1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

pop noise - failing rear engine mount?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by God's Sun, May 15, 2009.

1. May 15, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    God's Sun

God's Sun [OP] Member

Member:
    Coarsegold, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 3.4L 4wd
    All Stock-All New..deck-plate, blinker, diff snorkel mods. Speed-bleaders(including clutch&load sensor). Bilstein all around. Performance brake pads and shoes. Trail and fog lights. HD u-joints. iEquus gauges-oil pressure, water temp, volts, A/F mix. Extra cab light. Bed lights. Over-sized condenser. Oil blow-back trap and filter. K&N drop-in. Extra Deep cycle battery. Performance clutch. New cooling system, oil pump, altenator...and a few more i'm sure. always adding more.
    Would a failing rear engine mount cause a pop noise when the clutch is let out. Right when the the energy is transferred from motor to the transmission there is a noticeable pop right before the tires turn. All new drive shaft last year with quality joints at a respectable shop so i figure this is not the source of the noise. If i feather the clutch no pop, if i let out the clutch like normal a pop that is getting louder. Clutch is new as well, the truck (mounts included) has 220k miles. Ever now and then I here the pop at slow speeds (parking lots) when turning sharply, so this as well makes me think not clutch. With the mileage on the mounts I am going to change them front too when $$$ allows. Do you think I am on the right track would a failing mount pop? As always thanks guys. Long live the Tacoma

2. May 15, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    allupinsydeyou

allupinsydeyou Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal / vegas
    Vehicle:
    v8 swapped yota. dyno tuned @ 400hp
    modified total chaos uppers and lowers... king coilovers, deaver leafs, full cage, 351w motor swap, etc..
    never heard of a rear engine mount. you mean a tranny mount? you only have a passenger and driver side engine mount and then a tranny mount. unless they have incorporated a new mount i have yet to see. start the truck and have the hood popped... notice alot of engine shake? more than normal? get under the truck and look where the tranny conects to the cross brace... notice any rubber peices hanging or excessive shake?

3. May 15, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Could be your rear-end..

4. May 15, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    God's Sun

God's Sun [OP] Member

Member:
    Coarsegold, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 3.4L 4wd
    All Stock-All New..deck-plate, blinker, diff snorkel mods. Speed-bleaders(including clutch&load sensor). Bilstein all around. Performance brake pads and shoes. Trail and fog lights. HD u-joints. iEquus gauges-oil pressure, water temp, volts, A/F mix. Extra cab light. Bed lights. Over-sized condenser. Oil blow-back trap and filter. K&N drop-in. Extra Deep cycle battery. Performance clutch. New cooling system, oil pump, altenator...and a few more i'm sure. always adding more.
    yeah its the transmission mount, in the FSM its called the rear engine mount, but its under the transmission, would this cause a pop? When I replace the mount if I still have the pop and I start looking at the rear end, any ideas of what I should look for going out back there. Thanks guys for your thoughts.

5. May 15, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno SR5 DCLB
    Bearings. Possibly just the axle, but maybe the third-member.

6. May 15, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    God's Sun

God's Sun [OP] Member

Member:
    Coarsegold, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 3.4L 4wd
    3rd member? and I assume..scary I know...you mean bearing in my axle.

7. May 15, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    allupinsydeyou

Member:
    so cal / vegas
    Vehicle:
    modified total chaos uppers and lowers... king coilovers, deaver leafs, full cage, 351w motor swap, etc..
    third member... that thing your driveshaft connects to on your axle. and i really doubt that is the issue. those axles are the crush sleeve type so there is a shitload of pressure against your bearings at all time... they have relatively no slop in them at all... i would say start with checking your tranny mount and driveshafts.

8. May 15, 2009 at 7:30 PM
    God's Sun

God's Sun [OP] Member

Member:
    Coarsegold, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 3.4L 4wd
    I was out there looking and my leaf springs are looking a little tired. The gap between the closest leaf and the overload leaf at its edge straight up is about 1.5" at most, this from the sagging leaf springs I figure, should I have more clearence? Would worn leaf springs make noise? I hope not $400 for a set....the truck is well maintained but it does have 220K and alot of that up in the sierras.

9. May 15, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    God's Sun

God's Sun [OP] Member

Member:
    Coarsegold, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 3.4L 4wd
    Well my first move I think is my mounts, my engine mounts are new changed when I put my new motor in at 197K, but I didn't change the transmission mount, this is the cheapest starting point and I'm sure it couldn't hurt. Besides I love spending money on my Tacoma, leaf springs are down the road. Thanks again guys for the support.

10. May 15, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    allupinsydeyou

Member:
    so cal / vegas
    Vehicle:
    no one said buy a new on yet. wouldnt hurt but dont waste money. you need to inspect things before you go buyin new ones.

11. May 15, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    God's Sun

God's Sun [OP] Member

Member:
    Coarsegold, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 3.4L 4wd
    I had the rear end up yesturday everything was tight and fluid levels ok, if my transmission mount was failing would i be able to move it bare-handed? Im strong but its a lot heavier than I am. If I try to move it bare handed and nothing moves does it mean my mount is good? and I should look elsewhere.

12. May 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    allupinsydeyou

Member:
    so cal / vegas
    Vehicle:
    eh... if you can get to the tail shaft of it with a jack and a block of wood... get it to where it is snug against it and give the jack one more crank up... if you watch it and nothing moves, your good, if it shifts, then you have a issue.

13. May 15, 2009 at 8:31 PM
    God's Sun

God's Sun [OP] Member

Member:
    Coarsegold, Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma 3.4L 4wd
    Thanks sounds like an excellent plan...love this site

14. May 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    allupinsydeyou

Member:
    so cal / vegas
    Vehicle:
    no issue. just tryin to help out. positive rep is never frowned upon lol

Products Discussed in

To Top