1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Potential buyer questions ... wheels & bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by easternhunter, May 2, 2012.

1. May 2, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    easternhunter

easternhunter [OP] New Member

Member:
    Guys,

Am an older fella (65) and looking at a 4x4 Access Cab I4 truck. Have some questions:

1) I read comments abt wheels and 5 lug being the best. Firstly, in my other association w vehicles lug means bolt so five lug would be a five bolt pattern wheel. Looks to me as if all Tacos are 6 bolt wheels.

Could the posts I've read mean 5 spoke?

If so, why are they better?

2) Abt the bed ... I visited a dealer today and he showed me a truck that met my basic configuration and pointed out the "polymer" bed that he suggested would outlast the truck. Are they really that good? How long do they really last?

Thanks!

Mike

2. May 2, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    The beds won't rust. I've heard of some cracking in *really* cold climates but have had no problems with mine here in NJ. Hauled loads of stone without issue.

The 5-lug vs 6-lug thing is more than wheels. The number of wheel lugs just makes it easy to identify what you're looking at. 5-luggers have a spring-under-axle setup and a completely different front suspension compared to the 6-lug. 6-lug is spring-over-axle in the rear.

3. May 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    well to answer #1, there are tacoma's that come with a 5 lug configuration, and some with a 6 lug nut configuration. The difference is the model or packages on the truck. A pre-runner, has 6 lugs, is always 2 wheel drive, but sits higher up, has a better suspension, etc. all "trd" models are 6 lug. all 4x4's are 6 lug. And you can pretty much mix and match different packages (i.e. sport, off road, stuff like that) to get the type of truck you want for your purposes. a base tacoma has 5 lug nuts. those sit lower to the ground and do not have the same suspension (other tw members correct me if im wrong) and usually come with only 4 cylinder engines.
    It pretty much comes down to what you want out of your truck.
    if you're towing, get a tow package (i think that tow packages can only be on six lug)
    only need a small truck with a bed for hauling some tools and what not (not heavy duty), then get a regular 5 lug.
    going to need a better suspension/ haul more?- go with the pre-runner
    going to need 4x4, go with, well a 4x4.
    My big suggestion would take a few minutes, go to toyota.com, and "build your own." that will show you the difference in trucks and let you see what you can mix and match on the truck so you can feel out exactly what you need.

As for the bed liner. I hve no complaints so far. ive beaten mine up pretty good and it is holding up just fine. i dont know if it will outlast the truck but i see no need to replace it in the foreseeable future, but i havent had mine long enough to really know.

Best of luck! any other questions or clarifications just ask!

4. May 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    oh i forgot to mention,
    yes i am a little biased but i would highly recommend getting a tacoma, at least if it is the kind of vehicle that fits your needs. There are lots of reasons why i would recommend this truck, but it would honestly be a long list. so if you want me to i can get into it, but suffice it to say that i love my truck and have no regrets getting it!

5. May 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    The X-Runners are 5-luggers with the 4.0 v6 and 6-speed manual.

6. May 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    IMO you either need the 5 lug, automatic [​IMG] or just

throw caution to the wind and buy the XRunner! [​IMG] You are old!

7. May 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    undermoneyed

undermoneyed aka Alley Opp,

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    B.C., Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    totally stock
    Hey Mike, I'm 67 and just bought a 2008 Access Cab 4 x 4. It's got 67,000 km (about 43,000 mi.) and runs great. My nephew has the same truck 2005 with 180,000 km (about 120,000 mi) and the only problem he's had so far is the a/c belt needs to be replaced. I got the TRD. Good luck with your purchase.
    Mark

8. May 2, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    easternhunter,

Now that we have you thoroughly confused, I noticed that you are looking at a 4X4. In that case, it will have six hole/lug nut wheels.

As for the bed, in 20 years we can positively tell you, but they seem to be holding up pretty good for most folks.

Products Discussed in

To Top