1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power steering/cv boot problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dylandercole, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Feb 15, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    I was messing around the other day spinning some donuts and since then my power steering has been acting up. The power steering fluid was a little low so I added some, the belt is still in good condition, and it only is difficult to turn around 5-10mph. If i havnt driven the truck in a few hours then the steering works fine for about a half mile and then starts doing the same thing. I also noticed that my inner CV boot is blown to hell and spewing grease. I was curious to see if the CV boot being blown would maybe cause binding up that would feel like the power steering was out, and if not would you guys suggest replacing the power steering pump or maybe bleeding the lines?

2. Feb 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
  3. Feb 15, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R
    SAS.. Need I say more.
    Bleed the lines.. Generally you can tell if the pump is bad (on mine is squealed and whined and pissed and moaned all day long) Get that air out ASAP if there even is air in the line.

As far as the Cv, no. Just replace it before you get to much debris and destroy it.

4. Feb 16, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Neither...none of that will do anything.. if the CV boot/steering rack assembly is leaking than it's leaking. You need to get that replaced. Mine had the exact same issue as yours, fluid kept getting low, had to refill about every 2-3 weeks, leaking from the boots, hard to steer and noisy after a while. Basically had it replaced under warranty at Toyota. They put in an entire steering rack assembly and front end... I don't remember what the cost was that the warranty company paid but I want to say it was just under $1,000...

To Top