1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Potential New Gun Owner Questions

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by STOCKTRD, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Apr 3, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    Penten

Penten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Iowa
    Love my sig p320 9mm . Honestly sig is top tier and stand behind their product from what I've read

JayMac likes this.
  2. Apr 3, 2017 at 8:41 PM
    odiesplace

odiesplace Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma
    S&W is offering a $75 rebate on the sheild which is a great beginner handgun. I'm a sig guy but the shield is a good gun. My best advice is find a handgun that fit your hand good and points well. By that I mean the sights will naturally line up as your pushing the pistol out to a natural shooting position. Glock makes a fantastic handgun but it doesn't fit my hand well, I have to roll m wrist forward to align the sights.
    Whatever you decided you want do your homework, read some reviews before you buy.
    After you purchase a handgun take a handgun class or two, learn the basics. Then spend as much time as you can practicing. If your purchasing this as a self defense handgun, think about how your body will react under stress and incorporate that into your training. Shooting under stress is totally different than a casual day at the range. Train the way your going to fight. Good luck and happy shooting

Soflanick and Dudeman86 like this.
  3. Apr 5, 2017 at 8:05 AM
    eledobleu

eledobleu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Retrofit Wholesale
    Buddy of mine just bought the M&P shield with the rebate. Its a great gun. Though I would suggest going to a gun show and finding a gun that best fits you. Hold it, feel it, check trigger pull etc. Everyone has their own taste. I personally love the Springfield XD9

4. Apr 7, 2017 at 7:28 AM
    maxus

maxus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DCSB V6 MT
    If you're leaning towards a Glock 9mm, my suggestion would be the 19. The subcompacts (26, 43) just seem a little short in the grip for me. And, I don't have overly large hands. The 43 isn't as bad as the 26. Granted, this is a personal opinion, but in trying to put myself in the "first time gun owner" frame of mind, I think I'd rather have something with a little more grip to it. I carry a 19 almost everywhere I go, and with an inside the waistband type holster (Crossbreed, Theis, Alien, etc.), I can conceal the 19 under a t-shirt, without any issues at all.

The S&W Shield is a nice piece as well. I'll second the "find a range that rents" comment. That'd be the best way to see what fits, and what shoots good for you.

Hope this helps!

5. Apr 8, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    clc clc

clc clc Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 reg cab tacoma/2020 subaru crosstrek
    I have the sig p238 with grip extension and it's a nice little gun. Basically a colt Mustang. I like my glock 35 but I don't shoot it so well. I'd also suggest trying out guns to see what you like best. Lots of options out on the market.

6. Apr 20, 2017 at 11:25 PM
    FNH5-7

FNH5-7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fresno County
    9mm is a good choice. Cheap enough to frequently practice with.

7. May 4, 2017 at 8:52 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...the right handgun for you is one that fits your hand properly, enabling you to point it accurately and sight properly, and, ...perhaps most importantly, ...is conducive to you operating it fully and properly...

...some factors i consider:
    - can i reach the mag release w/out contorting my grip on the gun?
    - can i easily operate the action, ..i.e. "rack" the slide, etc.
    - can i reach the slide lock w/out contorting my grip?
    - are the sights at least halfway decent? ...size, coloration, etc., ..especially the front sight being perceptible
    - magazine capacity
    - ergonomics of grip - fit in the hand, grip texture, ..not slippery
    - length/size... barrel, frame width, etc.
    - mag release type: ...i prefer the thumb button, and do not like the trigger guard paddle type
    - manufacturer reputation, reliablility, warranty, etc.
    - manual safety: want or don't want?

SUM total = can i manipulate the action, swap mags, get on target...

IndyZen and odiesplace like this.
  8. May 12, 2017 at 11:51 AM
    bhughesru03

bhughesru03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    20 TRD OR 4x4 MGM
    OP, if your thinking about getting into carrying a concealed weapon then I can't stress enough about practicing. Look into IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Assoc) around your area. It's all about drawing, shooting, & reloading in defensive scenarios. Yes, a lot of people will treat it as a competition and game the hell out of it, but it's really good to start practicing all of the other skills related to carrying a firearm.

9. May 12, 2017 at 11:56 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    This, all day everyday...

IndyZen and JayMac[QUOTED] like this.
  10. May 12, 2017 at 11:58 AM
    IndyZen

IndyZen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Central Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD Off Road DCSB 4X4 Manual Tranny
    Everyone and every hand is different...so guns are definitely a different strokes for different folks thingy. For me and my hands...nothing feels better than Glocks and S&W semi's and S&W revolvers. I have several Glocks, love them...they are my fun guns as well as my bedside guns. But, for conceal carry, nothing beats my 40 caliber S&W Shield...fantastic shooter with a fantastic profile. My wife and both of my daughters are also big, big fans of the Shield. For carry, I prefer the Shield in an Alien Gear IWB over a Glock "true" subcompacts like the 42 and 43. Plus those (as far as I know) only are .380 and 9mm rather than 40 (which is my preferred conceal carry caliber as well.)
    By the way, never buy a gun unless you have shot it. No way to know if you will like it unless you have held it, shot it, and been shown how to disassemble it (another plus with Glocks and Shields is how easy they are to disassemble and clean...very few moving parts to deal with.) Most ranges will rent you guns to try out. Take the time to do that. Or go out with friends and shoot their guns.

11. May 12, 2017 at 12:03 PM
    IndyZen

IndyZen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Central Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD Off Road DCSB 4X4 Manual Tranny
    Also - the NRA offers relatively cheap, convenient basic shooting and defensive classes. They have an introductory handgun class that is a great start (my wife and daughters both learned a lot and enjoyed it)...then follow that with more advanced classes (NRA has one for home defense as well as conceal carry.) Other organizations have classes too...but in my experience, they are often geared toward getting into competitive shooting vs. just learning how to use and carry a firearm.

12. Jun 23, 2017 at 5:04 PM
    JonWon

JonWon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4x4
    Sig M11-A1 is another option but a little pricey vs. Glocks...Sigs in general are a little higher priced. Look at CZ as well...great guns that don't break the bank imo

Products Discussed in

To Top