1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible Fix - Door Seal Noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Plain Jane Taco, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Jan 3, 2016 at 4:15 PM
    TommyG

TommyG Around

Member:
    First Name:
    Grouch
    MELTING POT
    Vehicle:
    21 MAX
    No mods
  2. Jan 4, 2016 at 8:53 AM
    Houston

Houston Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DCSB TRD Off-Road

I'm not sure how thick your rubber pads are but I tried putting some 3/16" weatherstripping in a few places originally, it actually made it much worse for me. I think it broke the seal and created gaps between the end of the added weatherstripping and the normal door rubber weatherstripping and it made all kinds of noise. Not sure what you're using but just a word of caution if they pretty thick. Good thinking on the paper approach, hope you get yours figured out!

3. Jan 4, 2016 at 9:57 AM
    Revelations

Revelations Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB
    What's funny is that when I hear the seal squeak, it's not coming from the outer seal. Mine is coming from the seal between my door frame and window.

4. Jan 4, 2016 at 6:11 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Fixed! Not sure if it was in this thread or not, but my first attempt at a fix was reflector tape. Didn't work. Now I put rubber stickers on it and the sound has stopped! Woohoo!

image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Biscuits and Houston like this.
  5. Jan 7, 2016 at 8:47 PM
    Jacob001

Jacob001 New Member

Member:
    brought my 2015 tacoma limited double cab into the dealer ship for this problem and they didnt do crap. They took it out, and drove it around and said they heard nothing and just said they heard the roof racks. They made more of a mess by getting grease/oil on my leather seats. I am going to try putting tape on the door and see if that fixes it. Should i go with 3m paint protecter film or hockey tape?

6. Jan 7, 2016 at 9:24 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Let me know if you try the 3m. I bought the 3m door edge protector kit for 6 bucks with the intention of using it to put on the top of my door for this squeak issue. I think it's like a 36" X 1.5"
    Strip.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00650NY6G

7. Jan 8, 2016 at 12:37 AM
    Backt

Backt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCSB Off Road Pryrite Mica
    Are those spots textured, do you have a link for them?

8. Jan 8, 2016 at 10:47 AM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    No link. Yeah slightly textured. They come in about 1/4", 1/2", or 3/4" at the hardware store. They're like to put on the bottom of a bowl or vase or something, so it doesn't scratch the fancy dining room table underneath (for example). I'm sure you can find them just about anywhere. Near the 3m self adhesive hooks maybe.

9. Jan 10, 2016 at 10:38 AM
    TacoEngineer23

TacoEngineer23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma Sport DCB 6MT
    Glad to know that I'm not going crazy. I will try this soon. Thanks for the good write up!

10. Jan 21, 2016 at 6:47 PM
    KingTaco81

KingTaco81 The guy, behind the guy, behind the guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jr
    Bell & El Monte, CA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR
    Bunch of stuff
    Great write up Op. My door seal noise is gone!! Hated the squeaking, was driving me bananas.

11. Feb 8, 2016 at 10:30 PM
    Dustflap

Dustflap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Which 1/4" O.D. tubing is the best for use in the door weather stripping, the flexible vinyl or the stiffer polyethylene?

12. Feb 8, 2016 at 10:41 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    I'm not sure- but it seems to me that the polyethylene might kink on the corners.

13. Feb 12, 2016 at 10:26 PM
    Dustflap

Dustflap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Polyethylene is stiff, however that is what most irrigation drip line is made of. I see it is referred to in some threads. The aquarium tubing seems to be flexible vinyl.

NMTrailRider likes this.
  14. Mar 22, 2016 at 1:56 PM
    Houston

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Hey guys, got a quick update. Dropped off the truck for schedule maintenance this morning and somehow got the dealer to agree to replace the weatherstripping on the door under the warranty. They said it'll be a couple days to order the new one but hopefully I'll have an update next week on if it helps the problem or if it's something else that's causing the noise. I'm cautiously optimistic right now but we'll see. I'll post an update afterwards.

As for my last update, definitely helped take care of about 80% of the problem I was having. I would still hear the noise occasionally but wasn't nearly as bad as what it was originally. Still would recommend to anyone having that noise. If mine is still there after I get the new weatherstripping, I'll be putting some tape on there as soon as I get home.

15. Apr 5, 2016 at 10:29 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    I've done the tubing in both front doors and it has done absolutely nothing. My Driver's Door and Passenger Door are constantly crackling and talking to each other.

NMTrailRider[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Apr 6, 2016 at 2:09 PM
    Houston

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Got mine replaced last Thursday at the dealer (finally!) and after a week of driving to make sure it wasn't a fluke, it's definitely gone. It's much better than my DIY fix before. If you guys can get your dealer to replace it, I definitely would. Mine did it under warranty but only after some pushing to even get them to look at it. If you can't or don't want to, I would recommend the tape. It's easy to try, worked with pretty good results for me, and is easily removable if you don't like it or it doesn't work.

17. Jul 25, 2016 at 5:17 AM
    Emmohl

Emmohl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5
    I've had a rattle in front passenger window since the truck had about 700 miles. I had my passenger window gasket replaced not long after and it didn't fix noise. I put some 3m tape on and that helped cut down on the noise. Worked good for about 10 months or so. Last few weeks noise starting coming back. Took to dealership again. They removed door panel and tightened everything in there. The noise at the moment is gone. I've only driven for two days but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. That sh#t was driving me nuts!! Also got my leaf springs replaced. No more squeak there either!!

18. Jul 26, 2016 at 4:12 AM
    Houston

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Glad you got it fixed! I actually just developed a pretty decent squeak under the bed of my truck two weeks ago. I figured it was probably to leaf's but haven't gotten around to investigating it thoroughly yet. Somehow have to get the wife to stand in the bed while I'm under it and have her jump up and down a few times lol. Did your dealer just replace them for you when you told them you had a squeak, or was there another reason why they did it and it just helped the noise?

19. Jul 26, 2016 at 4:15 AM
    Yamaha_TacoR1

Yamaha_TacoR1 Very slow racer

Member:
    NJ/NY, USA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black TRD Sport 4x4 Limo
    - 5100/885's, 5100/Icon 3leaf progressive AAL with overload left in, 1/4" Taco lean spacer - ARE Z Series camper shell with Yakima rack system - Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent - Prinsu Design Cabrac with heavy duty anadized bars - WeatherTech window deflectors/floor liners/bug deflector - Ultragauge MX1.3 - PopnLock codable locking tailgate handle - TRD shift knob - 3M tint - Extang solid fold2.0 tonneu cover - OEM Tacoma muffler tip - OEM Tacoma side steps - OEM Tacoma bed mat - OEM Tacoma roof rack - OEM TRD PRO front grille in matte black - OEM TRD PRO headlights - Fastway FLASH "Solid-Tow" adjustable aluminum ball mount hitch - Reese dual hitch ball covers - Masterlock locking J pin - GoPro windshield mount - Door trim protectors - Side mirror 'fish eyes' - Thule T2 hitch mount 2 bike carrier - LEDs: Map/Dome, 3rd brake, license plate, parking lights, reverse CREE's - SEMA TRD PRO 17" black matte wheels - 265/70/17 BFG A/T KO2s - Black Widow 40" x 95" 3 piece powder-coated folding bed ramp - Mobtown Offroad ribbed tailgate reinforcement skin - GRIDiT center console organizer - Salex center console organizer - Marco Extreme Blast black premium train air horn - 'ImmrYo' Rearview mirror relocate bracket - Mattgecko's Sliding window security bar - Rigid tow rear hitch shackle - Plasti-dipped gunmetal emblems - Blacked out ACEkraut's front license plate relocate bracket - De-flapped (OEM mud flaps gone) - Uniden XL520 CB Radio - Shmellmopwho's CB antenna bed mount - 3ft Firestik II CB antenna - BirdDawg Industries Tech Deck Extreme version w/ 3 Ram 1" ball mounts - Ram Mounts: iPhone6/iPad Mini4 X Grips with 1" dual ball sockets - Garmin GLO portable GPS & GLONASS receiver - Depo LED tail lights with blacked-out inner housing - Various Velcro backed patches on the headliner - 3D-Cell LED Maglite mounted to the driver seat - 4XInnovation DOM weld on sliders with kickouts (welded at 20degree angle) - 4XInnovation Hi Lift bed mounting system - Hi Lift All cast 60" jack with optional handle holder - Lotus Development Hi Lift slider adapter - Relentless Fabrifacfions dual bed rail mounts with dual Quick Fists - Salex glovebox organizer system - YETI vintage bottle opener mounted to the bed - TRD Sport style aftermarket epoxy resin decals for WT front mats - Rigid Industries LED D2 spot lights (Midnight edition) - CBI spot light hood mounts - Air on Board "Zombie Lights" switch - Rebadged WeatherTech floor liners with custom TRD Sport emblems - GoPro Hero 3+ windshield mounted - Mattgecko's cool white LED bedlight kit v2 - 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers - Maxsa Escaper Buddy traction boards (mounted on top of Prinsu Cabrac) - 42" Plano Weatherproof gun case (mounted on top of Prinsu Cabrac) - 2gal Rotopax gasoline can, mounting plate, DLX pack mount (mounted on top of Prinsu Cabrac) - Bestek 150W power inverter DC 12V to 110 V - DBPower 600A car jump starter/booster - SOS Off-road Concepts Factory recovery replacement mount - ARB 30' Recovery strap - ARB EZDeflator - Smittybilt receiver hitch D ring with 3/3" shackle - Bosch Icon wiper blades - RCI IFS steel skid plate - Trasharoo trash bag - mounted on tailgate - Lamin X yellow fog lamp covers - Aftermarket illuminated air conditioning/heater/vent knobs - Toyota full frame replacement - Spring 2023 ================================ Future mods: - Rear diff breather relocate - Foglights anytime - Install external speaker for CB - Install mattgecko bedlight kit
    Subbed for later

20. Jul 26, 2016 at 5:12 AM
    Emmohl

Emmohl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5
    The springs would squeak when I got out of my truck. Never really noticed any sound while driving. I bounced in my bed and would shake it to see if it would squeak. Didn't hear anything except when I would exit truck. Took truck in and told dealer the springs were squeaking. Called me couple hours later saying that they'd be replacing them. Parts took about 4 days to come in. Squeak is gone now!! Although the window noise is slowly returning and it's only been 3 days. That noise drove me crazier then the springs. :frusty:

To Top