1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Power steering fluid spraying, need help asap

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Taco Mark86, May 30, 2015.

1. May 30, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    Taco Mark86

Taco Mark86 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB with some mods
    Magnaflow, Fox RR/ Camburg UCA up front, Bilsten 5100 and some kind of AAL/ leaf pack in the back?, Light bar w/ Hella, and an air freshener
    Hey guys I need some advice, my power steering randomly sprung a leak and sprays all the fluid out when the wheels are turned. I located the leak and it is coming from where a metal pipe/ hose connects to the power steering rack, and it only sprays out on left turns. I have done some research myself but can't find anyone who's had this problem. I tightened the nut where the pipe connects and it didn't fix it so I'm thinking a seal or O-ring is blown where it connects. Does anyone know what might be wrong and if replacing the pipe/ seal will fix it?

My truck is out of commission until I get this fixed so any input is appreciated. (2009 TRD OR)

Here is where its spraying fluid:

IMG_7646_d99ce3179b4eacc084aa37b1368e9772a0b73aaf.jpg
    FullSizeRender%201_f76b7600c110917c000acc48158b17f6c0617eee.jpg

2. May 30, 2015 at 4:13 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    Is the fitting leaking or the portion that's welded onto the rack? If it's on the rack you're going to have to replace it, if it's just the fitting you might be able to tighten it or pull it off and check the o-ring condition. Hopefully it's just a 15 cent o ring and you'll be good to go.

3. May 30, 2015 at 4:15 PM
    Taco Mark86

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB with some mods
    Magnaflow, Fox RR/ Camburg UCA up front, Bilsten 5100 and some kind of AAL/ leaf pack in the back?, Light bar w/ Hella, and an air freshener
    its hard to tell but I might just pull it and look at the O-ring

4. May 30, 2015 at 4:20 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    You can clean it up real well and give it a quick turn to the left and see if you can tell a little more. I'd say it's probably the line/fitting though, that's a pretty stout piece of the rack without much movement to cause a cracked weld.

5. May 30, 2015 at 4:47 PM
    Taco Mark86

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB with some mods
    just pulled it, the O-ring is fine. Cleaned it up and looked at t again, the tightening nut shrouds the pipe and it's leaking from under the nut

image.jpg

6. May 30, 2015 at 4:52 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    As in from the fitting itself? Something isn't sealing correctly then, the o-ring or the threads. It wasn't nicked or cracked? Sealing surface inside was good? No dirt, debris, gouges? You can try a little ATF compatible pipe dope on the threads to seal them up but if the o ring and sealing surface is fine you might just want to replace that pipe if the fitting is the issue.

7. May 30, 2015 at 5:09 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    The pipe dope is a good idea. If that still doesn't work then you may have no choice but to replace the line.

8. May 30, 2015 at 5:11 PM
    Taco Mark86

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB with some mods
    I thought about that, but if it doesn't work won't it be a bitch to get that thing off without the connection on the steering rack breaking/ stripping?

9. May 30, 2015 at 6:54 PM
    Taco Mark86

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB with some mods
    Update: got some stuff called Permatex High temp, basically a thread tape for an automotive application. Couldn't find any pipe dope for an automotive application. Thanks for the advice fellas

10. May 30, 2015 at 8:17 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    No, pipe dope seals but doesn't (generally) lock the threads like loctite would. Just forms a semi solid seal between the threads that doesn't allow fluid to get through.

Products Discussed in

To Top