1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power Lock Wiring Install Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by the_tick, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Nov 21, 2008 at 8:05 PM
    the_tick

the_tick [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    I have a 2007 base regular cab Tacoma with AT. I have owned it for two weeks now and I have to say I absolutely love this truck. Got it with 6800 miles on it and it drives and looks brand spanking new. Ok, now on to the issue at hand. My Tacoma doesn't have power locks. I've decided to install them myself. I found a 2 Door Cable Lock Kit with 712T Keyless Entry from "A1 Electric Automotive Accesories". It uses a MES lock kit, which I have read is a very reliable choice. I have looked at A1 Electric's video on their web site on how to install the cable and actuator and I'm pretty sure I have the details I need as far as that is concerned. What I am not sure about is how and where I can tie in the electric wiring. I'm not sure if I should tie into the ECU (if that is even an option) or, as a neighbor has suggested, somehow tie into the ignition (sparing any problems with the ECU). I haven't bought the kit yet and I have heard that there are no wiring instructions included in the kit. Has anyone out there done this before? And if so, can you give me any insight about the wiring that is neccessary (for the actuator, swithes, and the keyless entry). Well, hope I made it all clear as this is my first post being a new Tacoma owner. Thanks in advance to anyone with insight.

The Tick

2. Nov 30, 2008 at 6:17 PM
    the_tick

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Either people think I'm in too deep or they just aren't willing to offer insight. Either way there are no replies and no help. Good luck to all who post here.

3. Nov 30, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    I didnt even know you could put power locks on a truck that does not have them!! My 96 taco has manual locks to! I would love to put them on it! Could you send me the sight that has these power locks on it??

4. Nov 30, 2008 at 6:44 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    I can't tell you about the specifics of the A1 kit but I have installed electric-life units. Very simple wiring procedure and no switches to mount (being central locking, both doors lock and unlock when any factory switch or key is used). You will tie it into one of ignition wires for power, there are only 2 wires to hook up to the vehicle. I have a web source I use at work for location and color pf wire to be used at work, I will be in work on tues. if you are interested message me and I will respond with the website.

5. Nov 30, 2008 at 8:32 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar

So they come with a key and when you press the unlock button they unlock and lock back when you press the lock button??

6. Dec 1, 2008 at 12:47 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Mr. Tick,

One thing you have to realize when you posted it at 11pm. That most of the people on here are not late nighters. And it was the week of the holidays. Your post probably got pushed down the line out of site by new threads. That is the reason you come in on another day to bump the post back up to the top. There are quite a few people on here that could help you with your request. It is just a timing thing. We aren't ignoring you. Most likely the ones online at the time did not have the expertise to help you. There are alot of good people on this site willing to help when they can. You just have to give them a chance to find this thread.

Good luck with your install & post pics when you are done. Maybe you can help someone in the future with this.

7. Dec 1, 2008 at 3:35 AM
    stro1965

stro1965 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bellevue, NE
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica Tacoma 4x4
    I haven't looked into doin them myself, but I have gotten a quote to have them installed in my truck. I thought the $250.00 was pretty reasonable and it's on my list of things to do.

8. Dec 1, 2008 at 6:25 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    Yes it will come with a key fob to remotely lock/unlock your doors. Also both doors will lock/unlock when you use your toyota key in the door or manually flip the buttons by your door handles.

9. Dec 1, 2008 at 7:11 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    man!! That sounds awesome! What did you pay??

10. Dec 1, 2008 at 9:16 AM
    the_tick

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    I suppose it was rude of me. Sorry for that. Was having a bad day. I'll bump next time now that I know that trick.

I was planning on running the new wire from the A1 kit through the hose from the door to the fuse box. Phantom mentions the "add a fuse" and pigtail it in. I'm not sure how that works. Any link to more info would be appreciated.

On the back my change dish, in front of the fuse box, there is a sticker that has some abbreviations for which fuse location is for what. I've attached a picture of it. If I use the "add a fuse" piggyback method can I use the fuse that seems to be for the door lock (I think it's the one labeled "DR LCK 20A")? Or should I tie into the ignition and if the ignition is the answer, is it tying into the fuse or am I splicing a wire?

I guess once I figure this out I'll be ready to get the power windows kit as well. Followed by the power mirrors.... And thanks to Phantom for letting me know about the rear speakers. I'll add that to my ever growing list of things I want to do. I dream a lot.

thanks for any help anyone can offer.

11. Dec 1, 2008 at 9:20 AM
    the_tick

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    here is the image with fuse diagram.
    [​IMG]

12. Dec 1, 2008 at 5:54 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Image didn't show up.

At the bottom below "submit reply", you will see manage attachments. Upload your pic here. When you click manage attachments a window will pop open. Browse for the file you are uploading, then click upload. When it is uploaded you will see it in that window & on this screen down by the manage attachments. Once uploaded you can close the manage attachments window & submit the reply.

The other way is to upload the pics in your gallery. Then copy and paste the link in a post on this thread.

13. Dec 2, 2008 at 3:56 PM
    the_tick

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    I think I got the picture up now. So can I can I tie my power lock kit into the top right fuse (labeled DR LCK 20A) via a pigtail fuse?

14. Dec 2, 2008 at 7:53 PM
    the_tick

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Bump. Hoping for a quick affirmation that to install a power lock kit I should tie into the "DR LCK 20A' with a pigtail fuse. Here's a sticker of the fuse box diagram that I found on the back of my change dish.

[​IMG]

Does that make sense or am I going to blow up my Tacoma?

15. Dec 22, 2008 at 2:20 PM
    jhjandal

jhjandal Member

Member:
    Hey "Tick",

Have you installed your power door lock kit? Please tell us if you did. I am interested in doing the same thing.

16. Dec 22, 2008 at 8:36 PM
    the_tick

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Haven't done it yet, but hope to do it in the next month or two. Waiting for some extra change in my pocket after Christmas. Also, still figuring out exactly the smartest way to tie in the power. I'm hoping to take pics and or video once I do get to the install point.

17. Dec 22, 2008 at 10:29 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    it really doesn't matter where you tie you power into so to speak. You just need to test it out and make sure that it is the type of power you need. ie. keyed or 12v constant.

I would assume you want constant power and that can be found with a simple test light.

If you have a link the the product you are installing I may be able to help out more.

These kits are fairly simple and work well for the cost.

I have done a few of these and a few alarms on different vehicles and TONS and TONS of stereo installs.

12v electrical systems are pretty easy to fumble around in.

18. Dec 22, 2008 at 11:21 PM
    the_tick

Member:
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Thanks for the reply Johnson8537! I'm looking at this kit here from A1 Electric. As mentioned I was planning on running the wire through the door to the control switch and from the switch to a power source via a pigtail fuse I would install in the fuse slot labled DR LCK 20A. Is there a better way? I'm not great at electrical stuff, but I've added some additional switches and wiring in my utility room when we built that on, so maybe I'll figure it out with your help, which is much appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top