1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible LCA issues with Spindle lift?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by wilikilia, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Sep 15, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    wilikilia

wilikilia [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2009 PreRunner TRD Sports Debadged
    Tint, TRD Cold Air Intake, WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors, Retrax Retractable Tonneau Cover, Flowmasters SingleIn-DualOut 50 Delta Series w/ Black Chrome Tips, Smittybilt Sure Steps, Camburg 4" Lift Spindles, Camburg 2.5" Coilovers, Bilsten 5100s Rear, 17" Predators, Pro Comp 33"
    So I've almost reached a year after lifting my truck and noticed some clunking type of sounds when I turn at certain points. It doesn't happen all the time but I'd say it's to the point where I'm getting worried. I just did some oil and lube service this week and the tech had me sit in the car while it's on and turn the wheels left and right to pinpoint where the sound was coming from. He lied under the car and checked it out and did mention that my LCAs move awkwardly left & right when turning which was not normal(the whole thing shifts). He suggested that I beef up the LCAs and maybe the UCAs as well.

Regarding my truck info and lift setup...I have a 2009 Toyota Tacoma DBL cab, Camburg Performance Spindles, Camburg Coilovers(set at 1"), Bilstein 5150s all around. From other posts I read, I thought the Spindle lift supposed to work well with the stock LCAs and UCAs and relieve stress on them. Alignment is not an issue with my truck as it was able to align perfect(the ride feels like factory ride) so my guess is the UCAs are alright.

The question I have is if LCAs normally go bad due to any lift? The tech mentioned that the bushings may be getting work on my LCAs. Since I pretty much went with Camburg all the way...I called Camburg to see if they could sell me LCAs and UCAs. The Camburg rep said the UCAs is mainly for alignment correction and that they only sell the LCAs with the Long Travel Kit. The Camburg rep also mentioned that the Spindle lift shouldn't interfere with the LCAs and that I should take the truck in to Toyota to have it serviced/checked out. My guess though is that Toyota won't touch my truck because my warranty should be void for my suspension. Any ideas? Do you guys usually buy aftermarket LCA replacements? I usually only read about people replacing their coilovers, UCAs, etc. Or did anyone have this type of issue?

2. Sep 15, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Make sure the bolts on the LCA are torqued correctly. I had a clunk sound as you describe when turning into my driveway and tightening the bolts helped. Perhaps when the shop did your last alignment, they didn't tighten those LCA bolts completely.

3. Sep 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '05 4runner SR5 v8
    ^ x2 on the torque. i had a popping noise as well, got a new nyloc nut and used red locktite on it and torqued the bolts down again to 120 ft/lbs and noise went away!

4. Sep 15, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    wilikilia

wilikilia [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2009 PreRunner TRD Sports Debadged
    Tint, TRD Cold Air Intake, WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors, Retrax Retractable Tonneau Cover, Flowmasters SingleIn-DualOut 50 Delta Series w/ Black Chrome Tips, Smittybilt Sure Steps, Camburg 4" Lift Spindles, Camburg 2.5" Coilovers, Bilsten 5100s Rear, 17" Predators, Pro Comp 33"
    Sounds like a plan....I'm dropping by my friends house tomorrow to check on the LCA bolts and torque them if necessary. Thanks!

To Top