1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pop-up tent trailers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 42noTaco, May 30, 2012.

1. May 30, 2012 at 9:25 PM
    42noTaco

42noTaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    AC, Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    11 trd off road
    N-fab bars, extang tri fold tonneau cover, but just gettin started
    Wassup guys. So lately I've been looking through different types of pop-up trailers. I've never towed before, so this is completely new. Looking to take some trail rides this summer and want to bring something more than a tent. Don't have much time to build a trailer so thats out of the question. Any suggestions???

2. May 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    AZ mountains
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 stock
    camper shell, platform to replace rear seats.
    I have had 3 tent trailers over the years. The major problem I found is that the pop-up type tend to be pretty heavy. If you opt for many bells and whistles, you will need brakes on the trailer, and it might be a bit heavier than you would want on many trails. I raised the springs to the top the axles for better ground clearance on all of them. The best one I had for offroading was an old tent trailer (not pop-up) that I modified. It was light, probably 500 to 600 pounds loaded. It went nearly everywhere I took my '85 Toyota. There are some interesting trailers out there for the nonDIY type who wants to get off the road. They get pricey, but look neat. Sorry, I don't have any links. It has been a while since I looked at them. Let us know what you find.

3. Jun 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    42noTaco

Member:
    AC, Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    11 trd off road
    Thanks for the info. I've definately got a lot more research to do. Was looking at a Starcraft pop-up. Problem is I don't see too many people on here using them. Most either made their own or are using a dedicated off road trailer.

4. Jun 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    Grillcraft mx black upper and lower BHLM with Gloss black 265 70 17 bfg a/t center console light mini mag mounted in center console debadged bed lights 35W 5000k HID's
    I've been looking into the same thing for a while...

I plan on buying a 10 foot trailer with furnace(for winer camping and hunting trips)
    fridge and stove.

I'm going to do a leaf over axle swap to lift it up, and put a solid rear bumper on it so I can drag it into some tougher spots if I have to.

I'll be looking for one with brakes, as I'll have the trailer and coolers, as well asthe water tank full inside it while I tow, so it will have some weight to it.

5. Jun 1, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Arlington, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
  6. Jun 1, 2012 at 10:27 PM
    42noTaco

Member:
    AC, Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    11 trd off road
    @Ouyin, yea I've slowly been dissecting the Towing Bible.
    @rab89, a 10ft would be nice buy I got a whole family to bring along. If only these things were so costly I'd get both, LOL

To Top