1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Powder coating

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chester, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Dec 28, 2009 at 12:59 PM
    Chester

Chester [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD-OR M-V6 4x4
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    So I am looking to powder coat my rims when I get my new tires.I talked to Deadbolt a few months back and he said it ran him $200.I just stopped at a local shop that wanted $85 to a $100 per wheel!So I am just trying to get some feedback from those that have had it done on cost and time off the truck.And if your in Nor Cal where you had it done.Thanks

2. Dec 28, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Expect 2-3 days off the truck. 1-2 days to prep and shoot....1 day to set/bake and clean....depending on shop volume.

85-100 seems pretty reasonable to me. It takes a fair bit of the powder and a large oven to do a rim...Plus the work of taking the tire off and TPMS and valve stem off.

3. Dec 28, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road SR5 Impulse Red
    5100's @ 1.25", Scangaugae II, deck plate mod w/AFE Pro Dry S filter, grey wire mod, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, 17" sport wheels powder coated black, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers, 265/70/17 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, sockmonkey beside decals.
    i paid 60/wheel. but i also sand blasted them myself. are you having them sandblast them?

4. Dec 28, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '05 4runner SR5 v8
    ENSURE YOU PREP THEM PROPERLY!!!

a buddy at work has a hookup and he stated $50/wheel, so that range (if it includes proper prep work) sounds about right. i was getting quotes in the $150 range from some places, so...

have you looked into duplicolor wheel paint? i researched some and that stuff seemed pretty good, and only $6/can! and if you scratch the wheel up its an easy fix, whereas powdercoating your screwed!

5. Dec 28, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    lembowski

lembowski Rompin Around

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 LT, Caged, 4WD
    Pandajerk got his done down in SoCal for $300 or $350 I can't remember. He told me he took them there with the tires mounted and they got it all done in a day.

6. Dec 28, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    Chester

Chester [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD-OR M-V6 4x4
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    Yeah the quote I got was for just the powder coating no tire removal,they said about 5-7 days.I was going to remove the clear coat that is on them somehow but the truck on jackstands for a week isnt really an option.So then i would need to buy some cheap O rims which isnt a problem but it does add cost.So it all boils down to time and cost,and rattle can seems to be a way to avoid the downsides of this mod.Doing the 5100's at the same time and not till Feb so I will keep shopping the best way to get er done.

7. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    VeNoMiZeD

VeNoMiZeD Well-Known Member

Member:
    What did you decide on? I'm in the same boat as you and want to powder coat my stock trd rims to black. The shop I was quoted at said $75-100 per wheel. At the time I didn't ask if it included prep, for that price it better. My other problem not having other wheels in replacement while the stock ones are getting done? I was thinking of buying some used TRD ones that I could get powder coated but then the TPMS came into play and that could be an issue also.

To Top