1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible to do a SAS without much of a lift?

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Suspension' started by GoForBroke, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Mar 10, 2017 at 7:33 AM
    1999RegCab

1999RegCab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cacti Land, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1999 Reg Cab, 2.7, 5 speed
    3-link SAS
    Definitely don't need 1 ton axles and big tires to wheel difficult trails. I found good deals on the parts when I was doing my SAS, so I went for it. The real reason is that it saved me money, LOL.

Nothing is really "needed" to have fun on the trails. People build their rigs as they want. Having said that, I argue that link suspensions with coilovers have many advantages over leaf springs. It's really a whole different level man, and I don't think that's subjective speculation. I've driven SASed rigs with both leafs and rigs and there's just no comparison between the two.

Again...is it really "needed"? Certainly no. Leaf springs have been used for a looooooooooooong time. They work, are cheap, etc.

Given the opportunity to build another rig again in the future, however; I could go with smaller axles and tires and be ok. But I would certainly not sacrifice the link suspension with coilovers. That would be the first item on my shopping cart.

2. Mar 10, 2017 at 7:39 AM
    cmack

cmack Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    18 Burrito
    As you said, personal preference. I like being leaf sprung in the front. It's simple and as you said, cheap. Yes the ride would be better with coilovers and links, but it does fine with leafs for my needs. ;)

malburg114 and slander like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top