1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pre runner 4x4 Swap DONE!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 00PreRunner, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Jul 11, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    MstrYota

MstrYota Great balls of fire!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Ventura County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD 4x4 Prerunner/1998 TRD 4x4
    Too much but not enough!
    I thought I've heard of that. Ring done but needing a bunch of electrical work being done to get it to work. Can't remember for sure though...

2. Jul 11, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    taco71742

taco71742 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodstock GA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco DC 4x4 5spd
    3" Toytec Boss Lift with External reservoir and adjusters Prerunner to 4x4 conversion Manual locking hubs 16x10 w/-38 offset 305/70r16 Toyo RT tire
    I appreciate your input. I do plan on getting a diff with out auto disconnect, just to eliminate that need of wiring. Usually the 03-04 have that actuator behind the transfer case. 4wd will still work with this actuator disconnected correct?

3. Jul 11, 2017 at 2:33 PM
    taco71742

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodstock GA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco DC 4x4 5spd
    3" Toytec Boss Lift with External reservoir and adjusters Prerunner to 4x4 conversion Manual locking hubs 16x10 w/-38 offset 305/70r16 Toyo RT tire
    Thats what I don't want to do but I guess I have to in order for it to work. I'm guessing that the actuator connects the transmission to the transfer case which turns the front driveshaft.

4. Jul 11, 2017 at 3:52 PM
    MstrYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Ventura County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Too much but not enough!

You could just find yourself a transmission from the same year truck which will probably take some time. Its too bad they didn't just keep the old j shift transfer cases, they were much simpler and didn't have to deal with all that electrical BS

5. Jul 11, 2017 at 4:04 PM
    taco71742

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodstock GA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco DC 4x4 5spd
    That's where I'm stuck currently but I guess ill just rig it up to make it work. I doubt that the actuator works with the ECU so I can probably just feed 12v's to it and hope it works. As far as the transmission finding, they're expensive as hell and none of them come with a transfer case. I AM NOT QUITTING THOUGH

MstrYota[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jul 11, 2017 at 5:09 PM
    MstrYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Ventura County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Too much but not enough!
    No time limit on gear things, except for how long you can stand looking at parts in your garage for lol. Took me almost a year to get everything done

7. Jul 11, 2017 at 5:14 PM
    taco71742

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodstock GA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco DC 4x4 5spd
    Haha I did the same thing on a 3rz engine. I took it all apart and got lazy and a year later I put it together and sold the truck.

MstrYota[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jul 12, 2017 at 9:32 AM
    snotaco

snotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2003 prerunner tacoma
    2003 tacoma double cab, prerunner, 4wd conversion, 5 speed conversion, dual cases with inchworm clockable adapter, toytec ultimate coil overs, trd supercharger with urd 7th injector, 37 inch mastercraft mxt's, arb front locker
    i know this was from awhile ago but that actuator is actually what makes it go from 2wd to 4wd, and you pull a lever to make it go from low to high range. there is also wire that would talk to the front diff to make the front diff lock. with manual hubs you wouldnt have to worry about that.

when i first did my swap on my tacoma i had a tcase with the actuator until it seized up in between 2 and 4wd, ive since taken it out and replaced with a j shift for simplicity and reliability out wheeling.

Dalandser likes this.
  9. Jul 12, 2017 at 9:52 AM
    MstrYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Ventura County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Too much but not enough!
    I figured thats what it was deeming it useless to me so I had to buy a normal j shift which bolted right up. (4Runner Transfer Case is for sale btw, I'll let it go dirt cheap)

10. Jul 14, 2017 at 2:06 AM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    Okay so from what I've gathered from doing some research I have a couple of outstanding questions:

- I have a 2.7l 3RZ-FE like you do. You mentioned having to modify the transmission cross-member that supports the transfer case. Are there any other cross-members that won't bolt up or support the transmission/t-case assembly? What did you have to do?
    - I have the A340E Auto Trans - From what I've gathered I would need the A340F Trans. Do I need an A340F that specifically came off of a 4Runner/Tacoma 3RZ-FE or could I use any A340F from any Toyota vehicle regardless of model and engine type?
    - Transfer Case wise, do I need a specific t-case from a specific car or engine type 4-cyl vs. 6-cyl? I want to go the manual hub route for simplicity and most of the t-cases I find have the ADD actuator. Would it affect anything?
    - A majority of the write-ups on here for the conversion all involve the v6 5VZ-FE, I noticed someone mentioned the 5VZ-FE sits farther forward than the 3RZ-FE. Does this affect anything mounting wise for the transmission assembly?
    - Some write-ups mentioned having to cut and extend some wiring harness to the transmission (I think for the speed sensor or some other sensors). Did you run into this issue?
    - Rear Driveshaft wise, since the trans. is now longer with the t-case I'm guessing I need a shorter driveshaft. Would it be cheaper to get it shortened by a shop or should I just buy a new driveshaft in the correct length?
    - I know 2003-2004 Tacomas have drive-by-wire. Does this affect which kind of A340F trans I can use?
    - Would a Double Cab have different sized driveshafts than an Ext. Cab?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  11. Jul 14, 2017 at 7:28 AM
    pray4surf

pray4surf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 PreRunner conv to 4x4
    F&R suspension, OBA, Custom bed rack, RTT, rear frame plates, 4x4 conversion from prerunner, many other
    - I didn't have to modify any crossmembers
    - Don't see why not, You are limited on the number of other toyota vehicles with the A340F trans as it was only offered in 4WD models
    - T-cases have nothing to do with ADD. You can either have a push-button or J-shift transfer cases. J-Shift reduces the number of electronic/electric issues. All ADD does is eliminate the need to manually engage the front hubs...
    - I believe I was the one mentioning positioning of the engine. Didn't affect any bolting up of the components. Did require modifying the 4WD selector lever and modifying the front and rear driveshafts
    - Speed sensor wires had to be lengthened
    - I found it cheaper to modify existing driveshafts
    - Yes if your truck has the A340E 'drive-by-wire' transmission, then you'll need the 'drive-by-wire A340F transmission**
    - No, driveshafts are the same

** there is a lot of similarities between the A340E and A340F transmissions. It may be possible to convert a 'drive-by-wire' to a mechanical transmission. It was only recently that someone figured out how to convert an A340E to an A340F by swapping out tail cones and a few other parts...

Just my 2 cents...

12. Jul 14, 2017 at 9:42 AM
    MstrYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Ventura County, CA
    Vehicle:
    Too much but not enough!
    If you don't have a driveshaft shop close by you could post an ad looking for the shorter shaft on here, I did that and got one in a week or two for a killer deal. Same thing with a lot of parts, browse the Parts marketplace or post ISO ads on here and you're bound to get what you need

13. Aug 20, 2017 at 7:48 PM
    00PreRunner

00PreRunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jackson, MS
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB 4x4
    2005 DCSB, 4x4, Auto. more to come...
    Sorry I have not replied to any questions recently, my summer schedule has been crazy. But I will try to answer all of the questions you have and hope it isn't too late.
    1. The only modification I had to do was for the stock transmission cross member, I just cut the center out and scooted it forward.
    2. I think any A340F will work, regardless of the vehicle, but the bell housings will be different. The 3RZ and 5VZ has a different bell housing but a 3RZ bell housing should bolt to any A340 series transmissions.
    3. The only thing I ran into with the transfer case was the VSS. From '95.5-'97 Toyota used a mechanical VSS and from '98-on they used an electronic VSS. I had a t case from a '97 with the mechanical VSS and a 2000 Tacoma, set up for the electronic VSS. Low Range Offroad sells an adapter that will correct this issue. I had to lengthen all the wires for this by about 10 inches. As far as a t case from a truck with ADD, none of that will affect anything, unless you run an ADD front end, in which case I think all that is required is that you plug the wire from the t case to the actuator on the front axle.
    4. I cannot confirm any information about the 5VZ engines sitting further forward.
    5. Ok, Toyota made drive shaft mods difficult when they gave their shafts a tapered end going to the U Joint. This means in order to shorten one, you have to cut out a section of shaft and weld it back, and hope it doesn't shake the truck from being out of round. Unless someone has found a better way to modify tacoma shafts, thats all I know to do, unless you can find a stock shaft that will work. I ordered the front section of a rear shaft out of a 3RZ Ext cab, 4x4, and it fit perfectly. I also cut a section out of my stock shaft and welded it back, and ran it for a short time with no noticeable vibrations.
    6. I would have to dig around to find out anything about drive by wire and autos. Swapping to a manual trans kept me out of the loop for that.
    7. I may be dead wrong, but I am almost sure that the driveshafts of an ext cab and four door match up, if they have the same options, such as a 5VZ 4x4. I can actually get those dimensions if anyone wants them.

I hope some of this is helpful, and again apologize for being away from the forum for so long. If you have any questions feel free to let me know. I'm glad to see this thread is still getting some use.

14. Aug 20, 2017 at 11:00 PM
    BartMaster1234

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    Flux Capacitor
    Not late at all. I almost have all the parts, I just picked up the manual hubs yesterday. I ended up getting a front differential out of a 4Runner, but it does have ADD. My plan was to buy a manual hub jackshaft/axle tube and swap it on the 4Runner to elimate the electronic and vacuum system entirely.

There's a ton of plugs on the t-case that I have no idea what they do, I know one is for the speed sensor. What electrical connectors were left unused when you did the swap?

Thanks for the reply.

15. Aug 21, 2017 at 9:58 AM
    00PreRunner

Member:
    Jackson, MS
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB 4x4
    Ok, if I remember correctly, the only wires on my t case we're a pack of about three wires that I assume had something to do with the 4x4 light on the dash, I don't know what else they would do. The VSS was the only other place for wiring on the t case. Again, this was a t case from a 1997 Taco with no ADD. And I regret to say I sold the truck otherwise I would go look underneath it right now. Do you know what year your t case is from?
    Also, are you going to use the ADD front end with the manual hubs? Or are you still trying to find a different tube?

16. Aug 21, 2017 at 10:23 AM
    BartMaster1234

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    Flux Capacitor
    1999 T-Case. This is a year where the VSS was electronic and not cable driven.

I am planning on using a manual tube, and eliminating the the ADD tube. But I'm open to using the ADD tube if possible.

17. Aug 26, 2017 at 8:07 AM
    00PreRunner

Member:
    Jackson, MS
    Vehicle:
    '05 DCSB 4x4
    I think using the manual tube is the easier route because you will not have to worry about setting up the ADD actuator. That's why I went with manual hubs on my swap. But it's possible to use the ADD, just more work but it may be worth it for you.

18. Sep 9, 2017 at 9:58 AM
    HenryG

HenryG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington State
    Did you end up doing this swap?

19. Sep 9, 2017 at 2:50 PM
    Nicklovin

Nicklovin Mall Crawlin Through Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    00 The Tunda - 0̶4̶ P̶r̶e̶r̶u̶n̶n̶e̶r̶ - 0̶1̶ O̶v̶e̶r̶l̶a̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ - 07 FJ Mall Crawler Xtrme
    Tacoless
    Nah switched my focus to college instead of the truck
    Not to mention I lack the mechanical know how to do this swap hahah

20. Oct 13, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    frenchee

frenchee Favorite Member

Member:
    Oceanside CA Area
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD Double Cab 4x4
    Converted to 4WD DD VW MK6 TDI
    Wow, lot of good info in this thread. Seems like more and more 4x4 swap threads/knowledge is being shared. Wasn’t as much when I did mine only a year or so ago.

Products Discussed in

To Top