1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power lock problem - ideas?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cmoschip, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Apr 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    cmoschip

cmoschip [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    I have a 2008 TRD Sport DC with factory keyless entry. Last year I installed the Moerse Lekker beep mod (http://www.moerse.com/PRODUCTS/TT_Buzzer/Buzzer.htm) Works great – no problems.

In January I bought a used Leer top that had the Leer keyless entry option. The keyless entry is a simple solenoid with a two-wire hookup, no different then the Dynalock’s I have seen on this site. I followed a Dynalock install writeup on this site and tied the Leer solenoid into the blue/pink and blue/black wires under the driver’s sill (the ones that go to the drivers side REAR door. The Leer solenoid worked fine and as I wanted – to unlock after depressing the unlock button twice and lock when depressing the lock button once. There was one unintended side effect – when locking the truck, I no longer had audible beep from the Moerse Lekker mod, nor did I have flashing lights. When unlocking I had both beeping and flashing lights. I can only attribute this in some manner to the Leer solenoid drawing an amount of current large enough to keep the relay that controls the lights (and subsequently the beep) from closing. Just a guess – regardless, I was ok with it.

Yesterday I unlocked the truck with two presses of the unlock button (got successful beeps and flashes) and when I tried to open the drivers’ door I found it still locked, yet all other doors were unlocked. I tried again and it unlocked so I dismissed it and went on my way. Later in the day I realized the front passenger’s door was not locking nor unlocking – either with the keyless entry or the door switch. I thought the actuator might be bad and continued my day. I experienced more intermittent unlocking and non-unlocking on the driver’s front door with both the keyfob and the switch. I thought the Leer solenoid might be the problems so I removed it entirely. I still experience the same intermittent results:

1. When unlocking by pressing once on the fob, sometimes the drivers front door unlocks, sometimes it does not.
    2. When unlocking by pressing twice, the back doors ALWAYS unlock, the front drivers door intermittently unlocks.
    3. When using the front drivers’ door switch inside on the door, usually everything works but I have seen at least one failure to lock. Back doors always lock. Front driver;s door seems to lock more slowly than it should
    4. Passenger front door does not lock or unlock electrically anymore

How many relays are involved in this system? 1 for driver’s front and 1 for the rest? I’m thinking it has to be relay related.

Any ideas?

2. Apr 17, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    cmoschip

cmoschip [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    BUMP.

Does anyone know how many power lock relays a 2nd gen Tacoma has? And which ones they are? I looked on the wiring diagram but don't see any of the in-cab or in-engine compartment labeled as power locks.

***UPDATE*** Doesn't appear to have relays for the door lock circuits. Rather the Body ECU controls the door locks, in addition to several other functions. Does anyone have any experience troubleshooting the Body ECU?

To Top