1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Positive Rear Spring TSB Experience by Coke

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Crom, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jan 20, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Toyota did something new to the 2009's which I believe they thought would mitigate the bottoming out issues. Obviously it does not. See my post here about that.

Anyways, I had the TSB completed on my 2009 4x4 OR DC in September 2009. My problem report was simple. I was bottoming out with my camping gear in the bed while driving on a gnarly back-country service roads. I knew something wasn't right and did some searching and found TacomaWorld and the rest of you good folks.

I read about the T-SB-0305-08.pdf for the rear springs, and it seemed like it would solve my problem.

Next I verified the parts numbers for my factory leaf packs were identical to replaced parts in the TSB. The part numbers are on the top of the springs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took pictures of the underside of the truck bed to show where the bump stops were hitting.

[​IMG]

It was very clear I was bottoming out because it was dusty as hell everywhere except where the bump stops make contact. Duh? this should be a no brainer. I printed the TSB and went to the stealership.

I explained that I was having a harsh ride and bottoming out in the rear while driving on back country roads with a load in the bed and that I found a possible solution and gave them the TSB number. The service adviser was like yeah, yeah, yeah, and gave it to his service tech.

I explained to the service tech that the part numbers on my Tacoma were the same as the ones referenced in the TSB, and I simply suggested that it may solve my problem. The dealer service tech gave me a bunch of lip about Toyota will never apply the TSB to my '09 because it was not officially covered. I simply smiled at him and walked away. [The 2010 and 2009's are now covered.]

To make a long story short, the approval for the TSB came not from the dealer but from a regional guy who works for Toyota and services the entire southern California region.

Here is a picture of the new leaf pack

[​IMG]

Well, I can say that the rear end is stiffer and that is exactly what I wanted! With no load in the back, and driving aggressively on pavement I will occasionally get what feels like wheel hop in the rear. e.g. accelerating through a steep depression, like just before climbing a very steep hill. But that is rare and I drive conservatively.

I bought the truck to access the many remote areas of the southwest while camping and climbing. After four months of wheeling I can say confidently that I feel that my truck is much better equipped to do that now.

However, based on how I use my truck I don't expect the TSB springs to last beyond three years, at which point I'll probably go with some custom springs.

PICS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Jan 20, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    AZCOMA

AZCOMA where can't I go?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kacey
    Laveen
    Vehicle:
    05 Preunner sr5
    2.5 saw co's, n-fab bed cage rear tire mount,new head unit and 10"sub,285/75/16 nittos on M/T wheels,H.I.D.'s...The next mod is T.C. long travle kit,Deavers and glass all the way around.
    awsome right up! They won't do anything for me my truck is too old. I am trying to get my after market warranty to help me. no luck thus far. oh and my leafs are junk they bottom out while driveing down the street and a full tank of gas.

3. Jan 20, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Azcoma, If you can afford it, go with some OME or Alcan springs. The aftermarket springs are far superior and and can be customized to your exact specifications.

4. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    Just got my 2010 2WD A/C, 4-banger back from the dealer. Got the 5K mile maintenance done and........the Harsh Ride TSB done.....

They went beyond the 2nd rev to the TSB, which called for replacing only the rear springs and not frame/body bumpers or any shocks....here's what I got:

1. Replaced 3-leaf springs with 4-leaf springs (48210-04570 and 04210)
    2. U-Bolt (90117-A0005) (X4)
    3. Spring Bumbers (48341-04080) (X2)
    4. Shock Set (48510-09U50) (X2)
    5. Shock Set (48530-09Q40) (X2)
    6. Complete 4 wheel alignment.

I had also mentioned the reduced air flow output when the heat selection was all the way up (high)....they didn't change the damper out as prescribed in the TSB, because I didn't mention the TSB....just complained about air-flow. Well they replaced the blower motor and blower sub-assembly. I will take the TSB for the Heat/HVAC with me for the 10K mile visit and see what they do.

Dealership is in Old Saybrook, CT....Lorensen Toyota. And......the loaner I got was a 2009 Taco A/C, 4.0 Automatic.

Guess what was on the floor? You got it! Tacoma all-weather floor mats...and they never moved the two days I drove it. I asked about getting some, but....told they couldn't sell them...........

5. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:33 PM
    Hollicewood

Hollicewood Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4X4
    I just had my 2010 done with no hassles. The only thing I did was email my dealer asking if the TSB covered the 2010's and if it was possible to get the springs replaced, a week later they were installed. They never saw the truck before the install, no part numbers, no nothing, they even gave me a loaner car.

6. Jan 20, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Wow, both of you also had great experiences. That is wonderful to hear. Congratulations. :cheers:

7. Jan 20, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Just got back from picking up my truck from the Local Toyota of Puyallup dealer. Went in the other day to have them look at the transmission shift issue and I also noted the ride. They came back in about an hour with the computer reprogrammed and informed me they had a TSB and had ordered replacement springs for the truck. On both issues I had the TSB in my pocket but chose to let them make the determination based on my complaints about shift and ride.
    Dropped it off yesterday and picked up a loaner. Service department called about noon today to let me know the work on the springs was complete and I could pick up the truck at my convenience. Even washed the truck for me.
    Wow, nice ride too. Definitely notice a difference in the ride. Handles the bumps much better and rides about an inch higher in the back with the canopy on.
    Just want to say thanks to my local Taco dealer for making the experience pleasant and minimal hassle. Ken:D

8. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    Twirlin

Twirlin Nature just gets the blow-by

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport Mag Grey
    also had a great experience with this TSB.........and any other TSB for that matter.

First I contacted my sales rep who is awesome, and he got me taken care of and talked to the right person in service and parts were ordered without seeing the truck. Got a call when the springs were in and got me in and out in about 3 hrs.......and gave me a loaner for the entire day (i lived an hour away from the dealer).

great work Jon Lancaster!

9. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    westport toyota

westport toyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    got mine then put in wheelers aal later after tsb started to sag. now perfect , about 1 " higher than tsb; ride ~chushy~:)

Products Discussed in

To Top