1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Powdercoating OEM Tube Steps - How do you remove the pads??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fatsac, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    fatsac

fatsac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Millbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC Offroad
    Katz Leather, heated seats, Tint, KN Filter, OME 887, Camburg UCA, Dakar packs, 17x9 XD, 295/70 Toyo MT w cab mount chop, fender massage, Weathertechs, Black PC steps, skidplate, 2012 grill, Bushwacker painted flares, Nearly every TSB you can think of, TRD quickshift, All-Pro front w/ Skids, 9k winch, Tonneau cover, voodoo tailgate cap...
    Has anyone powdercoated their steps? The clips holding the pads in place are impossible to get to!
    If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. I'm considering breaking the clips and gluing the pads back in place.
    Thanks!

2. Nov 17, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    RZRob

RZRob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    At first I was wondering the same thing and then everyone convinced me how cheesy they were so now I'm waiting for AllPro sliders to go on sale for the holidays.

I've got a set of stock tube steps I'll be unloading shortly.

RZ Rob

3. Nov 17, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    I taped mine off. There are a bunch of plastic clips holding them on and you would probably ruin the pads getting them off. Someone on the forum said that the pads were $50 apiece to replace.

4. Nov 17, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    fatsac

fatsac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Millbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC Offroad
    Katz Leather, heated seats, Tint, KN Filter, OME 887, Camburg UCA, Dakar packs, 17x9 XD, 295/70 Toyo MT w cab mount chop, fender massage, Weathertechs, Black PC steps, skidplate, 2012 grill, Bushwacker painted flares, Nearly every TSB you can think of, TRD quickshift, All-Pro front w/ Skids, 9k winch, Tonneau cover, voodoo tailgate cap...
    If they hadn't come with the truck, I'd be all over some Avid or Nfab. I figure powdercoat will be unique and never chip. No matter what I've painted, it always seems to chip and flake. No need for one more thing to keep up with but to each their own.

5. Nov 17, 2010 at 1:59 PM
    TacoBow

TacoBow Intentionally cosmetically incorrect.

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4x4 Access Cab
    50 bones each for pads... ouch!

Is there no way to slip a clip tool under the pad while gently lifting upwards to free the pad without damaging the retainer clip?

Depending on what weather you drive in, PC will still chip. Not nearly as easy as paint... even commercial finishes with hardener don't hold up like PC. If you live say, here... welcome to PA... the calcium DOT uses kills everything!

I'd try locating the clips with a thin flexible putty knife and try to determine which way to apply pressure - straight on or side to side - while lifting the pad. Otherwise, painting over 'em, (not) or masking it off for paint is about the only other option as stated above.

To Top