1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible Solution to BSM and Aftermarket Bumpers

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by JDR07, Mar 17, 2017.

1. May 18, 2017 at 10:31 AM
    bilplat

bilplat Simply Driving Into Mordor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 White A/T 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    ARE Hard Top
    I haven't been able to find a picture of the BSM lowering brackets, but in another thread RCI said they were working on them:

2. May 19, 2017 at 1:25 AM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade DCLB
    Here's a middle-of-the-night idea I just had...

In the above photo we can see the entire BSM unit, but we can also see what appears to be two individual sensors on that unit (one at an angle, one straight back).

What if I take the entire unit apart, extend the wiring for both of those sensors, and then mount just the sensors into the bumper, while securing the main unit elsewhere? Those two sensors can be mounted into any steel bumper with relative ease, without affecting the bumper's overall design and without adding a massive, ugly cut-out for the entire unit. From the sounds of it it's just a matter of setting those sensors up at the correct angles. So, drill some holes at the right angles, insert the sensors so that they almost protrude from the bumper, cover them with thin, round pieces of plastic to protect them from the elements, and you should have working BSM in a steel bumper.

airborndad likes this.
  3. May 19, 2017 at 6:07 AM
    bilplat

bilplat Simply Driving Into Mordor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 White A/T 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    ARE Hard Top
    I think those two round sensors you're talking about are the backup sonar sensors. It seems to me like most fab shops don't have a problem positioning and mounting those sensors (four in total). The problem lies in mounting the big rectangular sensor so that its in the same position/angle as stock, its got nothing in front of it (besides plastic), and it doesn't interfere too much with the structure of the bumper.

hyphur likes this.
  4. May 27, 2017 at 2:59 PM
    C4 Fabrication

C4 Fabrication Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB Sport
    2" lift, 285/70/17 BFG TA KO2's, baja bumper, bedrack with swing out, CVT RTT, Leather interior, heated seats, JBL, remote start, K&N intake, Hood Scoop LED lightbar mod.
    It looks to me like the BSM would not be functional in that bumper. If the large rectangle shaped sensor is blocked at all by anything other than plastic, it will not function properly. In those photos it looks like the tubing is blocking a portion of the sensor.
    That idea sounds like it could work. The only issue is now your BSM sensors are on the outside of the bumper or hanging below where they could easily get smashed by any obstacles while off roading.
    Yes those round sensors are the park/back-up sensors. They can basically be mounted anywhere on the rear of the bumper and they still function normally as long as they are not blocked by any materials.

5. Jun 2, 2017 at 12:12 PM
    amontances

amontances Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma OR
    TRD Pipes | 18" Fuel Assault | Roof Rack | Tint | Steps | Husky Floor Liners | Bed Liner | LED Interior Lights | Swing Arm Bed Storage |
    so has anyone out there figured out a solution for the BSM to work on these aftermarket bumpers? i wanted the CBI T3 Dual swing, but they can't support it due to the metal being too thick. then obviously C4 doesn't either as well as many other; as i'm coming to discover.

why can't @C4 Fabrication or @CBI Offroad Fab fabricate a BSM mounting bracket like @Off Camber Fab and laser cut holes to accommodate the sensing field?

6. Jun 2, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    Isn't that what @C4 Fabrication is already doing?

7. Jun 2, 2017 at 12:43 PM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    I don't see how Off Chamber Fab's bumper is BSM compatible. It looks like it works with the backup sensors but not BSM.

bilplat likes this.
  8. Jun 2, 2017 at 1:46 PM
    BloodyTesla

BloodyTesla Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR
    C4 does support BSM. In fact, I would have bought it already if the license plate wasn't slanted. http://www.c4fabrication.com/produc...erland-series-rear-bumper-system-bsm-support/

I don't know of anybody who uses brackets other than RCI, but they removed their rear bumper from the website in the last week or so for some reason.

9. Jun 2, 2017 at 4:16 PM
    amontances

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma OR
    TRD Pipes | 18" Fuel Assault | Roof Rack | Tint | Steps | Husky Floor Liners | Bed Liner | LED Interior Lights | Swing Arm Bed Storage |
    Their two bumper without the tire relocation does not support BSM. I really don't like the C4 because I want dual swing arm, tire off to the right, two tables on both swing arms.

10. Jun 2, 2017 at 4:21 PM
    amontances

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma OR
    Oh shoot... I didn't see that!!!! Now I wish @CBI Offroad Fab got on board with BSM support with their T3 dual swing arm.

I hope @C4 Fabrication can make two swing arm vice one long one. If so, C4 just got my business!!

gman36 likes this.
  11. Jun 2, 2017 at 6:47 PM
    jowybyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    Isn't this what I said?

12. Jun 2, 2017 at 7:56 PM
    Pax11B

Pax11B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma TRD OR AC
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/pax11b-quicksand-build.491885/
    Hey @C4 Fabrication, it says the bumper weighs 100lbs. Is that with all options added? I've been wanting to buy a high clearance bumper because my spare doesn't fit underneath. But I wanted to wait for an aluminum bumper to save on weight. But if it's only 100lbs, I think my Dakars can handle that without throwing my rake out of whack haha. Also, the swing out tire carrier, if I don't select the jerry can holders or the table, is it still a rectangular shape like in the pics?
    Where does the HiLift mount? And how off center would the spare be?

13. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:11 PM
    amontances

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma OR
    yea... i've been looking at all sorts of vendors all day to see who has the BSM option for their rear bumper. i mistook C4 for Fab Four.

14. Jun 7, 2017 at 7:56 AM
    C4 Fabrication

C4 Fabrication Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB Sport
    2" lift, 285/70/17 BFG TA KO2's, baja bumper, bedrack with swing out, CVT RTT, Leather interior, heated seats, JBL, remote start, K&N intake, Hood Scoop LED lightbar mod.
    We do not plan to ever offer a dual swing on that bumper. The way the bumper is designed will not allow for swing arm latches to be mounted at the center of the bumper.

I believe I responded to your questions via email. Just making sure you are the same guy that emailed with these questions.

15. Jun 8, 2017 at 9:22 PM
    erok81

erok81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Imposter
    So one last check...

No one but C4 offers a swing out for 2016 with BSM right? I like the C4 version, just figured I'd see just in case.

I wish someone like All Pro made a tube style so it would match my current front bumper.

16. Jun 9, 2017 at 4:59 AM
    amontances

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma OR

Yes, you did and thank you for the response.

17. Jun 9, 2017 at 5:04 AM
    amontances

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma OR
    I've pretty much called and emailed pretty much all the big names and even the small ones and no one seems to support the tech package w/ BSM. C4 is the only one closes to that actually ventured into BSM support, but it's not what I wanted; overland, high clearance, dual swing arm, tables on both arms, tire relocation to the right, dual jerry can, rear camera relocation, laser cut rear parking sonar.

18. Jun 9, 2017 at 11:55 AM
    JDR07

JDR07 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR
    Duct Tape
    Someone just needs to tell Toyota to relocate their bsm sensors when they release its 2019 diesel tacoma lol

bigmw likes this.
  19. Jun 12, 2017 at 4:11 PM
    slpeod

slpeod Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Madison, AL
    Vehicle:
    17 OR DCSB Black
    Fellas thought I would share - two replies in one day from manufacturers. After being rear-ended my search for a BSM & park sensor compatible aftermarket bumper hasn't went so good. I'm just not a fan of the C4 so looks like I will probably be giving Off Camber Fabrication a try. I uploaded the installation file, there's a note on page 3 that says: The sensors have changed from their original location and they may not be triggered in exactly the same circumstances as before. Take time to learn and adjust to the new operating ranges.

"Hello Shane,
    Our 183100 bumper will work with the BSM and parking assist sensors. Please see the attachment for fitment and installation instructions. Thank you for your inquiry.

Candice Lawson | Customer Service
    Off Camber Fabrication"

"Hey Shane,
    We appreciate your interest in our products! Unfortunately, we have done all of the testing that we could to try to incorporate the BSM into our bumpers and nothing has worked so we will not be working further on it.
    I am sorry! If you have any other questions please let me know!

Thank you,
    Lani Cauthen
    Customer Service
    Fab Fours, Inc."

Attached Files:

20. Jun 12, 2017 at 4:37 PM
    Marbleyard

Marbleyard Thread killer

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner Pro
    SOLD 2016 taco: premium technology and tow package. OV Tune 1.05; A.R.E. V Camper Shell; BRO grille & Tails; OEM bed mat; Xenon Depot HID headlight conversion; reflective gray tailgate letter inserts; GoPro session; Hondo radio knobs; K&N cold air intake, quicksand painted dash bezels, Subaru dash speakers, Kicker CS 6x9 fronts and 6.5 rear speakers; All LED interior lights and LED high-beam headlights. Redline elite hood shock props. prinsu cab and camper rack with rough country 30" light bar; (2) 8" rear facing “F.U.”rough country black LED lights; prinsu cargo basket kit, (2) prinsu load racks; roadshower 4; ARB 2500 awning and room kit; weather tech floor mats; carhart seat covers; ckma12 ARB air compressor under the hood; blue ridge overland gear air tools bag, tool bag, driver's seat molle. Rack mounted TRED 800 recovery treds and plano case. Rotopax water and fuelpax fuel canisters; Pelican cased first aid kit in bed. rockblokz mud flaps. ARB rear dif. breather. Stand alone fuse block. SSO bumper with 10k smittybilt synthetic line winch and factor55 ultrahook. Pro Eagle 2-Ton “The Beast” jack. OME lift kit: 90000 front shocks and 886 OME coils, Camburg 310078 UCA, 60091 rear shocks with light duty Dakar leafs. Good Year duratracs 285/75R16. Black vinyl inlays on factory OR wheels; RCI Steel Front/Trans/Trans Case/Rear Diff Skids, Alum A-Arm; Mobtown bolt-on sliders with scorpion bed coating; pelfreybilt aluminum fuel tank skid; Cali-Raised full length Molle storage LH & RH bed sides; Caliraised bedside reinforcements; HELLA sharptone horns; Optima blue-top battery with AJT machined red tiedown bracket. AJT quicksand key fob. Overland Bound member #6996

Products Discussed in

To Top