1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

power steering failure

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by coastalbum100, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Jun 22, 2011 at 11:09 PM
    coastalbum100

coastalbum100 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma 2.7 4wd
    hello this is my first thread i have a 97 4wd 2.7 engine rack and pinion went out i replaced the power steering pump twice and rack and pinion once still no power steering i read about a screen in the reservoir i dont see it pullin my hair out have bled the system for hours no sound from pump fluid circulates when steering wheel is turned but no power assist.every now and then pump whines a little then stops still no assist any help thank you.

2. Jun 25, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    coastalbum100

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma 2.7 4wd
    i fixed it the reservoir has a screen in it u have to take the reservoir off get some gas clean the screen with a brush till its spotless u can see right thru it now this should be done i think on a schedule their are a lot of people with this problem and a lot of pumps hoses and rack and pinions replaced for no reason.i still dont know how these screens get so dirty ? when u first look into the reservoir it looks like it has a bottom in it it doesn't that's just the dirty stopped up screen.clean it till u can see right thru it. it works i promise it fixed mine.

3. Jun 26, 2011 at 5:12 AM
    bicklebok

bicklebok Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronnie
    Montgomery, AL
    Vehicle:
    2000 Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5
    Glad you got it figured out,, and thanks for the tip!

4. Jul 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    67tone67

67tone67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Fulton Ms
    Vehicle:
    04 Dbl cab TRD
    My ps is still a PoS..... Ive cleaned my screen three times each time removing black flake like particles Not sure if its my pressure hose deteriorating from the inside or what.... Reservoir looks pretty clean from what i have cleaned 3 times..... Thought about getn a new reservoir? And hose? Idk. I flushed ( into puk bucket) the system BEFORE i bleed it everytime... I thought that was to rid the system of junk!!! Ive ben thru two pumps too... Im at a standstill on which part next?!

5. Jul 11, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    coastalbum100

Member:
    Vehicle:
    97 tacoma 2.7 4wd
    sounds like hose coming apart inside i know brake lines do it when my rack and pinion failed it put stuff like axle grease in my pump i dont think there are black flakes in the rack

To Top