1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power lock problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by VintageFast, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Jul 31, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    VintageFast

VintageFast [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 3.4, 2WD
    'o2 Dbl cab w/Securikey alarm system and power locks. Ok, so on Sunday I had the key in the ignition with the radio on. The alarm beeped 3 times and the doors automatically locked by themselves. I didn't touch anything to lock the doors. It did it twice. Luckily I had the windows rolled down.

Yesterday, in my driveway, it did the same thing.

I changed the battery in the alarm pushbutton assembly but no change. I then decided to put the key back in the ignition and push the door lock button to see if the doors would lock. They did but the problem is that the key was in the ignition. Toyota's aren't supposed to lock the doors while the key is in the ignition.

Any thoughts on why the doors lock with the key in the ignition and why the alarm is setting itself with no intervention by me?

2. Jul 31, 2012 at 6:15 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 :POOPCORN: Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5, 88 SR5 PU, 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    It has to be the alarm system overriding the stock settings. I know my 98 would not lock with the key in the ignition also. The lock would pop right back up.

3. Jul 31, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    ^agree. Sounds like the alarm doing the work. Some alarms are programmed to lock the car automatically. Not super familar with the alarm you have, but many that I've had will lock the doors in various situations depending on program function settings.

Example, remote the doors to unlock, if you don't open a door in 30 seconds or so the system locks the doors again and rearms.

When key is put in ignition and switched on the doors will lock, when switched off they will unlock etc.

Quick search for you and so far I've only found info that programs the remotes from the look of it. http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/toyota/6872/securikey-programming-and-manual

If you scan down the posts someone put the instructions on a couple of different posts. Could be useful.

I see a good number of posts saying these alarms were installed as part of a Gulf States deal. I did find what looks like a tech number that might help if still active (sorry, did not call it). For Customer Assistance call 1-800-444-1074 Gulf States Toyota. This was posted on TTORA if I remember right. Was at the bottom of instuctions about the alarm as far as replacing the battery and arm/disarm without sound.

If the number is still active you might be able to get confirmation on what it is doing and how you can possibly change the setting if you are able.

Only other thought I would have, if not the alarm itself, is a wiring or power/ground issue. If just the key was on without the engine running, did you perhaps run the battery a bit low. That could maybe cause an issue as could a battery that is getting weak. Think more that it is probably an alarm control setting, but you never know.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit at least.

Cheers

4. Jul 31, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    VintageFast

VintageFast [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner 3.4, 2WD
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to disconnect the battery and start over.

5. Jul 31, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    I have the securikey in my truck and don't use it, yet at random times it will arm itself??? I don't even carry those transponder keys. I have yet find a way to fully disable the alarm.

6. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Only thing I could find was perhaps putting it in the valet mode.

Valet mode: The LED button on the dash will turn on the valet mode when pushed in and turn off valet mode when pushed out. When in valet mode, all alarm functions are by-passed, except the panic function and door locks.

Other than that I did see something similar on the Camry forums. The posters wife drove the vehicle and they don't use the securikey system. Says they just use the regular blank key for the vehicle. Said that 4 - 5 times annually the alarm will set and go off. He is not sure if it has something to do with using the power door locks instead of key locking the car.

Either way, what he did was to contact the same Gulf States Toyota (assume same place as listed above). They emailed him the instructions on it and also the installation instructions for installing one from scratch. I would assume if you were able to get these from them that you could then use them to uninstall the system totally depending on how confortable you are with working with auto electrics.

Appears Gulf States Toyota is a huge operation. If the above number does not work then this might be updated info that may help:
    Gulf States Toyota, Inc.
    1375 Enclave Pkwy.
    Houston, TX 77077
    TX Tel. 713-580-3300
    Fax 713-580-3332

At least they might point you in the right direction for getting the info needed.
    Cheers

To Top