1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

POWER STEERING NOISE

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by DARTHvader24, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Feb 20, 2017 at 10:00 PM
    DARTHvader24

DARTHvader24 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD 4X4
    When I turn my wheels all the way to one side, Still engaged in drive, holding down the break pedal for about 5 minutes, a high pitch noise develops and wont go away. (pretend like you are waiting inline to go through a drive through fast food with 5 cars ahead of you before you can order). I took it in for service and toyota engineers said its a normal sound on the tacomas and fr-s. Anyone else experience this? I have a 2016 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD 4x4 with about 12,000 miles.

2. Feb 20, 2017 at 10:05 PM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You arent supposed to hold any vehicle at full lock for any extended period of time.

Zoop, Herniator and ZachMX like this.
  3. Feb 20, 2017 at 10:12 PM
    DARTHvader24

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Let me try to clarify alittle. Turn the steering wheel towards one side but not locking or holding tension. Like going through a curved drive through. The steering wheel is turned but not locked. wheels turned. You are holding the brakes while in drive. Slowly advancing as cars move forward. The high pitch noise is annoying and stays on. I know if you lock the steering wheel to one side theres power steering noise but thats not it. Noise comes on after about 5 minutes.

4. Feb 21, 2017 at 6:32 AM
    Freetime

Freetime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC 4x4 Quicksand
    Hmm. Are you sure you aren't talking about the cricket noise from the HPFP? Both the tacoma and the FRS have this problem and it's well known. It doesn't just do it in drive-thru. You're just noticing it more because of the sound bouncing off stuff near you. Also, the sitting idle raises the engine bay temp which makes them louder. Is that the sound?

5. Feb 21, 2017 at 8:25 AM
    Scruffie

Scruffie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arsie
    Surrey B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 QuickSand Access TRD OR Manual
    265/75/16Dura,SSO Hybrid,X20,CruisinSliders,Skids
    Your hydraulic steering and hydro-boost brake systems both run off the same P/S pump. You have a belt tensioner and idler pulleys that I have seen make noise if loaded up for extended periods. (steeringbrakingsametime extended period) Pump nose bushing or maybe an idler bearing going south. I have already changed out one of the cheap crappy idlers on my truck. Lower drivers side.

6. Feb 21, 2017 at 11:34 AM
    DARTHvader24

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I been looking online and it looks like its a faulty HPFP. Some one had it changed by the dealer and 400 miles later the noise returned. Once the noise gets activated, Its a high pitch chirpping sound. You turn the steering wheel and noise goes away. Once you stop back into idle, the chirpping resumes really loud. Kinda like blowing through a whistle. I have a video I took with my phone. Im trying to upload it but its formatted mp4 from my samsung and wont upload. I need to format it into a different type file. Any suggestions?

7. Feb 21, 2017 at 1:04 PM
    Freetime

Freetime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC 4x4 Quicksand
    It's not faulty. That's the way they are. It will always come back. Trust me, I had mine replaced twice in the FRS. The dealerships have stopped replacing them. Even if they do replace it, it will come back. Ethanol fuel is the problem. If you want to stop the chirping, run a tank of non-ethanol fuel in the truck about every 4-5 tanks. It will lubricate the pump enough to stop it.

Products Discussed in

To Top