1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

pre 64 model 70

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by takern, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Jan 18, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    takern

takern [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    i was doing a bit of research on one of my rifles, and 1962 winchester model 70 in .270. apparently in the condition it is in it is worth about $1200!! i would never sell it though. my grandad bought it new in 62 and shot many a deer/antelope with it. my dad and all his brothers shot their first deer with it, as did I. my grandad gave it to my dad when he died, and my dad gave it to me. anyone else ever research some of their guns and find out some surprising stuff about it?

oh and here is a picture of me shooting it just because everyone likes pictures
    model70270_e0f3ada8a4e8356d686aa72bd136dcb051d8b367.jpg

2. Jan 19, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    MINTaco

MINTaco Active Member

Member:
    On a Lake in MN
    Vehicle:
    08 V6
    DIY Block Heater, Weathertechs, A.R.E. Utility Topper, aFe Pro Dry S
    beautiful rifle in JC O'Connor's caliber. Is it a featherweight? you can tell by the hole in the bolt handle.

3. Jan 19, 2010 at 5:46 AM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra Crewmax SR5 TRD Off Road.
    G2 bed cover
    I have a friend that I hunt and fish with who has 2 pre 64 model 70 featherweights in .243. He hunts with one and the other is in the original box, still packed in grease, and the bolt has never been in the rifle. I am 30 and have never seen anything like this and probally never will again. And he says the guy who gave him (yes gave them) these guns has a whole room full of classic firearms inthe same condition. The old man served in WWII and them worked on a ship yard in WA the whole time buying these guns and shipping them to his brother who in turn put all the guns in storage. When the old man retired he moved back to WV. He was never married, dosen't have any children and has no living family members.

4. Jan 19, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i grew up reading o'connor stuff..great reading!

that is a nice rifle. i have a regular M70, that drives tacks. i tried to find a pre-64, and the stuff i was coming across was whupped. i do admit, i am very rough on my equipment. i fell off a mountian and slid with my m70 on my back. destroyed the classic weaver scope (replaced it with a VX-III :)) and tattered the stock. sent it to viginia for repairs and accuracy work. came back "alright". i did a similar thing to a .257 weatherby, climbing for a mountian mulie...

i shouldnt (probably) own such a nice rifle.

5. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    My grandfather gave my dad his rifles about 10 years ago. One is a sporterized Mauser that he picked up after WW2. Anyway, Grandpa wasn't that wealthy (he was a lawyer that was drafted and stayed enlisted - go figure). He found some really cool blond wood from, of all things, a bowling alley. Took it to the gunsmith, who liked it so much that he made Grandpa the stock and kept the rest of that piece for his own gun - did it as an even trade.

So this gun is yellow/blond, with all intact Third Reich markings, and shoots probably 1-2 MOA with open sights at 100 yards. It's a bit heavy, but still lighter than a regular Mauser. And it's wood is amazing, polished, colorful, etc. Probably still with under 500 rounds too, so the rifling is really quite crisp.

I'll see if I can get some pictures.

6. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    MINTaco

MINTaco Active Member

Member:
    On a Lake in MN
    Vehicle:
    08 V6
    DIY Block Heater, Weathertechs, A.R.E. Utility Topper, aFe Pro Dry S
    Great rifles, the Mausers, and the basis for many a custom rifle. I also inherited Grandpa's Mod 70 Featherweight in .308. A great caliber for North woods deer hunting.

hillbilly....that featherweight in the box would bring some serious coin. 243 is a solid featherweight caliber. I'm partial to my Kimber in that offering.....it just plain shoots!!

Products Discussed in

To Top