1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pre-load or a higher rate spring? What's the difference? And dampening?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ItalynStylion, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Feb 7, 2018 at 7:46 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion [OP] Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    To start, I know a LITTLE about suspension but not a lot. The physics are simple but I need a bit of an explanation.

My situation is this: I have an Icon Stage 4 kit coupled with a Dakar leaf pack and it's been good to me. However, I'm wanting a bit of a softer ride since the truck spends 99% (or more) of its life on the road. And no, I don't feel bad about that. If you aren't driving 3 miles off road for every tank of gas you put through your Tacoma; you're in the same boat. But when I DO go offroad, I wheel some fairly gnarly stuff. I use every bit of my (down) travel and the truck performs great.

So I'm looking to potentially rebuild this set with CDC compression adjuster valves or I'm going to get a set of Kings with the adjusters on them. I understand this will give me the ability to firm up or soften the DAMPENING at a given time which sounds PERFECT for my use. Keep it soft when driving on the road and then firm it up a bit when I go do stupid stuff on the trails. Pretty sure I'm set on how this works. If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

What I don't understand is the resulting difference between increasing pre-load vs having a higher spring rate. Aren't they essentially achieving the same thing? I currently have a fair amount of pre-load on the front coils to achieve the desired amount of lift on my truck. It's within Icon spec though because I checked with them on the topic. My truck doesn't have a ton of armor on it so it's not super heavy.

Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated. :D

2. Feb 8, 2018 at 6:44 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    I was able to find this link that I believe answers my question. https://www.sportrider.com/technicalities-spring-rate-and-preload#page-5

As you can see from the picture below. The flatter line that starts higher is a softer spring rate with more preload. This would achieve the same lift height but would result in softer overall ride characteristics. The higher spring rate coil would be much rougher and is best suited for heavier vehicles.
    [​IMG]

So my conclusion is softer dampening and a slightly softer spring is more than likely where I need to be.

3. Feb 8, 2018 at 2:40 PM
    Rivermaniac

Rivermaniac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yea but the top line is longer , the other is more horizontal . So how long a spring with different rate .......

4. Feb 8, 2018 at 2:42 PM
    cory02taco

cory02taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd super sport
    Dampening: you're making it wetter, but only slightly.
    Damping: shock action

BattleKat likes this.
  5. Feb 8, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    If you have added preload on a 650# spring it still requires 650# of force to compress the spring one inch. A 700# spring without preload will require 700# of force to compress one inch. Adding or removing preload doesn't change the spring rate or what forces are required to compress it.
    If you add preload on a spring it does make it feel firmer because there's already force on it and in turn requires a greater amount of force to compress it.
    Your best move would be to opt for a 14" spring with the same spring rate to reduce the amount of preload while maintaining the same spring rate.

6. Feb 9, 2018 at 5:54 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Is that available? I agree that would be the best of both worlds. Is that a common thing? What length are springs normally?

7. Feb 9, 2018 at 6:34 AM
    Sub_Par

Sub_Par Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    It would still take the same amount of preload if he keeps the same spring rate. Preload is not the number of threads showing. You measure preload by subtracting the free length and compressed length. I think the question is, would more preload and lower spring rate be harsher than less preload but higher spring rate. @*TRD* any thoughts?

*TRD* likes this.
  8. Feb 9, 2018 at 6:35 AM
    Sub_Par

Sub_Par Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    Fox and Icon use 13” springs, Fox is 600lb and icon is 650lb. You can get 14” 600, 650 or 700lbs.

9. Feb 10, 2018 at 1:05 PM
    *TRD*

*TRD* Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Carson, Ca
    This is correct, lots of people mix these things up.

More preload is softer, unless you're bottoming out.

I prefer softer springs and lots of preload on a Tacoma. Then we prevent bottoming out with proper damping. The result is a much better ride.

go2cnavy and Sub_Par[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Feb 19, 2020 at 6:20 PM
    ToyotaRoamer86

ToyotaRoamer86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Frisco, CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Talk with Accutune! Ryan and the crew know a thing or two about Springs/Suspension and around get knowledge off their website as well!

08BajaBoy and AccuTune Offroad like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top