1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Post Pics or stories of having to use your Hi Lift Jack

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Shmellmopwho, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Sep 19, 2015 at 8:45 PM
    Shmellmopwho

Shmellmopwho [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Lomita CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 White DCLB TRD sport
    Bunch of stuff
    Awesome! Thanks for posting pictures, aren't you glad you had a hi lift Jack for those situations?

2. Sep 19, 2015 at 8:46 PM
    Shmellmopwho

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Lomita CA
    Vehicle:
    Bunch of stuff

Totally! They are extremely versatile! So nice to have one and know that it's there for you if you need it.

3. Sep 20, 2015 at 3:00 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    :laugh: This looks like a Hi-Lift commercial in the making!

NorthwestCruiser likes this.
  4. Sep 20, 2015 at 6:53 PM
    bluewaters182

bluewaters182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
    In slade with a small group, jeep guy snagged his valve stem on a rock and sheered it off. He had a spare, but no jack. Someone had a bottle jack, but it wouldn't get the axle high enough. The guy was sketched, and didn't want to use it, but had no choice. He picked his tow hook to jack on, which I probably wouldn't have used, but it was his rig. He was able to change his tire (37") no problem and we were on our way. Note we were in a ravine and it was tight quarters.

IMG_20150711_122434416_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150711_115532735_HDR.jpg

5. Sep 20, 2015 at 7:04 PM
    B Wess08

B Wess08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Redondo Beach
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Duaramax
    Flash Tune, Transgo Shift Kit, EGR Delete, Rear Locker
    this is a cool thread, subbed, i don't have a hi lift yet, and I'm hoping i won't need one hahaha

6. Sep 20, 2015 at 7:09 PM
    Shmellmopwho

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Lomita CA
    Vehicle:
    Bunch of stuff
    Thanks for sharing story and pics, I've had to pick off of my rear shackle hitch receiver before (before I built my rear bumper) was a little sketchy haha!

They are a very useful tool! If you have the $100 to spare it's an awesome thing to have for the "just in case situation". I always say better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it haha.

7. Sep 20, 2015 at 7:10 PM
    B Wess08

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Redondo Beach
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Duaramax
    "They are a very useful tool! If you have the $100 to spare it's an awesome thing to have for the "just in case situation". I always say better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it haha."

I'm saving for my mid travel kit, about $600 away right now. where at in Torrance are you?? I'm on the Avenues in Redondo

8. Sep 20, 2015 at 7:16 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I have worn out one high lift and have a second, brand new one in standby. Mine has changed tires, assisted in brake jobs and other maintenance, pulled fence posts and cross ties, winched trucks form mud, pulled stumps and 10,000 other jobs...

9. Sep 20, 2015 at 7:18 PM
    bluewaters182

bluewaters182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
    [​IMG]
    Off road base is essential on soft ground.

THROTTLE231 likes this.
  10. Sep 20, 2015 at 7:32 PM
    Shmellmopwho

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Lomita CA
    Vehicle:
    Bunch of stuff
    Nice, which kit are you gonna get? I just bought a house in Lomita about 6 months ago, closest cross streets are Lomita Blvd and Western.

Awesome! You're definitely getting some great use out of yours! Thanks for sharing!

Definitely a huge help, I always carry a 1 square foot 1" thick piece of plywood to use as a base for soft ground

11. Sep 20, 2015 at 9:45 PM
    B Wess08

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Redondo Beach
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB Duaramax
    kings all the way around, total chaos uca's and 3 leaf aal

12. Sep 20, 2015 at 9:48 PM
    catattacksdog

catattacksdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Steve
    Not Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    07 dc
  13. Sep 20, 2015 at 9:56 PM
    Shmellmopwho

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Lomita CA
    Vehicle:
    Bunch of stuff
    Sweet man! That'll be an awesome set up!

Nice man! Was that to get you unstuck or to fix something?

14. Sep 20, 2015 at 10:10 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
  15. Sep 21, 2015 at 4:49 AM
    RogueTRD

RogueTRD Learn to swim...

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '14 Pyrite Mica DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Stacked spacer lift, 22x12 wheels with stretched 33's, tow mirrors, bull nuts.
    Subbed, cool thread. I haven't used mine off road yet. Just in the garage/driveway to put my truck on jack stands and make sure I know how to use it. lol Wheeling with my dad in the 80's I saw him and his friends use one for all sorts of stuff.

16. Sep 21, 2015 at 5:15 AM
    Shmellmopwho

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Lomita CA
    Vehicle:
    Bunch of stuff
    That's a useful video for sure. Thanks dude.

Great that you have one and have practiced using it so when/if you need to use it Offroad then you have it and know how to use it.

17. Sep 21, 2015 at 8:56 PM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    I'll play!

A Hi lift has been an extremely valuable tool for me both on and off road.

I first bought a Hi lift (actually a 54" Reese Farm Jack from Tractor Supply) out of absolute necessity! I was wheeling by myself :rolleyes: one evening in early March in a secluded wooded area when I came upon a huge water hazard. Not knowing how deep it was I decided to turn around instead of fording it. As I pulled a multi point turn my front end slid into some seriously sloppy shit and I started to get stuck. As I attempted to get unstuck I quickly found that my efforts were digging me deeper and deeper into trouble. Before I had realized, my rear tires had slipped off of the semi solid trail and I was sunk to my frame.. I tried jamming sticks under the tires, throwing bags of sand that I carried in the bed under there, and even sacrificed my floor mats trying to get traction. Nada. I also attempted to use my factory jack up under my hitch receiver, but between the soft ground, limited lift, and mud suction my efforts were futile. :frusty:

By this time it had gotten dark, had began to snow a little, and my cell phone died!! Wtf now!?!? I locked up my truck, put on a jacket, and tucked my tail as I began to walk outta the woods. After walking out the nearly 2 miles to the access road I hoped that I could find someone to flag down to give me a ride home.. No such luck. Another 2-3mile walk on the road, into the blowing snow of course, I got into town, found a phone, and got a ride.

So the next morning I didn't have too many options. My only other wheeling buddy wasn't around and my friend who offered to help drives a beat to shit ford explorer w/ no lift and highway tires, no way in hell he was gonna be able to get back to where I left the truck. Soo I decided that my only option was to have him drive me to the trail head and walk back in and try to dig myself out. I had a shovel and a come-along but knew I would need something better. Luckily there's a Tractor Supply 2 towns away, I called them first thing in the morning to see if they sold a Hi lift and they said they had a "Farm Jack".. I figured I would take my chances and go check it out. It turned out to be exactly what I was looking for so I promptly bought it and headed out to face reality.

I carried that heavy F'n thing the whole way back to the truck cursing its weight the whole way, praying that I could get unstuck. After a bunch of digging and cussing it was time to give the Jack a try. Thank God that I had some wood scraps in the bed of my truck (I'm a contractor) because my initial attempts to use the lift resulted in just burying the damn base into the muck. A layer of 3/4" plywood was all it took to give the Jack a solid base to sit on. I was finally able to raise the rear tires enough to break the suction and let me get some sticks and logs under them. With some luck and some skinny pedal I got the truck back onto terra firma and outta the hell hole that I had fell into!! :taco::woot::yes::rasta:

This experience made me immediately realize just how invaluable this tool can be. Since that day I've carried the Farm Jack in the bed of truck and would simply not wheel without it!

Some other times that I've used my jack have been to change tires on the trail due to broken beads/bent rims

Mine

@HomerTaco

Get a buddy's rig off of a boulder he found himself hung-up on.. @avw4x4

Rotate tires in my driveway lol. Aaaand most recently, like 2 days ago, break the bead on my km2s, using the hitch receiver of the truck as an anchor, so that I could replace a valve stem. Worked like a charm.

If you don't already have a hi lift/farm jack, GET ONE!!
    Another useful accessory is a Lift Mate, which allows you to attach directly to a wheel.

AKGSD, sawjai526, godsend and 6 others like this.
  18. Sep 21, 2015 at 9:16 PM
    Shmellmopwho

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Lomita CA
    Vehicle:
    Bunch of stuff
    Dude! Awesome addition to this thread! Great story! If that's not a story to get people to buy a Hi Lift, then I don't know what is haha!

19. Sep 22, 2015 at 7:18 AM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Tyler's Reese high lift operated like butter... I want one like his. :cool:

20. Sep 22, 2015 at 7:33 AM
    Rattletrap66

Rattletrap66 (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Tampa, FL ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    ╭∩╮(ಠ۝ಠ)╭∩╮
    sub'd, great stories so far!