1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Prayers for my family please, had to put down my dog

Discussion in 'Personal & Emotional Support' started by wesb1023, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Dec 5, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    wesb1023

wesb1023 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    Hello all, just wanted to thank everyone again for your thoughts and prayers, and let you guys know that I am doing much better today.
    God bless!

2. Dec 5, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Westly. When one takes a fragile little life - the first day you found Chance - and you nurture that life with love and food and kindness and your soul...you see the results of that and feel good inside knowing that you saved a life. A life that others thought may not be worth saving, yet turned out to be physically healthy and strong. Your family welcomed him into yours, and he became a part of your life.

But nobody can control what happened in the past. Although you tried, and you believed that he would be okay with people and with not be aggressive, you can't READ that. You can't see inside his head and see what he has been through. We can only speculate and assume and hope that our love will pull them through.

It was a HUGE thing to make that decision, one that is not usually ours to make. But you were strong and love him enough to cut through the tears and take care of things yourself. You were the last person he saw, and it's better than being some stranger being the last person. I hope you are not feeling guilty for this. Imagine if animal control came to take him away. He would go with a fight, it would be way more traumatic and painful. Your method avoided this and was the most loving way that it can be done.

Remember something, okay? Remember that the vet said to put him down when he was a puppy and that because you refused he had two years that he would otherwise not have. Two years of happiness and security. Two years of love. Love that he wasn't shown as a puppy.

Dang that dog was lucky. And you were too. Because if you put him down like the vet said you would never EVER had had that with him. So please - trust what you did was right. Because what you did in the beginning was right.

It hurts, but rather it be now, with you there with him, than after something worse happens and by the hands of a stranger, him being terrified.

Couldn't be any better.

((hugs))

3. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:10 AM
    JTacoma

JTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 2.7 4X4 5 speed
    Icon Stage 2 Coilovers, Camburg UCAs, 33x12.50x15 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP on American Racing AR201 15x10 wheels, differential drop, carrier bearing drop, BPV bracket, Leer canopy with Rhino Racks
    Sorry to hear about your dog. We just had to put mine down on Friday. I've had her since she was a puppy 11 years ago. She had tumors growing around her lungs and only had 1/4th lung capacity. She couldn't even lay down or sleep without choking. I hope we did the best thing for her.

4. Dec 5, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    I am very sorry to hear about your dog, I know how sometimes the best thing to do is also the hardest. I also had to put down my dog (my very first dog), he was a year and half and had epilipsy-vet said it was the most humane thing we could do after a 72 hour epileptic episode. Its been 4 years and still chokes me up to this day. I think you did the right thing even though im sure it was tuff.

good luck and god bless

5. Dec 5, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    Sorry to hear about this. Owned pets my whole life. It's never easy to say goodbye.

6. Dec 5, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Sorry for your loss.

7. Dec 5, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    wesb1023

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    Sorry about Cooper, sounds like Cooper and Chance had a few things in common. I dont blame the breed at all, I totally blame whoever put him in that cardboard box and dumped him out on the side of the road. Thanks

8. Dec 5, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    Frankoo1234

Frankoo1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    Double Cab 05 Taco PreRunner
    Running boards, Tint
    sorry for your loss.. you did the right thing.. i dont ever want to even have a thought about losing my pup.. wish you guys the best... maybe you should search for a puppy.. raise the pup and kid together and it will help cope with your loss

9. Dec 5, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    wesb1023

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    Honestly, what the OP did is a humane and non-frightening option of you want to do it at home. Not trying to sound cold, but dogs don't get scared when someone pulls a gun, they have no idea what they are and don't have the reaction people do. Personally, I don't think I'd be able to do it, but I know lots of people who have done it. Live in an very rural area and it is not uncommon.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for seeing it that way. I live in a rural area, and it is not uncommon. I really dont think I would have been able to do it either, but I have lived on a hog farm all my life and have experience euthanizing hogs. Without that experience I would not have even attempted. Thanks

10. Dec 5, 2011 at 5:03 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    This thread has made me teary, which is not easy to do.

OP, I am truly sorry for your loss. As others have said, you can take great solace in the fact that you gave him two wonderful years of life when he otherwise would have had none.

I cannot imagine being able to handle it myself. I would have cried like a baby and been inconsolable. You made him happy right to the end.

Good on you, sir.

11. Dec 5, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    wesb1023

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    Thank you so much for your kind words. My wife and I actually discussed how we were going to put him down and what options we had. We both love him so deeply, and our method was the best thing we could come up with. My wife looked at me and asked if I remembered the movie "Of Mice and Men" I immediatly knew what she meant and the decision of how it was going to be done was made. If you have not seen that movie it is highly recommended.
    Thank you so much, you are one of those people who know exactly what to say to make someone feel better!!

12. Dec 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    i had to put my best buddy down last year, and i was besides myself. it was for an illness (cancer), but the difference is really not important.

someone told me not long afterwards that doing that for your dog is the largest act of love and kindness you can possibly show them. at the time i was too sad to even think about it, but after reflection, i now believe that to be true.

to the OP, i pass this along to you. may you find comfort in knowing you gave that dog the best life he could have for 2 years, and when that life wasn't an option anymore, you showed him mercy and did so without thinking of yourself, a totally unselfish act. my condolences on your loss and i pray that time will heal your pain.

13. Dec 5, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    wesb1023

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    It sounds like you did the best thing for her. I am so deeply sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing.

14. Dec 5, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    wesb1023

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    We may search for a puppy, but not any time soon. We both need some time. Thanks

15. Dec 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    wesb1023

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    Thank you so much! I am sorry about your dog, and I dont think the illness matters either. Thank you again for your kind words!

16. Dec 5, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    TacomaChris

TacomaChris Well-Known Member

Member:
    You did the right thing bud - I know it's hard. It will get better with time. I've got 2 dogs of my own right now and I couldn't imagine losing either one of those guys...they are family members. Keep your head up

To Top