1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible future taco owner with some ??s

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by silverstar, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Feb 26, 2011 at 2:47 AM
    silverstar

silverstar [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Hi everyone. Right now I have an 08 Nissan titan 4x4 on 35's and between the payment and MPG's (I have a 60 mile a day commute) it is killing me due to having lower funds than I had when I bought it and had the 35's put on. Anyways I'm tossing around the idea of trading it on a used 4cyl 5sp. 4x4 taco (want an access cab) to cut payment size and get better mpgs. I really like the 2nd gens being bigger and roomier but LOVE the first gens having a real transfer case shifter vs. the electric knob. How much less, if any, mpgs do the 2nd gens get due to being bigger, heavier than the 1st gens? I see a lot of people on here are still getting mid 20's hwy in 4wd 2nd gens which would be a HUGE improvement over my titan. Also, on the 4wd tacos without the factory locker, do they at least have a LSD or is it just an open diff in the rear? I would really miss the insane power of my titan but honesly other than just playing around I don't ever use it. I don't tow anything and I rarely even use the bed much anymore so I really think it's time to downsize. Will a 4cyl 5sp. 4wd taco get around fine in the hills/mountains of NE PA? Also I would definitely step up to the 265/75's because I do like to offroad. Would it run ok with stock gearing and 32's offroad? I like to go to rausch creek and wheel and theirs some pretty steep hills there and decent rocks. I'd love to be able to get a 4.0 but that would defeat the entire point of going cheaper and much better mpgs. Any extra info would be great. Thank you.

2. Feb 26, 2011 at 2:56 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    2.7 ltr is fine. I have a 2011 sr5 4x4 5 speed with a few important mods for off roading and performance. click on my profile and you can see what I have. If I keep my speed at 75mph or under I get 21-20 mpg's. The lsd on the 2.7's in my opinion is not the greatest so I intalled a Detroit TruTrac, huge difference (about $450-475). My tires are 245-75-16's right now although I will be going with 265-75-16's soon. Ill probably loose 1mpg when I do this.

3. Feb 26, 2011 at 3:10 AM
    daggertats

daggertats Well-Known Member

Member:
    arden nc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    undercover tonneau ,bug deflector, removal of all tacoma emblems added a set of component speakers behind the rear seat egr in channel window visors
    im in western nc which is quite hilly and my truck does just fine. it is only a little sluggish on the steepest of hills. when i test drove it i went to where i usually mtn bike ride. it was close to where the dealer was and i knew it would be a good test for drivin on hilly roads. it was fine just as good as the 3.0 6 cyl in my mazda

4. Feb 26, 2011 at 3:29 AM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    I traded in my 06' titan for my 2010 2.7 4banger tacoma. I have no regrets, more capable off roading than the titan IMO. I do miss the power but this truck has surprised me everytime i go trail riding. i got a 4x4 w/no locker but this little truck is amazing on the trails i have been on. I don't think you should have problem with the tacoma they have LSD. I am lifted and currently have 265's on right now and alaska has some steep grades and this does surprisingly well. I am actually putting on 285's in the next few weeks. BTW welcome!!!!!!

5. Feb 26, 2011 at 4:31 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Welcome to TW from Bucks County! Been through Bloomsburg on rt 80 a bunch of times on the way to Lockhaven to go quad riding. Even stopped at the Home Depot there...:rolleyes:

BUY THE TACO!!!

You will not regret it.

6. Feb 26, 2011 at 4:56 AM
    silverstar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Wow, thanks for the warm welcomes and fast replies! Short of titantalk this is probably the friendliest and fastest responding forum I've ever been on before! I really think if I end up having to go this route I'm definitely gonna try and stick with a 2nd gen because I just like them so much more and as long as the 2.7 has enough power to get one around pretty good with bigger tires and still get pretty good mpgs it makes them even all the better. I just really wish toyota would hav estuck with the true t-case shifter like in the gen 1s, I love that and it's so much more reliable. I REALLY hate to possibly have to get rid of my titan because I love it and it'sbeen really good to me and I have a bunch of money into it but the big truck payment and gas mileage (roughly $100 a WEEK in gas!!) is killing my wife and I. If I got a taco for high teens that got over 20mpg I could save probably $3-400 a month! Not too mention my cooper stt's don't have a lot of like left in them and with these 18" wheels (smallest you can fit with the 08+ 14" front rotors) even a set of 33" A/Ts run mid-high $200 each! I saw a slew of 265/75/16's for well under $200 a tire plus they'd last a lot longer on a much lighter truck too.
    I rode at RC with a titan with the trutrac and it was awesome to say the least! They are really nice LSD's because they are really smooth (no clicking and clacking) and you don't have to add the LS additive to the rear and they're really strong. I'm sure a stock (even stock tired) taco could outwheel my titan because even with 35" cooper STT's it's really not that impressive because of the crappy open diffs at both ends. Not to mention with my wheelbase (and I'm only an extended cab) I drug my belly A LOT at RC! Thanks again for all the help and info. If I end up going this route it'll probably be a couple months away but I'll definitely keep ya'll updated.

Oh and here's one I found that I absolutely LOVE (color and all) for a really good price for the year and miles. Too bad I wans't looking to do this right now.
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=294729117&dealer_id=69551&car_year=2006&doors=&systime=&filter_change=no_results_inc_srch_area_up&model=TACOMA&search_lang=en&start_year=1998&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=75&min_price=1&drive=4+wheel+drive&rdm=1298725214783&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2012&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=4+Cylinder&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=Manual&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=75000&address=17859&color=&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=18000&awsp=false&make=TOYOTA&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=74&standard=false

7. Feb 26, 2011 at 5:07 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    BTW--- if your really hung up on having a manual transfer case, it is possible to switch to the FJ Cruser T-Case...
    Seen a few that have done it.

You'll be happy with the 4 banger & there are a few other mods to get even better mpg.:cool:

8. Feb 26, 2011 at 6:07 AM
    silverstar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Nah I'm not THAT upset over it to go through that kind of expense and fab work. LOL. Thanks for the tip though. It just feels so much more rugged and "truck-like" to me and I would prefer it. Plus there's nothing really to fail either, not that the electronic ones are really fail prone (at least I don't think they are on the tacos are they??) with all advances they've made over the years in electronics.

Yeah I've been reading on here about some of the headers and airbox/drop in filter mods that help too. I'd LOVE tobe able to get a consistent mid 20's out of a 4wd truck! These 2.7's have enough power to hold 5th on the highway on hills don't they? I just don't want to be constanly having to downshift on the highway, I'd rather just put it on cruise at around 65-70mph and go. I think I may go find a yota stealership and take one for a test drive just so I can get a "real world" feel for one. Kinda like "a test drive is worth a million words" LOL

9. Feb 26, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    jking3002

jking3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    It depends upon what size hills you're talking. I found myself down shifting a lot to maintain speed on the WV turnpike. :cool: I have no problem with having to downshift on smaller hills around Louisville, KY or Southern IN. :D

Downshifting is just a part of owning a manual though. I don't know many vehicles you wouldn't want to downshift while trying to maintain speed on large hills.

My experience is without cruise, but there have been times in WV where I have had the pedal down to the floor in 5th and speed still couldn't be maintained, so I would assume you would have the same issue while in cruise.

Sorry to give you some bad news :cool:

10. Feb 26, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    silverstar

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bloomsburg, PA
    The area I'm in isn't super hilly but if Ihead towards wb-scranton or williamsport there's some pretty decent ones that even my titan will kick down out of 5th if there's even a slight headwind or if I'm going around 75+mph which is pretty rare these days because I found it goes from around 13mpg at anything over 70 to low 15's if I keep it at around 65-67mph. Huge difference for just a few mph. I think it might have something to do with running 78lb a piece 325/65/18 mud terrains. LOL

I guess if I go this route to save money I'll just have to learn to deal with downshifts on the highway.

11. Feb 26, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    My reg cab 4wd gets 25-26 mpg at 65 mph (oregon speed limit)and 21-23mpg in the winter with winter blend fuel. I have an open diff,never get stuck but I'm thinking of adding an lsd.
    My previous truck was a diesel silverado weighing 7000lb and got 22 on the freeway 16 in town. Both trucks have 245/75 r16 oddly enough. The raw power of the diesel was great, but I feel the 4 cylinder delivers enough power, a simple downshift to 4th and no grade slows it down.
    I traded due to a few recalls, a few things that needed a recall and didnt , plugged fuel filters due to biodidiesel B10 and me riding a bike to work leaving a tank lasting 5 weeks. The other thing that made me trade was some TSA problem(Terrorize Some Americans , not transportation security agency imo) , and some surgeries making me decide to cut expenses.

No regrets whatsoever getting the Tacoma ,once I got it i liked it more n more. Welcome to TW!

12. Feb 26, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    chaz834

chaz834 Tacoma 4 Life.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Kendrick, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport MGM
    3'' Tuff Counrty Lift, Moromoto Mini H1 Projectors 5000K 35W, BHLM, 30'' LED Light Bar, Black TOYOTA Emblem, Excelon Touch Screen Deck, Hertz Speakers,Excelon AMP, 2 10'' JL Audio Subs, Wet Okle seat covers, Weather Tech Floor Mats.
    Welcome to TW!

Products Discussed in

To Top