1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Post-"Harsh Ride"-TSB questions...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by MO'B, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    MO'B

MO'B [OP] Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    Hi All..

This is my first post here, so please be gentle.

I'm mulling over having the "Harsh Ride" TSB done to my '07 2WD TRD Prerunner, which you probably know will involve replacing the rear three-leaf springs with four-leaf springs.

My question is, and I realize this is relative, just how stiff will the ride be post TSB? Of course this question can probably best be answered by people who have the same truck.

(FYI: I plan on towing a 14-foot, 1960-lb (dry) Fun Finder X139 travel trailer.)

Again, I realize my question is relative; so please put it in a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being the softest ride) with the truck's current ride being about a 3 to 4. I have yet to tow the trailer with the truck, and I only tow it for a few months in the summer, so I'd probably rather not have the truck ride like a tractor for 10 months just to have the better towing capability for 2 months.

And, as a result, might an air-bag kit, so called, be a better way to go?
    THANKS!
    Michael

2. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I found that the ride didn't change much at all after the TSB. Truck felt a little firmer, but not harsh at all. I am happier with the ride and increased capacity. I'd do it again. I say go for it, you won't regret it.

3. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    eschmunk

eschmunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    GrillCrafter Upper and Lower, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers, Di-Noc Carbon Valence Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Rubbermaid "ActionPacker" containers for bed storage.
    It could all be in my head but I think the truck rides better with the tsb. I had the dealer perform the tsb last week and couldn't be happier. Well I could, if I lift the front to match, it is a little nose down at the moment. Again, it might be in my head though, I also had the tranny tsb done at the same time.

4. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...

x2

5. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    MO'B

MO'B [OP] Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    I appreciate the prompt responses.

My main question was prompted by the Toyota service manager telling me they'd gladly do the TSB, but that they wouldn't undo it if I didn't like the considerably stiffer ride. So, I was concerned by the "considerably stiffer ride" part, which on a date is almost always a good thing, but for my truck, might not be.

I bought the truck to be a truck, not to be a "cruck": a truck that rides like a car.

Again, THANKS! This is a good forum.

Kindest regards...
    Michael
    P.S. to eschmunk... just to be clear regarding "I also had the tranny tsb done at the same time," my understanding is that this "tranny TSB" is for 2009s, not for 2007s.

6. Jan 8, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    MO'B

MO'B [OP] Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    Just picked up my '07 from having the harsh ride TSB done; I didn't notice a big difference in the ride: just firmer and more controlled in the rear end. I didn't notice a difference in how it sits either.

For the 2WD Prerunner w/ the TRD Off Road package, it's just the springs, clamps, and bump stops that are changed in this TSB. Plus they realign all four wheels.

The American Toyota (Larry Miller affilliate) dealership in Albuquerque was great. No hassles, no issues, no charges.

Thanks again to all for the responses and advice!
    Best regards... Michael

7. Jan 8, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    ekard

ekard Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC SB 4X4 OR
    TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100's, Eibach coils, TSB Leaf pack, Toyota Bed Mat and D-Rings, Dakine Tailgate Pad, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech Floormats, PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Goodyear Duratracs 265/75/16, SCS F5 wheels
    I haven't seen anyone complain about the ride post-TSB on here. I'd assume that dealers are only giving the warning to weed out anyone who doesn't really want/need the upgrade.

Dealer gets comp'd by Toyota to do the upgrade, but not to undo it. They don't want anyone coming back and expecting to revert to stock for free.

To Top