 2012 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport in white (15K miles). I have had 2 other tacomas (95 and I think 98 or 99, both limiteds). So I am used to modding my vehicles, so here we go with mod #1. Access limited cover next, weather tech mats, and oem Tacoma bed mat. That should be enough for a little while.

Jon

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  5. Jun 17, 2014 at 11:40 AM
    chubrok

chubrok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Yorkville, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport W/ Nav
    Got a quick question... do the key lock and electronic lock work independently? I want the electronic one for convenience.... but want the key lock just incase the electronic one fails... so... if the key lock is activated... will the electronic over ride it? and vice versa?

6. Jun 17, 2014 at 2:33 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Yes. it operates the same way the regular doors operate. you can LOCK then use your key to unlock the truck . Then the same is for the inverse.
    \

So yes. they work TOGETHER. Each overrides the other.

7. Jun 17, 2014 at 4:20 PM
    elcompalalo

elcompalalo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Las Vegas
    Has anyone purchased one of the PTM locks and installed with the backup camera?

Curious to see how the finished product looks.

8. Jun 17, 2014 at 4:26 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    PTM?

I have the non electric version. With the camera. Works fine.

9. Jun 17, 2014 at 6:11 PM
    elcompalalo

elcompalalo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Las Vegas

Painted To Match.

I was checking out the site and they sell them painted.

10. Jun 17, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Ah. Yeah. Thats one part that gets LOTS of abuse. Would not want it painted on mine. Normally I am a huge fan of color matched everything. .I would have to have the rest of the door handles matched too.

11. Jun 17, 2014 at 9:05 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Same feeling here... but Super White, Base Model, and Stormtrooper just go together ;)

I do need to derp my badges.

12. Jun 18, 2014 at 3:35 PM
    AlexTaco

AlexTaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    I just installed the bolt one in my taco a few weeks ago. I have a few small complaints/issues. It seems that the new handle doesn't cover all the space around the area (I'll try to post a pic later). Also, and I am not sure if this is normal with bolt technology, but whenever I insert my key, it feels as if I have to force it in the opening. It also makes a a lot of grinding noise. Is this normal?

13. Jun 18, 2014 at 3:45 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Watch the videos of how the bolt tech works. It is A Self Pinning cylinder. So yes and no. It is more of a wafer lock. Like a desk drawer.

14. Jun 19, 2014 at 5:10 AM
    CoastieN70

CoastieN70 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    14 PreRunner SR5
    From Pop and Locks Site: "Please note that Pop & Lock™ Products purchased on auction sites such as Ebay, Amazon and Craig's List, etc. will not be covered under factory warranty under any circumstances. Pop & Lock™ LLC (and Pop & Lock™ Corporation) is unable to verify whether products sold through auction sites are new, used, or refurbished, therefore, Pop & Lock LLC (and Pop & Lock™ Corporation) is unable to warranty such purchases. Pop & Lock LLC advises using extreme caution when purchasing our locks through auction sites as you'll be doing so at your own risk"

The site lists authorized dealers including web dealers. I ordered form one of the web dealers, BuyAutoTruckAccessories.com, for $68.95 delivered. I will post again when it arrives and I install it...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Jun 22, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    CoastieN70

CoastieN70 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    14 PreRunner SR5
    I ordered this on 6/19 and it arrived on 6/21. I'm impressed with the promptness of BuyAutoTruckAccessories.com.

Anyway, I was away for the day yesterday and when I arrived home last evening there was a package on my porch. Sure enough I had the new Pop and Lock for my Tacoma.

Installation is as straight forward as previously described so I won't bore you with the details but suffice it to say it took longer to gather my tools (and I'm fairly organized) and clean up upon completion than it did to install the new latch assembly. I watched the videos and read the instructions on line before ordering.

As said in other posts, the actual latch handle could be a bit more robust but it works so...

Keying the assembly was simple but it is a bit surprising that the length of throw for the "keying process" is long and it is surprisingly short for actual operation.

Is this a worth while mod? Compared to the cost of replacing a stolen tailgate, it's cheaper than your insurance deductible. I do personally know 2 friends who have had their tailgates stolen so I know it does happen...

16. Jun 26, 2014 at 3:36 AM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.

Also looking for pics and feedback of the painted to match pop n locks.

17. Jun 27, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    saw this thread yesterday and was seriously thinking of changing or replacing my standard pop and lock with the one with bolt and power switch.
    but then realized, the power switch is actually not a good idea. I don't lock the doors (I know some other car brands automatically locks the doors when you drive), so its like driving with your trunk open (well, actually unlocked in this case, but I prefer to keep it locked until I really want to open the tailgate). If the setup is like cars where there is a separate button for trunk, then I'll definitely do it. And having a different key for the tailgate is better in case you park in a parking lot that is valet only. So in the end, I think the good old standard pop and lock works just fine.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  18. Jun 27, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Can't the power lock be wired to momentary switch feeding it 12VDC instead of the security system?
    How would a valet know your ignition key opens your tailgate? And if they did wouldn't they make themselves the prime suspect if something was missing?

19. Jun 28, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    calico

calico Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited
    Viper Alarm and Remote Start Prestigious Society mod Camera display relocated to headunit Weathertec floor mats, window deflectors, and mud flaps Toyota Bed mat Tailgate lock Undercover SE tonneau and Swing Cases (driver and passenger) Hi-lift install Fumoto Qwik Valve ImMrYo Mirror mod Salex console organizer
    Just attempted to install my Pop & Lock with Bolt and, although the handle was no problem, the back up camera did not fit and the bolt holes did not line up properly. Don't know if I was simply sent the wrong part or what, but I did contact the company today and, hopefully, they'll get back to me soon.

Can't say I wasn't a bit upset and frustrated. Below are some comparison pics.

First pic: Old PopnLock on the top and the one with Bolt on the bottom.

Second pic: Shows the camera openings.

IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg

20. Jun 30, 2014 at 3:26 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    Hmm the hole definitely looks like a different size/shape. Pop & Lock is very easy to deal with. My 5500 was defective and they sent me a replacement within a week, no questions asked, so I'm sure they'll sort things out :thumbsup:

To Top