1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Positraction, Antenna, and Mud Flaps.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by seraphson, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jan 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    seraphson

seraphson [OP] Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Hi all,

Got a few questions. Have any of you setup a LSD on your Tacoma and if so what's the ballpark price (name/make of diff)? I currently have the plain jane open diff and I'd like to upgrade.

My antenna fell off awhile ago and my reception is pretty bad (though I don't recall it being great when it was there, your experience?) I did a lot of searching and couldn't quite find an exact replacement. I found all kinds of aftermarket ones on sites that say it's compatible but I'm skeptical. Do any of you have any OEM/Aftermarket links to some good antennas?

Also, same situation in regards to a mudflap. My front passenger side mudflap did the infamous ordeal of cracking along the fender flare (rubbing the paint off too) and so I'm in need for a replacement (It's snowy up here so now I can hear the sand/shit hitting my passenger side doors). Do you have any links to some compatible plain jane (no fancy metal/aluminum) mud flaps? Thanks.

2. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    seraphson

seraphson [OP] Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
  3. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-D3, SWI-PS, Sirius Satellite Radio, 2X In-Cab 110V Outlets, Constant Fog Light Mod, Inverter Always 400W Mod, Anti-Pack-Rat-In-Intake Mod, Eibachs on 5100's, 2" Toytec AAL, B.A.M.F Rear Diff Skid, 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires
    For a mechanical limited slip, I'd try looking through a salvage yard for a wrecked pre-'09 TRD Sport and take the axle off of that. For the price, though, I'd imagine you are most of the way to a full ARB locker.

I've had aftermarket antennas on other trucks and they have worked well. Just pull in front of your local Vatozone and buy one that claims to fit your truck. Go out in the parking lot and try it out. If it doesn't fit, take it back in and exchange it for one that does.

Mud Guards:
    Husky Liners

4. Feb 1, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    seraphson

seraphson [OP] Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Short and sweet. I actually have a buddy that works in a scrap yard. Worth a shot. Thanks!

5. Feb 1, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    GT4RC

GT4RC Got Boost?

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle:
    Silver '08 TRD Double Cab Tacoma (Stock)
    Are they are both the same gear ratio?

6. Feb 2, 2012 at 5:34 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-D3, SWI-PS, Sirius Satellite Radio, 2X In-Cab 110V Outlets, Constant Fog Light Mod, Inverter Always 400W Mod, Anti-Pack-Rat-In-Intake Mod, Eibachs on 5100's, 2" Toytec AAL, B.A.M.F Rear Diff Skid, 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires
    Should be the same gear ratio, but I don't have any numbers to post to verify this. Since he's a PreRunner it wouldn't be an issue if it changes anyway because he doesn't have to worry about matching the front differential.

7. Feb 2, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    Redhed

Redhed Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner BSP
    Polk Audio components, Rammat sound deadening & Ensolite, blacked out emblems, color matched grill, rhinolined rear bumper, shorty antenna, nerf bars, black Toyota trail edition rims, Sockmonkey vinyl, retrofit overhead temp/compass, JDM Altezza tailights, JDM Black Crystal headlights, Hella Black Magic driving lights, 20" dual row LED light bar.
    Do a search in group buy for Husky mudflaps. If they're still doing it (call them to check) they had a deal for a set shipped $30.00 I bought front and back $60.00 shipped, and i couldn't be happier with them. :)

8. Feb 2, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    jhodge83

jhodge83 Any dog under 50# is a cat and cats are useless... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC 4WD Sport
    wat?
    all prerunner and 4wd v6's are the same ratio of 3.73.

OP, are you sure that you dont have one in your prerunner already? some 05-08 non-TRDs had an LSD installed too. check the rear diff and see if there is an "LSD oil" sticker near the fill plug.

9. Feb 3, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    seraphson

seraphson [OP] Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Judging by the behavior I'm pretty sure it's an open diff. I'll double check for the sticker. If it is a LSD then the internals must have worn out because it doesn't take much for that one tire to spin out. Even going up a modest inclined corners I have to stay alert as the rear end will float and go into a fishtail.

EDIT: Since I'm here, when do your guys change your plugs and tranny fluid? I just passed 70k and haven't done either yet. I found elsewhere on the forum that the V6's should have plugs changed at 30k due to some "environment regulation thing". The last time I went to the dealership I asked about the tranny fluid and they said first change is at 100k. That seems pretty damn optimistic, especially coming from a dealership that usually tries to milk you for every penny.

10. Feb 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    jhodge83

jhodge83 Any dog under 50# is a cat and cats are useless... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC 4WD Sport
    wat?

plugs=30k
    tranny flush=100k