1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

predator rifles

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by vtragweed, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Jan 28, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    The .17 HMR is a very fun accurate gun to shoot. When I was in idaho we would go "whistle pig" shooting every weekend. It would either rip their heads off or cut them in half :eek: haha

2. Jan 28, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I had a Mini 14. A lot of fun to shoot but don't expect any accuracy from that spaghetti noodle barrel. It was probably the least accurate gun I've ever owned.

3. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    Untamed_SS

Untamed_SS Stayed Up Too Late

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue Access Cab
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    So, pretty much, the extra 2-300 I would spend on an AR is worth it yes?

4. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    AR's are very easy to customize. I say yes.

5. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Alpine iDA-X200 Deck, Rockford P3, Infinity 1600 A Amp, Black Badges, "KnightRider Mod", Back-up lights. Painted Engine Cover. TRD QuickShifter & Shift Knob. MAF Calibrator. Doug Thorley LT Headers. Custom Y-Pipe. Flowmaster 50 series. Satoshi Grill
    yeah I see. Originally I wanted to stay away from that platform cause I just got kinda bored with having the M-16 all the time. Wanted something new. But it is indeed a nice weapon. :) I guess I'll just end up doing that.

Whats the best way to get one? Buy the whole package? or complete upper/lower? stripped upper/lower?

And I know its been said already, but brand wise, who should I stay away from and who would yall suggest?

And one last thing, .308 or .223. I know the cost of ammo is a concern, but over-all what would you want to have when the zombies start taking over?

6. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Let's not give the anti-hunting crowd any more material.
    AR that's set up for long range accuracy, not mall ninja quad rail, tac lite and slaved magazines, would be ideal.
    I recommend Rock River Varmint or Predator Pursuit.
    You can shoot much heavier bullets with 1/8 twist.

7. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Well, as a Jar head you know the weapon inside and out. The .308 is awesome, but what do you want to use it for? Predators= .223 Bigger game would = .308

.223 is an effective round with low recoil making follow up shots easier. But I do enjoy the initial knock down of the .308

8. Jan 28, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I have a vision of coyote hunting. But I like the power of a .308. Especially if I can get one close to the same price. But I don't see myself needing 10 or even 20 (or however many) rounds of .308 to do anything really.

Unless the said zombie outbreak occurs :rolleyes: Then I'd just regret that choice.

9. Jan 28, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i've been happy with mine. it is not a tack driver...but then again...i'm no sniper either. :) it does fine for me out to about 250 meters when using a milk jug as a target. i prettymuch only use it to groundhawg hunt, so i don't need subMOA accuracy. as mentioned above, the barrels are not heavy enough and will flex when fired. it can be made into an excellent rifle if you want to spend the cash, but i never seem to need more range/accuracy out of it than it already has. what the mini has going for it is reliability. it will go bang when you pull the trigger. the gas system it uses is self cleaning and the closed bolt design is impervious to dirt/grime for the most part. maintenance is easy as well...not that i do much of it...that's why i bought the stainless model.:eek:

this is where you send them if you want a Mini-monster:
    http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php#Kreigerbarrel

10. Jan 28, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    Untamed_SS

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Wow. Def not for that price. Thats EFFIN stupid.

Thanks for the link though.

If I win the lottery I'll be back. :rolleyes:

11. Jan 28, 2010 at 2:33 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    my vote goes to the remington 597 semiauto .22. not for alotta bigtime distance, as you'd have with a .17 hmr.....but the .22 is fun as hell to shoot, and with a headshot for coyotes and such....you're good to go. just my thought anyway.

12. Jan 28, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    An 18.5" barrel or longer with a 77gr projectile will do amazing things. The sniper rifle with the most kills since 911 has been a Mark 12.

13. Jan 28, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    Tadcaster

Tadcaster Dogs n Trucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD Off Road
    It pains me to see an air force puke giving a Marine sound advice when it comes to firearms. :eek:

My wife raises sheep. They attract yotes. If I see them first I reach for the .308 or 6.5x55 Swede, both in a bolt action M77 MkII. Either one will let me drop them at 400 yards, which is as far as I can see given the terrain around here. If I hear a commotion in the sheep shed or the chicken coop I reach for the (a) 12ga or (b) Mini 14 so I can either (a) kill everything, or (b) snap off several well-aimed rounds without taking my scope off the target.

I like the Mini 14 for that type of situation. It's not particularly accurate, but when dealing with a predator your immediate kill zone is about the size of a soda can and virtually any hit is going to incapacitate the animal or convince it to stay far away from you.

But the bottom line for any firearm is you need to practice placing your rounds. If you're scrawny, like the typical air force recruit, recoil hurts and you flinch or worse, stop practicing. It's hard to improve your marksmanship if you're afraid of the weapon, and many a novice has a magnum or an '06 in the closet gathering dust for that very reason. It's also hard to improve your marksmanship if you get an assault-style weapon with the goal of spraying lead till you eventually hit something.

So again, and it pains me to admit this, that airman gives sound advice.

Pete
    Retired Chief Warrant Officer of Marines

14. Jan 29, 2010 at 3:41 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    :laugh: pretty nuts, huh? some of the conversions they do are sweet...but in that price range i think i'd rather keep saving and get a SCAR.

15. Jan 29, 2010 at 4:59 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Surprised no has said to get a glock.

I had a Mini 14 stainless. It was fun to shoot, not very accurate.

16. Jan 29, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    CaliforniaKid

CaliforniaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab TRD OR
    Under Cover Bed Cover
    I had a couple of minis and both were fairly accurate. Both shot 5 shot groups, under a quarter at 100 yards. But my current yote gun is a Savage series 12 BVSS in .243. That puppy will shoot 1 hole groups at a hundred, but is a little heavy to carry all day. Son in law has an inexpensive Savage, syn stock in 22-250 and he sure takes his share of yotes, but a heavier bullet will buck the wind better and deliver more energy. Your hunting conditions and distances are going to be the determining factors. However, as others have stated, practice will take down more dogs than any rifle you choose.

17. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    AZCOMA

AZCOMA where can't I go?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kacey
    Laveen
    Vehicle:
    05 Preunner sr5
    2.5 saw co's, n-fab bed cage rear tire mount,new head unit and 10"sub,285/75/16 nittos on M/T wheels,H.I.D.'s...The next mod is T.C. long travle kit,Deavers and glass all the way around.
    all this talk makes me want to go yote yippen right now!

18. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    Get a GLOCK!

19. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    I know. I know. It was a response to someone elses post. :D

20. Jul 12, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    x3.

I have this rifle in .204 Ruger. Amazing. Standard .223 mags work with this round so you can have 30 rounds of .204 handy for 30 p-dogs. I recommend .204 in an AR platform over bolt action. Panther Arms also sells AR's in chambered for .204.

Products Discussed in

To Top