1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

powertrac locker

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by adamstoy, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    adamstoy

adamstoy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    Manchester NH
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAP PRERUNNER
    2.5 inch spacer, black headlight mod, tonnou cover,chrome bull bar and step bars motometal 958 chrome w/ cooper zeon ltz 285/60R18 TRD OR suspension angle eye projectors with hid 6k's
    is anyone here currently running a powertrac no slip locker in place of/in conjunction with their limited slip? I've been reading about these and they seem to be the most affordable and best mannered locker on the market for those without the factory trd OR locker. feedback would be great from anyone who has used these, how well they work offroad and if they are needed/work better than the factory limited slip open diff..thanks

2. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    You cant run "in conjunction" with. It replaces your ls. I have one I installed on my "02" if you have any questions pm me or search my threadds. I'll be happy to answer.

3. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    open diff= The tire with the least amount of friction has the power. (makes no sense to me)
    Limited slip= The tire that "slips" gets the "grips".
    Powertrax no slip= Lunchbox locker. Full time 2 wheel drive in the rear under accelleration.

4. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    Thats great. But it's still going to the wheel that is slipping as opposed to an open diff which has no traction at all.

5. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    Does ATRAC on lock both your rear wheels in? Not familiar with the new tacomas.
    I'm thinking the OP has a non TRD and doesnt have the option of ATRAC.

6. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:31 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    I see. I'm only a pre runner 4x2 and of first gen. However I can say that I would have never ever looked at the places that I go wheeling now before I installed my powertrax.
    It has great street manners. No ratchiting loud ass clunks or bangs like the lockrite.
    Easy install with basic hand tools and full time 2 wheel drive.

7. Oct 1, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    I would however NOT recommend the Powertrax to someone that lives in an area where you have seasonal snow or ice. Since Adam lives south of me in Beaufort, I dont think he has anything to worry about.

8. Oct 1, 2010 at 10:08 PM
    adamstoy

adamstoy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    Manchester NH
    Vehicle:
    09 DBL CAP PRERUNNER
    2.5 inch spacer, black headlight mod, tonnou cover,chrome bull bar and step bars motometal 958 chrome w/ cooper zeon ltz 285/60R18 TRD OR suspension angle eye projectors with hid 6k's
    so if i were to be in new england where snow and ice are a 4 month thing the powertrac would be a bad idea?

9. Oct 1, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    on manual truck its hardto drive with it. I had in mine and it was down scary. So I would not recomend that for daily driver unless you want to le learn driving.

Products Discussed in

To Top