1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible strike!

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by rb11701, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I'm not an expert, and could be wrong, but this was true to a certain extent.
    I know that Toyota is not union but the plant or the former plant in northern California was partially union, due the the fact that some of the workers also worked on GM cars and also Toyota cars.
    But last time I checked, the plant had to shut down, so now none of the Tacomas are union built.
    So if you did get a truck from that plant, you could say it was half union built? Or full? Not sure.

So if that plant is closed, none of the Tacomas are built by UAW now.

EDIT:Whoops sorry, didn't see that you guys were already talking about it up above.

2. Mar 3, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.

What does pro-union have to do with buying a non-union vehicle or anything else for that matter. Union members aren't different from non-union members in that they want whats best for their family and themselves. They don't go out and buy everything because it's union made. I believe most are intelligent enough to make good conscious decisions regarding their purchases whether they be vehicles, or groceries for that matter.
    They are willing to sacrifice, or strike when the need absolutely arises. If you chose to work in a non-union job, that's your right. If you feel you have ever been slighted by your company and that your services are more valuable than the wage you currently make, then make a change. Don't go whining because someone else didn't chose that path.

Being the "3rd highest ranked member of this site doesn't put bread on the table. Just means you have been around long enough that some of what you have said has been of value. Other than that, it doesn't hold a whole lot of weight. I'm sorry if you feel it does.

3. Mar 3, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Unfortunately, I think were all hypersensitive to issues close to us. This includes myself.

4. Mar 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    :rofl:

5. Mar 3, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    X2

6. Mar 3, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    As always, your support is most welcome here. I feel there are haters in all walks of life. Shit guys, people hate us because we tool around in Taco's. Hating on each other is pointless. We all have our responsiblities. We all walk different paths. This is what makes us unique. Posting here in TW is like chatting with friends. People make others feel welcome here. My point of this thread was not a cry for sympathy or complaining about my life. I talk about these things out of respect for the community and that for which we have for each other.

Is a union person anymore different than a non-union? Don't we all provide for our families? Don't we all pay bills?

Whether union or non-union, we all started at the bottom with nothing. Whether it was your first day on the job or the first day in a classroom. We were given an oppurtunity and some made the most of it, some did not.

Wow, I feel like hugging someone now! :eek:

7. Mar 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    That is funny B is B, I have no connection to any of the players in this thread and still I find you to be the one spewing hate IMO.

8. Mar 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers

Nice thread steer.....:cool:

hah, post #666.....you know what means...

I gotta go listen to some Iron Maiden!

9. Mar 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    James08

James08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD PRO
    I'm going to have to agree with you tegdog. The OP seems to be open minded, and a good guy and I would put most of the other pro union guys that have posted in the same group.

I got on my soapbox because BisB was being condescending to anyone that didn't think unions were great. I apologize for being condescending towards anyone that didn't deserve it like the OP or Tuckr2, but I'm won't apologize to BisB because you just continue to be an ass to anyone that doesn't agree with the union system. I can understand where some of the union guys in this thread are coming from, but you strike me as just the type of guy that turns most people off when it comes to unions.

You can't expect anyone with a different opinion to understand where you are coming from if all you do is take shots at them every chance you get. Your inability to provide anything in this thread other than personal attacks without any positive information about unions really is a shame because you're making your "bretheran" look bad.

10. Mar 3, 2010 at 6:33 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Curious, does this mean without a union you wouldn't be able to get something better on your own?

11. Mar 3, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    bisleypete

bisleypete Member

Member:
    Tupelo MS
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 4 banger
    leveling kit
    How come all these pro union guys are buying toyotas. If you are pro union shouldnt you be buying a union made product. I am a pro non union electrician and proud I can make a living without having to have a guard dog union looking out for my best interests HA HA. You pro union guys do know Toyota only had 1 union factory and the got rid of that.

12. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    What does union vs non-union have anything to do with passion for Tacoma's? Hands down it is the best light pickup out there. Your comments about union owning Tacoma's are not really appreciated here.

My truck was built in NUMMI, which was staffed by Americans. If my purchase helped put food on another American's table, I could give a rats ass about union or non-union.

I have said it before and I will say it again, whether your busted your ass in the classroom, got yoruself a a skill/trade, worked your way through the ranks it doesn't matter. We ALL want to put food on the table and money in our pockets correct? And we all want to better ourselfs correct?

Thier is greed in every sector. If I had been an exec somewhere complaing on here how I didn't get my bonus would I get the same heat? So due to the fact that I am union and want a fair wage that by some means makes me less of an employee?

Come on man, post something useful or post nothing at all please.

13. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    Naw, I have worked for non-union businesses as well. Admittedly, it's been many years ago though. I also recently was a mid level manager for the same company I work for. Chose to actually return to my former job in the union when the company decided it no longer wanted to pay it's managers for overtime. I typically put in 400-600 hours of overtime and couldn't afford to take this type of cut.
    Fortunately, I had rights back to my union position as a lead quality inspector.
    I will admit as I get older I don't have the strength and drive I did as a 23 year old. I do however have 30 years of experience and a ton of knowledge. This allows me to outperform some of you young bucks by using brain over brawn.
    My biggest reason for staying with this company is pay and benefits. Very few private companies can offer the types of wages I get. I don't have to kill myself every day and the company values my skills as well. Seniority within a union gives some protections as they should. As long as I can perform my job I should have protections. The union does this.
    Kind of a long answer. There are good companies that are both union as well as non-union. A unions primary strength lies in it's members. The same can be said of it's weaknesses. Good employees work for both groups. Bad employee's work for both groups.

14. Mar 3, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    This question was already answered in an earlier post. Here is a piece of that post.
    What does pro-union have to do with buying a non-union vehicle or anything else for that matter. Union members aren't different from non-union members in that they want whats best for their family and themselves. They don't go out and buy everything because it's union made. I believe most are intelligent enough to make good conscious decisions regarding their purchases whether they be vehicles, or groceries for that matter.

15. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    im not saying unions are bad, just sometimes I think they think there worth more then they are.

I'll give you an example. Kid I work with(above mentiond sheet metal worker), no college and hes on the 4 or 5 year apprenticeship right now, forget which one it is. Hes making in the low $30/hr range being 22ish, living at home with nothing but a truck payment. Always complains about not making enough money for what hes doing, and hes just working to pay for the truck. Well, if the union guys didnt think they were such high shit, then america wouldnt be in alot of problems to begin with.

dont anyone take this personally, Its just my personal opinion.

16. Mar 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:

PEACE!
    What you have is a young man that has never had any responsibility. Suddenly he has a high paying job and actually believes his personal worth is much higher that it actually is. His day will come. He is not the example any of us would want.

17. Mar 4, 2010 at 4:51 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:

+1. You cannot fault him for making 30/hr. He is doing his time. Same thing as 4 years in college. Don't hate on him due to that. The fact that he complains he needs more cash with nothing more than a truck payment shows immaturity. With that kind of money, the truck needs double payments, investment in retirement and purchasing of a home should in order. Hate on him for having a good paying job and no clue what to do with it.

18. Mar 4, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    Agreed I dont think BisB realizes all he is doing is causing others to tune out, you can't get your point across if you dog everybody who disagrees with you. He may be making some good points I am not sure I can't digest what he has to say due to the childish attitude.

19. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Well, to give you guys an update if you didn't see it. The company and the union have come to terms for a new 3yr contract. 1st year, we will get a "ratification bonus" and a small raise in August. This is with no increase in copay for healthcare. Also, no reduction in pension payments. Years 2 and 3 will give smaller than normal raises yet only raise copays by $5 in year 2. (year 3 copay is the same as year 2) again with no reduction in pension payments both years.

There was some other language added that doesn't really affect me.

All in all, I am happy that this is over with. I feel a good contract was reached. And I plan to give Stop & Shop another 3 years of very good production. The was by far the best contract that ANY supermarket employee in the US (union of course) has gotten in recent times. The only thing I would have liked to see was some felxible scheduling for parents which allowed them some wiggle room for dropping off/picking children. Doesn't really affect me so no biggie.

Thanks to all you guys to gave support, and also to the ones who did not. We all are trying to make ends meet. Whether you are union or non-union, if you are providing for your family then you are a good man in my book.

Also, if there are any people who shop at Stop & Shop and supported us, thank you. Your support is always welcome.

20. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    Congrats Rob,
    A good contract at a difficult time. No takeaways is a great thing. There will be those who don't agree but it's not their paycheck.
    I wondered how it was all going to come out. Now I can unsubscribe to this post.
    Ken:proposetoast:

To Top