1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Portable Hand Winch / Cable Puller

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by pinem56, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Aug 25, 2018 at 11:55 AM
    pinem56

pinem56 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR DCSB AT
    I am in the market for a portable hand winch. I have basically narrowed things down to the following options:

Wyeth-Scott - 6 ton pulling Capacity - 35' Synthetic Rope
    https://www.westechrigging.com/wyet...ductid=wyeth-scott-3-35-a-slt&channelid=FROOG

Magna (Tirfor) - 3.5 ton pulling capacity - 65'+ cable
    https://www.westechrigging.com/magna-wrp-300.html

ARB Magnum (Tirfor) - 2.5 ton pulling capacity - 65'+ cable
    https://www.quadratec.com/products/91109_4310_07.htm

I am inclined to get a Tirfor type winch as pulling the slack out of the cable is quicker, pull lengths are greater (handy when using a pulley), and the winch is more versatile for other duties than recovery, such as tree falling, vertical hoist, etc. I haven't made up my mind yet, though, and would be interested in any other options. Keep in mind that I want a winch I can use separate from my vehicle for other duties other than recovery.

I realize a hi-lift can be used as a winch also, but the process for using it as a winch is preposterous.

Lastly, what would one consider to be the minimum pulling capacity one would want to use for pulling a Tacoma out of a difficult situation?

2. Aug 26, 2018 at 9:51 AM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    I used to use a 4-ton Griphoist Tirfor while working for the Forest Service to move boulders and trees to close spur trails, and to recover stuck fire trucks, they are awesome. I looked for some used ones on EBay, but went with a Warn mounted on a reciever hitch mount instead (I have front and rear trailer hitches and so I can easily directly pull from either end with the winch). Hand winches are great, but you also need a driver to do many types of recoveries with winches, so for me, hand winches were not going to work.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Wishbone Runner likes this.
  3. Aug 27, 2018 at 8:20 PM
    pinem56

pinem56 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRDOR DCSB AT
    Thanks for the reply. Looked at the dimensions and weight of the 4ton griphoists (TU-34). Holy cow those things are beasts! The Magna model above is pretty big and heavy as well. The ARB unit would likely be more feasible to lug around and use for my needs. I'll just have to use a snatch block if I need more pulling capacity.

OnHartung'sRoad likes this.
  4. Aug 30, 2018 at 4:20 PM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    Yup- they do weigh a lot but I forgot about that part... I was a lot younger and in better shape back then working on fire crews. :) Also get extra shear pins for it if the ARB uses them like on the griphoist.

5. Sep 19, 2018 at 4:05 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
  6. Dec 27, 2018 at 11:01 PM
    Marc70

Marc70 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc70
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4.0L, 6MT
    2” lift, ARB front bumper, steel rear bumper, Trail Gear weld-on sliders, aFe cai, 2lo kit, air bag suspension, RA Motorsports AL skid plates
    I bought the More Power Puller 3t with 35' blue amsteel line, and I'm confident this thing will outlast me. I'll hand it down to one of my boys.
    It is so well made, pulled me a couple times so far, and I'm more than willing to push my luck knowing I can depend on it.

Products Discussed in

To Top