1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Port and Polish

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ironman_jon, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jan 27, 2017 at 5:24 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    The weight loss in your wallet should net you an improvement in the 1/4 :popcorn:

2. Jan 27, 2017 at 7:39 PM
    evilcorvette

evilcorvette Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    oderus urungus
    Syracuse NY
    Porting and polishing heads is from an era where replacement, performance heads didnt exist. The trick was to take a pneumatic tool and grind the inside of the valve pockets to allow a substantial gain in CFM in air intake. The detuned, smog controlled heads of the early 70's had lots of extra meat on them and you could grind quite a bit off. Newer engines are machined to much stricter tolerances and I doubt there is enough 'extra' metal to grind out in the valve pocket.

As for cleaning up the surface between the intake manifold and the head (for better airflow)...the benefits are really top end, at wide open throttle.

No. A port and polish job will not benefit you more than a few horsepower and you will not feel the difference. Invest your time in throttle body upgrades.

3. Jan 28, 2017 at 1:26 AM
    Whiskywolf07

Whiskywolf07 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma v6 4.0 off-road 4X4
    Upgraded tires to KO's (aggressive tread)
    I sucked in water through my air intake box being that's its conveniently located in the f'en wheel well.. so I nownits knocking, nothing too crazy but I think I might have a bent connecting rod or push rod/valve etc.. if I'm lucky it's just my lifter.. but if it is the crank I have to tear it down either way.. might as well p&p... no?

Products Discussed in

To Top