1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible Ignition Switch Issue?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SmokeyDP, May 31, 2012.

1. May 31, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    SmokeyDP

SmokeyDP [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Somerville, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma
    Had my new Sony head unit in my 97 Tacoma for a year without issues. When I put it in the 2003 (moved over the whole harness) I started to have a power issue. When I turn the ignition on, the radio comes back on to where it left off. As soon as I turn the key to start the truck the radio looks like it goes on and off, then I have to hit the power button to turn it on once the truck starts. This happens most of the time, but sometimes, the radio remains on like its supposed to.

I recently just bought another Sony radio and its doing the same exact thing.

I know that the 12V and 12V switched are hooked up correctly and working. When I turn off the truck the radio turns off, and beeps 3 times as it is supposed to to remind you to remove the face. The time is always correct too and the presets are fine.

I'm thinking when I'm staring the truck its loosing the 12V constant on, but not long enough to loose any presets or anything. Only enough to shut the radio to off.

Is it possible to replace the ignition switch without having to get it re-keyed?

2. Jun 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM
    SmokeyDP

Member:
    Somerville, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma
    No comments on replacing the ignition switch without replacing the key tumbler?

3. Jun 3, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    koco

koco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    Around $26,000 worth of unleaded in the fuel tank.
    I think the electrical part of the ignition switch is separate from the lock cylinder.

You should test the switch with a voltmeter before replacing it. It could be sprayed out with contact cleaner if its dirty inside.

4. Jun 3, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    SmokeyDP

Member:
    Somerville, NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma
    Ive seen the DIY's to remove the lock cylinder. Is the switch on the back of it?

Anyone got a part number for just the switch?

5. Jun 3, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I'm pretty sure the electrical switch simply unscrews from under the steering column cover. The lock cylinder is really just locking the steering so you can't drive it. Easy enough to do the thing you see in the movies and cut and splice wires to start it.

I don't have part numbers, but when I worked autoparts we always had the switch listed seperately. Not sure if a Tacoma would be dealer only on that part or not.

6. Jun 3, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    koco

koco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    Around $26,000 worth of unleaded in the fuel tank.
    I think the switch is right on the back of the lock cylinder.

Products Discussed in

To Top