1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

power steering fluid question

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by JGreene_93, May 3, 2020.

1. May 3, 2020 at 2:41 PM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
  2. May 4, 2020 at 1:32 AM
    Sep1911

Sep1911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Taco
    That would be news to me. As far as I know they specific that they test everything GM related so in that regard the backwards compatibility is tested and approved, but nothing non GM related is approved since there are a lot of factors out of their control like seal/clutch compatibility. Realistically in my opinion this is just a way of avoiding law suits since they are not going to spend money to test for other manufacturers. When I see toyota spec'ing Dex 3 since the 90s in their power steering I always wonder what the point of it is, and what the hell theyre putting in there from factory since theres no licensing for it. I've been to dealers and they dont know what to give you, the same way they've tried to sell me ATF or GL-5 gear for my manual trans. IMO toyota needs to step up their game a little bit and update their spec sheets or atleast offer fluids. GM had a recall on the Enclaves where they switched out peoples power steering from the "GM/AC Delco power steering fluid" formulation to Dexron VI, as part of the recall they were replacing the rack and pinion and they made all kinds of warnings that the new rack shouldnt come in contact with the old fluid, to flush the system to dex 6 first otherwise the seals can get damaged. I know some BMWs called for some expensive ass CHF hydraulic fluid where as other ones called for dexron. There was some mix up by owners over what the cap said since BMW kind of used the caps universally and they had issues with the racks developing leaks. For the sake of avoiding expensive repairs and seal compatibility it's best to just stick to some sort of ATF. It's not the best fluid for a power steering system, but works.

Personally when I got my truck 2 months in I was running 285/75/16 E-ply tires on heavy ass 16x10 wheels. When I weighed them they were coming in close to 90 lb each. By 20k the factory fluid was pretty dark and smelled burned hence I made the switch, I also added a power steering cooler just to be safe and I havn't had any issues since. I'm at 70k now and I'll replace the fluid occasionally if I'm bored and up for it.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    splitbolt[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. May 4, 2020 at 8:17 AM
    EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    '16 OR DCSB Fully Loaded
    Been thinking about this myself. My truck has always been on the low line of the cold temp. Even after driving awhile I havent seen the line move. I have an unopened qt of supertech atf dex3 in my garage. Is it worth draining the res and refilling to the full line? 40k miles

4. May 4, 2020 at 10:57 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I'd not 'drain' it, but just use an old baster to remove it.

Worth it? Well, you won't hurt anything. And you likely don't have any transmissions around needing that.

I will say that trans fluid is so high detergent that it makes a great hand cleaner for removing grease. Then they are easier to wash with your detergent of choice. :D

EdgeCrusher[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. May 5, 2020 at 5:20 PM
    Charlie213

Charlie213 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 OR TRD 6speed DCSB 4X4
    Just picked this up from the dealer. Is this the correct power steering fluid for my ride? Hard to trust them.

BDC2739A-BAAA-46D0-B3B6-EE30D570FACF.jpg

6. May 5, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    splitbolt

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Yes.
    It says Dexron III on the back, doesn't it?

7. May 5, 2020 at 7:27 PM
    Charlie213

Charlie213 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 OR TRD 6speed DCSB 4X4
    It only says Dexron. Just trying to make sure I have the right stuff.

B40B295E-0CDE-4FCE-ADEF-111714AFC460.jpg

8. May 6, 2020 at 3:48 AM
    splitbolt

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    It says, "Formulated to replace Dexron III..."

Products Discussed in

To Top