1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Popping sound on rough roads.. (cab mnt?)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rzimm001, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Jul 24, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    I've developed this popping sound that occurs in the front end of my truck (2wd, 33" tires, lift spindles, chaos arms). It only occurs when I'm driving along heavily rutted roads which shift the truck side to side (Indiana Jones style driving). I don't hear it driving on asphalt unless I turn into a drive abruptly at speed. It doesn't seem to affect my alignment as the steering wheel never changes alignment after. I'm thinking cab mounts (But I'm 08' & tsb is 05'); Or wheel bearings (but I don't hear/ feel it on the asphalt); or alignment cams (can't see any shiny spots from wear).. WTF??

How would I check cab mnts?

Suggestions? I'd really appreciate any that might steer me in the right direction. Thank You

EDIT: Culprit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4lduZmPABo

IMG_2739_e8ab302b4933f8b92841a9692c6e51eaf7b20b36.jpg

No Gap (Good)
    IMG_2935_8ab2c5a8567fccd58a08667ad2c234d6c3684a82.jpg

With Gap (Bad, indicates bushing is moving under driving conditions)
    IMG_2934_a4098cd9ce33c27d01b68bc1eb6761d7fa049984.jpg

Crom likes this.
  2. Jul 24, 2011 at 3:33 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Push the cab?

I would get underneath and shake everything that you can shake. Look for bad bushings, upper and lower control arms. Grab the tires and try shaking the truck back and forth, side to side from the tires, I bet you find your noise. At a stop, wrap your steering wheel back and forth quickly.

3. Jul 24, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    It must take a lot of force to pop those bushings. If I wanted to service them or mod them to iliminate my possibilities.. any idea what is available?

4. Aug 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    racer1x

racer1x Well-Known Member

Member:
    campbell ca
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco
    Too many
    Check the lower spindle bolts mine loosened up causing a popping sound while turning occasionally. I have to take the bolts backout and put thread lock on them.

5. Aug 14, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    It could be A ball joint. My truck sometimes make a pop sound when I turn it right, and it sounds like my ball joint on my tie rod.

6. Aug 14, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    06RadiantRed

06RadiantRed Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road - RadRed!!
    ICON ext. Travel Coilovers, TC UCAs, Fox 2.0 FJ Rear Shox + 2"AAL rear
    Sounds like a similar issue i am having. would love to find out where this random pop comes from!

Initially, i had a pretty bad pop/clunk while breaking or on bumpy roads. Turned out to be the LCA bolts were too lose and allowing my arm to kind of slide up/down in the brace there.

Maybe the bushing there are dead now? What still persists today is occasionally, when I hit something, usually while turning with my right front wheel i get a damn loud pop noise. Often happens if i do a quick 3 point turn into someone driveway and my right wheel nails the lip of a driveway while im braking. Its loud, this is no "floating brake pad" noise.

7. Aug 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    I was so sure that that was were the noise was coming from I had my buddy tig weld the spindle to the BJ carrier.. no joy. Still clunks.

All the ball joints seem snug when I jack up the truck. The left side has been replaced with a moog; unnecessarily I'm afraid. I haven't done the right side but it just doesn't seem like that is the problem. My buddy had bad ball joints on his ranger but they rattled around all the time and it was so obvious. This is only on occasion under hard turns into a driveway or offroading. Could that still be a ball joint?

Sounds exactly my situation. My friends went with me while I drove up this jeep trail behind my place. One of them rode in the bed and swares the sound is coming from under the bed. The only thing there that I think of that would make a metal on metal clunk is the leaf springs. I guess the noise can vibrate through the entire frame making it difficult to spot. Everybody swares they hear it in the back end when they are outside of the cab. Now I haven't a clue.

8. Aug 29, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Here is a video of the sound. It occurs only once at 25 seconds. The sound is not loud in the video but believe me it becomes much more obnoxious in the cab. Still haven't a clue what causes it. http://youtu.be/aSHTlOrezpo

9. Aug 30, 2011 at 3:16 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Interesting. Kinda sounds like an upper control arm issue because of when it happens, maybe the ball joint there. I'm not convinced on it though. Not quite the hollow sound id expect. I don't think its a cab mount though. I would jack it up on that corner and see if you can trace it down.

10. Aug 30, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    ksj

ksj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    265/70-17 KO2
    Probably the stabilizer end link (between the spindle & the sway bar). I've had that problem with my 350z.

11. Aug 30, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Is it bottoming out? I couldn't hear the sound in the video (no sound at work) but it seems the only time the front suspension collapsed that far was at 25 seconds in.

12. Aug 30, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    ball joints, upper and lower

tie rod ends

bearings

sway bar linkage?

control arm bushings

sway arm bushings

suspension bushings.

13. Aug 30, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    I agree. Doesn't sound quite like a cab mount. The UCA is a chaos uniball. I've yanked on but it seems tight as can be. :confused:

It's nearly impossible to replicate without driving it. I was tapping the parts with a rubber mallet yesterday and didn't get anywhere.

14. Aug 30, 2011 at 8:47 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Swaybar has been removed

15. Aug 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    I've heard the same sound just making a sharp turn into or out of a parking lot. I think that would illiminate the bottoming out theory. Even if it was bottoming out, why is there a double click? It's like tick tock. The tock doesn't happen until it's fully extended in the video. Strange...

16. Aug 30, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    I'll regrease the upper control arms but it sounds almost like a frame pop..

17. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:00 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
  18. Aug 30, 2011 at 9:07 AM
    GTACO

GTACO GTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    Murrieta, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Camburg Spindles, Total Chaos UCAs & LCAs, Fox 2.5 c/o front, Fox 2.0 rear, All Pro 3" leafs, Dumped Borla muffler, AFE intake, DTF front bumper, Demello rear bumper.
    Intrested in seeing the outcome on this. I have the same noise coming from my front end... :confused:

19. Aug 30, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    well, from the first video, it sounds like its when you hit speedbumps, when theirs alot of articulation. Id be curious to know that your frame is in perfect condition, crossmember is solid, coils are seated square in their retention plate etc etc

also, im just spouting out ideas :D

20. Aug 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Spout away! If I had the answer I wouldn't be posting :D. I notice it mostly during articulation as you say. The video was taken while driving down the street where the street dips down for water diversion and than rapidly changes to an ascent. So the road was like a "V". There was no speed bump. Though I've often heard this sound when turning into a drive with a lip that bumps the suspension a little. I too am wondering if it's the frame. But how the hell do you check a frame. I mean there's no cracks to be seen. I've had my head up in there a million times. The motor mounts are not buckling like the 2005s were doing; primarily because toyota got their shit together and reinforced that area.

Products Discussed in

To Top