1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible transmission issues?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by schecter517, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Aug 2, 2018 at 2:13 PM
    schecter517

schecter517 [OP] MX4LYFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Pro Wheels Falken WildPeak AT3W 265/70-17 Black Spyder Projector HL w/LED Bar Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights Spec-D Black Tail Lights Truxedo Deuce 2 Tonneau Cover Tinted Windows Bed Mat Debadged Blue LED Interior Lights LED Switchback Turn Signals Led Reverse Lights and License Plate Lights DDM Ultra HID 55W 55K Kit
    Hello Everyone!

So a quick rundown on what I'm towing so everyone knows the situation.

I have a 2006 Weekend Warrior Toyhauler Supercross Edition 18ft. Bought it last december. The sticker on the side says it weighs 2895lbs. I haven't looked at the tongue weight. It has 50 gal water tank, one propane tank, 2 deep cycle batteries and an A/C unit. After a dirt bike, quad (combined weight of 600lbs) all of our camping gear, clothes, food, water, gas, (the usual camping gear) I estimate total weight being around 4,500 lbs (I think). Anyway, I know the taco has a towing capacity of 6,500lbs (with tow package, which I have) so 4,500ish lbs is well within the ability of the truck but has anyone had any transmission issues? I ask because I do a lot of desert trips, which is most to all of my yearly camping, and the drive out consists of a lot of hills. 2 fairly large inclines with the rest being small to medium size, you could say. Going up these hills my speed drops to about 20-25 MPH. Very slow crawl which I know would be the case, I just afraid that I will be doing damage to the transmission. I tow in "4" and yea the tranny cooler helps but is there any long term affects I should be concerned about? Will towing this trailer eventually fry my tranny? Would it be worth buying another [bigger] truck to tow the trailer? Or am I totally fine and just over thinking it?

I just came back from a trip to Pismo beach over the weekend and there were some pretty gnarly hills on the drive out there so this is what got me thinking about this whole situation. Plus my step dad mentioned something about it too.

The last thing that I want to do unknowingly is destroy my truck over time. Any advise, thoughts, comments are always appreciated.

Thanks!

Truck 1.jpg

2. Aug 2, 2018 at 2:14 PM
    Comatose

Comatose You snuff it, we stuff it.

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OR Indy Ink
    Missing Critical Hardware Edition
    You have the tran cooler yes?

Edit: Thought I read that. You should be fine as long as your temp isn't going too high.

3. Aug 2, 2018 at 2:49 PM
    schecter517

schecter517 [OP] MX4LYFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    TRD Pro Wheels Falken WildPeak AT3W 265/70-17 Black Spyder Projector HL w/LED Bar Morimoto XB LED Fog Lights Spec-D Black Tail Lights Truxedo Deuce 2 Tonneau Cover Tinted Windows Bed Mat Debadged Blue LED Interior Lights LED Switchback Turn Signals Led Reverse Lights and License Plate Lights DDM Ultra HID 55W 55K Kit
    Yea I have the tranny cooler.

I don't have a scan gauge. Would it be wise to invest in one? My assumption would be that is the only way to monitor the transmission temp?

Comatose[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Aug 2, 2018 at 3:03 PM
    Comatose

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OR Indy Ink
    If you do a lot of towing, especially long distance and "hilly" towing, it wouldnt be the worst idea to invest in one (or the like). Better safe than sorry. You should honestly be ok though. Just make sure you change the fluid out more frequently than if you werent towing.

5. Aug 2, 2018 at 3:05 PM
    Comatose

Member:
    First Name:
    Miguel
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OR Indy Ink
    And make sure you definitely dont tow in O/D lol

schecter517[OP] likes this.
  6. Aug 4, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    Drive in 4 and on long hills you may want to put it in 3. Desert driving in the summer is considered extreme conditions. The extreme heat is a killer of everything. I would consider changing fluids like oil and tranny fluid more often than recommended. You may want the install a larger after market tranny cooler.
    I’ve towed everything imaginable over the last 50 years and never had a problem with over heating or tranny problems. I often tow in the California Central Valley which is desert hot in the summer. Never used scan gauge. I have however kept my vehicles super well maintained.
    In your case since a lot of Your towing is in extreme driving conditions and although not maxing out your tow capacity you are towing a heavy load for a taco, a scan gauge may be a good idea to know what’s going on heat wise.
    Keep in mind GVWR too. If you are hauling a bunch of stuff in the bed including dirt bike, quad and you include passengers, tongue weight and misc. I assume you are close to or exceeding GVWR. That could present problems.
    Bottom line I think you’ll be fine if you maintain your truck well, change fluids more frequently, maybe get an after market tranny cooler and maybe get a scan gauge.

7. Aug 12, 2018 at 10:05 AM
    airsavage

airsavage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Butch
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Sport 4x4 MGM, 2000 Prerunner
    I installed a scan gauge II for my own peace of mind. We made an 1100 mile trip towing 2 tons and it was good to know what the tranny temps were running.
    IMG_0041.jpg

8. Aug 13, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    schecter517

schecter517 [OP] MX4LYFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Nice, I'll probably get one here soon. Nice set up btw :thumbsup:

airsavage[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Aug 16, 2018 at 7:41 PM
    Cnasianfire

Cnasianfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD off road DCSB
    BFG KO2 285/75/16 ~2" lift (5100s and block)
    I use torque pro on android with a bluetooth OBDCII reader.

10. Aug 17, 2018 at 2:40 PM
    Bretsuaz48

Bretsuaz48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Surprise, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sport
    Out of an abundance of caution, since I don't have a gauge, on the big hills I just slow down and gear down to 3rd and stay in the right hand lane with the big rigs. I am towing a 4,300 pound dry weight trailer.

Products Discussed in

To Top