1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pre Runner off road capabilities

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TAC1, May 26, 2012.

1. May 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    TAC1

TAC1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    In case I decide that I need the LSD & since I like to do my homework, I called the local Toyota Dealer. They quoted me:

$570 for labor.
    $410 for the LSD differential case.

and they recommend that I change the carrier bearrings & they have to shim it but I didn't get a price on that. It's a 6 hour job, according to them.

Does this sound reasonable?

BTW, as far as tires go. When I had the P265/70r16 General's on there I would spin those tires at will. Now with my LT265/75r16's BFG A/T's @ 35 psi, when I step on the gas from a stand still these tires don't even squeal. I have tried quite a few times to get them to break loose from a stand still & traffic lights & it doesn't happen. That makes me feel better that atleast I have good tires to help the open differential.

The boat that I will be towing (with tandem axle trailer & all equipment & half a tank of gas) weighs 4,650 lbs. I had it weighed at the one of the public scales in Miami. I've towed the boat around town but haven't taken it to the ramp yet. It is a concrete ramp so I should be OK. My bro-in-law has a Silverado 1500 & went along with me when I towed the boat & he was surprised at how well the truck drives & accelerates. He also told me about the "poor mans LSD". Applying the brakes just enough to keep the tires from spinning, if in case that happens. Anyone have a similiar experience with this?

2. May 29, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.

Don't spend money on trying to improve your 2wd's traction. If it's stock traction is not good enough for you, no amount of money (or time) you spend on it is going to improve the traction enough to justify what you spent to improve it.

Throw a little lift and some tires on there and call it good. If you end up spinning your new tire bald trying to go places the truck will never take you, trade it in on a 4wd.

If you don't spin your tire bald then the truck had all the traction you ever needed in stock form.

Good luck.

3. May 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    That makes sense. The truth is that I'll be pulling the boat more often than I'll be off roading & from what I've read in other posts, this truck with my current set-up can pull the boat out without any issues. As for the mild off roading, I won't go alone & I'll choose carefully where I go.

4. May 29, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    You'll be fine. I was slopping around in some mud last weekend and did just fine. Nothing major but enough to cause a problem if I got stuck lol! Here's one mud hole that was, um, deeper than I thought.

IMAG0101_d629cf83e0facf8c53671d52d271d1e81dd4f554.jpg

5. May 29, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Unless its nothing more than a muddy road or you're prepared to get stuck, avoid florida mud in a 2wd. Even locked with mud tires, you're going to get stuck.

Best thing you can do is get good all terrains or M/Ts, depending on your driving habits, and be ready to air down and potentially get stuck. Knowing the limits of your vehicle helps alot.

6. May 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    ALL OF YOU have been so helpful so far! I am leaning more towards not spending the roughly $900 for the LSD set-up.

WilsonThe Dog,
    I am very grateful to you for posting that pic. That is the type of roads I will be driving on when I do my version of off-road. I think my AT's can handle that. I also ordered this:

[​IMG]

7. May 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    No problem. Just prepare as best you can and bring a buddy if possible. Have fun!

8. May 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
  9. May 29, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Anything but hills

Done some pretty tricky trails, only get stuck on steep inclines, dont have the front wheels to pull me up. Gravel, dirt, mud, rivers, boulders. :cool:

Just need a buddy and a winch/tow strap.

DSC_1208_9ae32e5f45369339198219ae8321e1e00f8442e0.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. May 30, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I realize you've stated that you want a dealer to do this, but I would seriously consider finding a reputable on-line vendor and/or a local shop and find out what they recommend, prices, and warrantees. I know an LSD has to be cheaper then the dealer's quote you have. Might also think about finding the right parts and then checking the salvage/junk yards out.

11. May 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Hello again Forum,

Look at these burnout pics:

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/TACRUN1/burnoutI.jpg
    http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/TACRUN1/burnoutIII.jpg
    http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/TACRUN1/burnoutII.jpg

These were both done at the same location.

The 1st pic is from a burnout that I did about 2 months ago with P265/70r16 Generals. I actually forgot about this one.

The 2nd pic is from this morning with my LT265/75r16 BFG A/T's.

The 3rd pic is the same burnout. I just circles the building & ended up behind where I first started.

I did one more burnout but I did not take pics. Same result though. As I previously stated, from a standstill if you step on the gas, the truck just takes off but no tire squeal. I had to power brake & release the brake pedal at around 2800 rpm.

It seems that both tires are pulling together. Can this mean a posi? My truck has the tow package. Does that make a difference?

Thanks folks:D

12. May 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Op, open diffs absolutley suck, you have 1wd and will start spinning and digging in your tires on the smallest shit. Unless you want to pull the trigger and get a locker don't go on anything other than moderate dirt paths with out a buddy with a decent 4x4 (don't need 2 of you stuck) and a tow strap. Another suggestion would be to get hitches put in the front and rear and get a good winch that can be put in a hitch so you can pull yourself from front and rear. It won't make the truck better off road and it will save your ass if you get stuck.

13. May 30, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    On an open diff if neither tire gets traction both tires will spin, as soon as one tire gets more traction than the other it will spin only one tire.

I believe if you jack up the rear of the truck and spin one back tire and the other tire spins in the same direction, you have posi, if the other tires spins in the opposite direction you have an open diff.

I may be wrong on that I'm trying to pull out a little shade tree knowledge from back in the day. Things may have changed.

At any rate its my opinion posi or not, your not gaining much by trying to improve traction on a 2wd if its going to cost you 1k to do it. All that 1k is going to do is get you 100 yards farther on a trail you shouldn't be on anyway and allow you to get REALLY stuck. No disrespect to 2wd but I think you can polish a turd all you want and its still going to be a turd.

This discussion is similar to the one jeepers have about their dana 30 fronts. Guys dump tons of money into the 30's hoping they can make them strong enough to run 35's and bigger on tough trails and in the end you get a broken jeep on a trail where its near impossible to get it out.

There is of course always that one guy who has run a dana 30 for 20 years on 40'' tires and never had a problem. Most of us will never be that guy.

You can roll the dice dump a grand into your rear diff and perhaps you may become the exception, you just have to decide if a grand is worth the probable outcome of disappointment.

14. May 31, 2012 at 5:47 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    OP, note that you can also create your own "poor mans" LSD with just your left foot. If you're in a situation where your peg-legged (one wheel no traction), apply a bit of brake and accel at the same time. Applying some brake in this situation will act like an lsd by re-directly some power from the unloaded tire over to the loaded tire. Works well on boat ramps once your master the method, should also work in trail situations.

Also the suggestion to jack up the rear and spin one wheel is good for figuring out if you have an lsd. Spin one wheel forward and if the other also spins forward, lsd, if the other wheel spins backwards, pegleg.

15. Jun 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    azchris

azchris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    Click sig for build thread
    Just a note, if you have the latest ECU flash, you need to use the parking brake and not the brake pedal. With the latest ECU, applying the brakes sets the computer's throttle to 0 no matter how much you push the gas pedal.

16. Jun 1, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    azchris

azchris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    Click sig for build thread
    Oh, that's good to know! I have an 11, so I didn't get the flash applied at the dealer, and there's no explanation I could find in the user manual on the intricacies of it.

17. Jun 1, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    FL TRD

FL TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    Alright I have a TRD off road prerunner with a 3" lift and duratracs and a push button locker and I wouldnt take my truck in any of these places. I live in Homestead and have been around all these areas for off roading. You will not get to far around 137 and 8th st or "Rinker" the mud is to nasty for any 2wd vehicle theres not to many places you can go with your truck bird road is really nasty and the hump in Homestead is under water. I use my truck to pull my trailer full of atvs to these places seen too many 4wd vehicles stuck out there to even think of trying with my truck.

18. Jun 3, 2012 at 8:17 AM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    OK FL TRD, I see that you are familiar with the area. It looks like I may be opting for some trails & dirt roads instead of mudding. Are you, or any one else here, familiar with Loop Road in the Everglades? Or are you aware of any other trails in the area?:D

19. Jun 3, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    FL TRD

FL TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    Loop road is fine its just a dirt road plus you can hunt off it. You Could go through JW corbit up north to no problem. Theres dirt trails around the homestead area around the farm fields to. My dad actually has property up in the clewiston area thats full of sand trails thats pretty fun to go through.

20. Jun 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    TAC1

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    I really appreciate the info. BTW, where is JW corbit? I definitely want to familiarize myself with dirt trails in the South Florida area.:D. Again, thanks for the info & thanks ALL OF THE REST OF YOU who have responded:D

Products Discussed in

To Top